What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: What's your favourite scene from The Return?

Post by eyeboogers »

djerdap wrote: Otherwise, pretty much all of Part 18 - a masterful hour of paranoia and unsettling atmosphere, mostly achieved by the pervasive sense of something being just wrong. I've never seen Lynch achieve so much by using so little.
Agreed, it is hard to pick a favorite, but all the truly astonishing scenes are in 18. Cooper's takedown of the cowboys in Judy's diner. The most disturbing sex scene in Hollywood history. Cooper's first meeting with Carrie/Laura. Diane seeing her soulless double outside of the motel. And of course "What Year is This?"
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I think it's better to develop a list of top 10 scenes, because there were so many good ones.

But if I'm honest, which scene have I watched the most? It is the closing scene of Ep. 2 with 'Shadow' being played in the Roadhouse.

Other of my favorite scenes include:
-Opening Scene with the Giant and Coop
-Hastings interrogation by Mackley
-Red Room with 'Evolution of the Arm'
-Purple Room (including the spewing of garmonbozia in the 'real' world)
-Red and Richard drug deal scene (excellent scene in its own right but also a great tribute to the Bobby-Mike-Leo drug scene)
-Gotta Light?
-The Fireman and Senorita Dido
-Screaming woman with sick girl in the car
-Tulpa Diane describing rape by Mr. C
-Mr. C and Cooper at Sherriff's station, including Coop's superimposed face 'we live inside a dream' all the way to Coop's arrival to the boiler of the Great Northern with Gordon and Diane
-Sarah attacking Laura's picture
-Final scene when Cooper and Carrie Page approach the Palmer house
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Very difficult to choose, it would depend on my mood.
E18’s long drive to the scream is what I think about most often, especially when I drive in God forsaken roads in Texas, at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Sick Girl is way up there for me too. Not necessarily so much for that moment itself (although it’s a hilarious button on the scene), but for the sense of suburban anxiety and dread the whole horn-honking sequnce evokes. The foley and the lighting were outstanding. And it was just so damn cool, after so many episodes of the Double R as a stagebound set on the original show, to see it as a practical location the characters can move in and out of, with a whole real world outside.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Same here, that driver flipping out beside her violently sick passenger had me falling off the couch in tears.

My favorite scene was probably the initial prison meeting with Mr. C. It really creeped me out.

I'm also very fond of the "Nursery School" to "Starting Positions" to "Do you need any money?" scene in the hideout. Honorable mention to Andy's vision in the White Lodge because it gave rise to very strange feelings.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Sick Girl is way up there for me too. Not necessarily so much for that moment itself (although it’s a hilarious button on the scene), but for the sense of suburban anxiety and dread the whole horn-honking sequnce evokes. The foley and the lighting were outstanding. And it was just so damn cool, after so many episodes of the Double R as a stagebound set on the original show, to see it as a practical location the characters can move in and out of, with a whole real world outside.
Good point, I never thought of it.

Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Chantal & Hutch's final scene with the Polish accountant is another favourite.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

White i feel that The Return wasnt Always perfect i Believe that had it been Whittled down more to its essence i feel it might just have been that. There are so many unbelieavable scenes that with a few exceptions easily rivals the best of S1 and S2. FWWM was always my favorite peaks and i truly Think the atmosphere and obtuse natuure from the film and TMP carried over to S3. We tend to forget that most of the new mysteries presented there were either just as frustratingly unknowable or as intriguingly mysterious and loose as those in s3. Its only over these 25 years that fans and writers havet been able to decide in interpretations that feels night and has thus more or less become canon. This is happening with s3 as well.

As for favorite scenes its really hard to just name 1 or 2 given that we are discussing an 18 hour work. But a few that hit me like a bowling ball in the gut in first viewing:

^The sequences depicting the death of Margaret Lanterman. From her call to Hawk to the conference room gathering with Hawk emerging from pitch black shadows (a classic Lynch trope seen at least in Eraserhead, BV, Lost Highway and minimum twice in The Return) to make the announcement followed by Lucy's reaction and Truman taking off his hat. Then the shots of the lights going out both in the cabin and in the Sky (the moon). All pitch perfect and very emotional, set to the beautiful Badalamenti "Farewell Theme".

^The entire secquence at The Dutchmans in Ep. 15 where Mister C meets The Woodsmen and is taken to and speak with Jeffries. What mesmerizing locations, omnious sound design, fantastisk visuals and mysterious dialouge. Dont we also see The Jumping Man here for the first time. Love everything about this scene. Feels very FWWM, matter of fact all of Ep. 15 does.

