What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Post by Johnsusername »

So many great scenes, obviously - but if you could pick one that made it all worthwhile, all those years of waiting and anticipating...

Mine would be... Norma and Big Ed! Man, amazing. From Nadine marching up the road with her golden shovel and laying it all on the line for Ed (I wish we'd had more Nadine, she plays her part so well and found her much more enjoyable this time round), through to Ed's crushing disappointment ("cyanide pill"), Walter's rejection, and finally Norma's hands appearing on Ed's shoulders. I'm pretty cold hearted most of the time, but even i was close to tears along with Shelly.

The whole scene is so well put together - the music, the editing, the locations. Even the drawn out end of the piece with the music climaxing and the view of the blue sky and the sun shining.

Man - I loved the Return, but this scene more than any really was a punch-the-air moment, 27 years in waiting!

(For what it's worth, the final phonecall between Margaret and Hawk and its beautifully shot aftermath ran a close second, but I decided to go with the happier scene.)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

You picked the two scenes that made me cry! Excellent work haha.

It’s tough, but I’d probably have to say the “Mansion Room”/Naido scene from the beginning of Part 3, with honorable mention to the Woodsmen working on the dead Mr. C in Part 8. I like eerie surreal nightmarish DKL best, and those were two of the strongest moments.
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

They are two great scenes also! Especially the purple sea - watching that for the first time open mouthed ("That's Ronette Pulaski!") as it opened up a huge TP universe.

You know, the criticism from some that Lynch was purposely obtuse about not coming to satisfactory conclusions with storylines - well, they don't come more satisfyingly 'closed' than Ed/Norma and the Log Lady.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

all the scenes were excellent.

but the one scene that captured the Mood of this show perfectly, for me anyway, is the one where Cooper is staring at the statue while Johnny Jewel music is playing over it.

I even thought it was a huge strength that is was split over the 2 eps so that mood could carry over.

but honestly all the scenes were great -- even if maybe all didn't jell the way we wanted in regards to the The Return.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

The closing scene of the opening two-parter was the most heartwarming for me.
The sight of the familiar characters of Shelly, James and Jacques, sorry Jean-Michel Renault wrapped in the glorious sound of the Chromatics' Shadow confirmed that the spirit of Twin Peaks was still alive.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

I love these three scenes/moments:
-Meeting Naido for the first time and meeting the American Girl later. I don't like the fact that Naido was Diane but this scene was amazing nevertheless. And although many of the "lodge speaking" was done pretty poorly in this season I thought Phoebe Augustine delivered it in absolutely perfect manner.
-Audrey's "What?" in front of the mirror. I didn't like any of her scenes in this season - yes, including Audrey's dance - but this moment was one of the best scenes in the whole season.
-"Dougie" staying late at the statue. Mood-wise this moment was the best in the whole series.

But if there should be one scene I would pick as the one that would reward my over 25 years old stacked up anticipation storywise as a continuation of Seasons 1 and 2, it would be this:
-Frank Truman examining the diary pages, mentioning Annie etc.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

There are so many to choose from. The show was captivating from beginning to end. A quick list of favs

The arm wrestling scene

The woodsmen reviving Mr.C in Ep 8

The Mitchum brothers with Dougie and the cherry pie in the desert

Hastings breakdown "I wanna go scuba diving"

Those are some stand outs for me.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

- Cooper seeing Laura in the Red Room after 25 years. I don't think I took a breath during that scene. I couldn't believe this moment I had been waiting for over 25 years was actually happening.

Also, the crowd parting for Audrey's Dance and "I am the FBI."

And every scene from Episode 8. :mrgreen:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Oh yeh, “Audrey’s Dance is way up there for me too. Goosebumps.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Cooper saying goodbye to Janey-E and Sonny Jim is a big favorite, since it shows all the wonderful aspects of Cooper's character and it gives Naomi Watts that opportunity to switch from light-hearted to poignant, which she did so wonderfully well in Mulholland Drive.

Otherwise, pretty much all of Part 18 - a masterful hour of paranoia and unsettling atmosphere, mostly achieved by the pervasive sense of something being just wrong. I've never seen Lynch achieve so much by using so little.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Johnsusername
Roadhouse Member

Post by Johnsusername »

These are all great scenes! I agree with them all (and especially mathew lillard's interrogation scene - wow he really knocked that out the park, even if at the time it wasn't strictly Twin Peaks).

I guess if we're listing other favourites.... these all have a theme(!)

- When Andy is waiting on the road in the woods for the guy who owned the truck but he doesn't come, and the camera pans very ominously to his front door which is open (but we never find out what happened)

- When Cooper knocks on the door in Odessa and Laura/Carrie opens it. His confusion, her confusion, and the viewer's confusion! Amazing. Just amazing stuff. I'd waited for that since I was 11 years old and now i'm 37!!

- When Cooper knocks on the door of the Palmer house. That whole scene is so tense and dizzying - even more so than the Odessa one.

I've only just went through my second rewatch. It's even more powerful watching it over a few days, rather than many weeks. The whole finale is like a bad dream.
zeronumber
RR Diner Member

Post by zeronumber »

Any scene with Diane (slash Diane-tulpa).
From her splendid reveal as Laura Dern with Albert, through her interview with Mr.C; her subsequent deputization/betraryal with the BLue Rose TF.

To her dispatch and apothesis in the Red Room...

Only to return as Diane, truly and to then fade as never seen but kissed as Linda...

The best scenes all...

Sent from my NEC-NE-201A1A using Tapatalk
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

If I had to pick one main favorite, it would be the Woodsman's poem. That introduced a welcome sense of horror to the series which needed it at that point, but overall was too lacking in it. I can't say something positive about the show without bringing in a negative, which is that while that scene was so great and mysterious, nothing in it or that episode was satisfactorily followed up on.

Honorable mention to Mr. C killing Darya and his call -- same situation, so promising and mysterious, no payoff. The Log Lady's "Laura is the one" speech was also a favorite. Also Sarah at the store and her inarticulate proclamation of pain and depression in my quote, as well as Freddie's origin story. For some reason I also like Steven and Gersten in the woods, even though I hated it initially. It has no context, the lines have been removed, but I liked Jones' wigged-out performance.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:For some reason I also like Steven and Gersten in the woods, even though I hated it initially. It has no context, the lines have been removed, but I liked Jones' wigged-out performance.
This is also one of my favorite scenes, as I’ve said before. It really draws you into their sense of paranoia and anxiety and fear. The last cathartic moment of Gersten drinking in the peacefulness of nature is so beautiful.

Pretty much any scene with Sarah is a favorite as well, but I think my top pick for her is still the Part 2 scene watching the violent nature film. There’s something so eerie about her performance, and the use of the mirror is great.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

The Chromatics Roadhouse scene at the end of part 2. I'll never forget the feeling of seeing this for the 1st time. After two hours mainly outside Twin Peaks, suddenly we're back in the town. There's James! There's Shelley! There's someone who looks an awful lot like Jacques Renault! Does James have a son now? What's the deal with Shelley and Balthazar Getty's character? (I really thought we'd get a lot more of Red during the series).

The diner scene with Bobby, Shelley & Becky. Amick, Ashbrook & Seyfried knock it out of the park in this scene and I wish we'd had more of them together. If there's a season 4, a Bobby & Shelly reunion could well be the new Ed & Norma. Amick & Ashbrook have such amazing chemistry together.

The mauve room sequence at the start of part 3. When Cooper returns back inside, I thought American Girl (who we first see seated from behind) was going to be Audrey. Had hoped there'd be another all-out unusual sequence like this and episode 8 in the second half of the show.