The entitety of Coops "escape" from The Lodge in parts 2 and 3 but the secquence i want to pick is the one with Ronette as American Girl. Everything from when Coop climbs back down the ladder and the colors and editing is normal. Man I love everything about that location and Ronette did an amazing job speaking backwards while being terrified and stressen. And them that beaitiful battery charger that Coop is pulled through. All set to the frightening door pounding by Mother. Terrific in every eau.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Sick Girl is way up there for me too. Not necessarily so much for that moment itself (although it’s a hilarious button on the scene), but for the sense of suburban anxiety and dread the whole horn-honking sequnce evokes. The foley and the lighting were outstanding. And it was just so damn cool, after so many episodes of the Double R as a stagebound set on the original show, to see it as a practical location the characters can move in and out of, with a whole real world outside.
totally agree with this scene as well, it was reminiscent of the way Trouble's performance at The Roadhouse was incorporated into the narrative dramatic arc for pretty much the first time. i loved that entire sequence, matter of fact episode 11 is up there with 15, 8, 1&2 and 17&18 as my favorite episodes. its just non stop brilliance and exciting scenes.

i liked the interaction between Becky and Bobby and Shelley with Norma holding an eye on them. somebody said that was bad acting and while english is not my native tongue i have to disagree there. as someone with separated parents that's gone through a lot of hard situations and done a lot of stupid situations that scene touched a nerve on me. and then comes Red and it's clear that he is foreshadowing something bad is about to happen. not only that but the way his presence make Shelley forget the situation and to even be a decent human being its almost like he is holding some magical sway over her.

then the shooting from out of nowhere and the commotion outside. how exciting this was to see for the first time, and still is!! i feel this entire sequence is one that has equally Mark Frost and David Lynch all over it as far as writing goes - and it is a really well written scene.

for me the scene has a lot of social commentary, the obvious one being on gun violence amongst kids - the fact that kids do as their parents do, and not what they say (in this case - dress the same, plays with guns and reacts the same). but ever since i first saw it i strongly think the screaming and honking woman in the car is a commentary on our society as well. For one we are always in a hurry to get where we are going, and also that we get extremely mad at things that are out of our control, and things we dont understand. Hilarious and frightening.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Great points, claaa7. I do think that scene, like Part 8, represents the L/F collaboration at its most simpatico, a perfect synergy between Mark’s more political sensibility and DKL’s philosophical interest in exploring/combating human suffering and pain.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Great points, claaa7. I do think that scene, like Part 8, represents the L/F collaboration at its most simpatico, a perfect synergy between Mark’s more political sensibility and DKL’s philosophical interest in exploring/combating human suffering and pain.
For a long time, I've had a big issue with people blaring their horn (not necessarily at me but at anyone). I live in a metro area where it is an epidemic.

That woman blasting her horn even at an officer of the law, then screaming at Bobby was like therapy for me :-). Finally someone has the guts to put into art what we all experience in daily life.

By the way, I remember a lot of people on dugpa and on other Twin Peaks boards speculating on what the plot payoff of this particular scene would be. And afterwards, some complaint that it 'led nowhere'.

As with a lot of scenes in The Return, I thought they were standalone scenes in a certain sense, maybe meant to enhance and create a mood, but not necessarily to have any deep connection to the larger plot. To some people that is frustrating because you don't see those kinds of scenes in a conventional drama. For me, scenes like those are so good they don't really require some kind of later plot development to enhance them.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Great points, claaa7. I do think that scene, like Part 8, represents the L/F collaboration at its most simpatico, a perfect synergy between Mark’s more political sensibility and DKL’s philosophical interest in exploring/combating human suffering and pain.
For a long time, I've had a big issue with people blaring their horn (not necessarily at me but at anyone). I live in a metro area where it is an epidemic.

That woman blasting her horn even at an officer of the law, then screaming at Bobby was like therapy for me :-). Finally someone has the guts to put into art what we all experience in daily life.

By the way, I remember a lot of people on dugpa and on other Twin Peaks boards speculating on what the plot payoff of this particular scene would be. And afterwards, some complaint that it 'led nowhere'.

As with a lot of scenes in The Return, I thought they were standalone scenes in a certain sense, maybe meant to enhance and create a mood, but not necessarily to have any deep connection to the larger plot. To some people that is frustrating because you don't see those kinds of scenes in a conventional drama. For me, scenes like those are so good they don't really require some kind of later plot development to enhance them.
Lol. What you say about the horn is true!!!

As for the standalone scenes, I actually think that most movies or series are full of them. The only difference is that Lynch makes them stand out. Really stand out, from the honking lady to itchy Sky Ferrera. Heck, even the polish accountant was something out of this world.

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I like the sick girl scene too, but feel it would have benefitted from just about anybody else attending on it aside from Ashbrook. He didn't belong. Andy or Hawk would have been preferable. The scene, like many in the series, felt like a nugget Lynch had in a drawer somewhere and decided to fish out for this show.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

IcedOver wrote:I like the sick girl scene too, but feel it would have benefitted from just about anybody else attending on it aside from Ashbrook. He didn't belong. Andy or Hawk would have been preferable. The scene, like many in the series, felt like a nugget Lynch had in a drawer somewhere and decided to fish out for this show.
Not sure I agree with this. Up to that point, Bobby was a very positive figure (as far as S3 is concerned). That scene, from the shooting on, made him face horrors as he saw them in his youth (which included a shooting, and the ugly consequences of drug abuse).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think Ashbrooks’s straight-man earnestness grounds the scene. I don’t think it would be as effective with Hawk (who is more comfortable with the weird/supernatural) or Andy (whose presence might risk plunging the scene into camp). Not a knock on Goaz, who did some great subtle dramatic work this season, but the scene is heightened enough as it is and needs an everyman to react to it.