Best Mark Frost interview on S3 yet

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Best Mark Frost interview on S3 yet

Post by claaa7 »

Podcast The Talkhouse connected Mark Frost and Sam Esmail (creator of "Mr. Robot") mainly to discuss 'Twin Peaks' and 'The Return'. there are a lot of great info about the creative process between Lynch and Frost in here and some important tidbits on ep. 8 and its purpose. Don't sleep on this one!

https://soundcloud.com/thetalkhouse/esmail-frost-320
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Best Mark Frost interview on S3 yet

Post by Soolsma »

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Sorry about that.. here's a more recent Lynch/Dern/McLaughlan interview about ep. 18 to make up for it ;)

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/twin-p ... 201959842/
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Need more Twin Peaks!!!!
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

claaa7 wrote:Sorry about that.. here's a more recent Lynch/Dern/McLaughlan interview about ep. 18 to make up for it ;)

Good stuff. Thanks for posting. Very interesting bits:
When asked by moderator (and self-confessed super fan) Andy Greenwald if he knew this was the ending and if he was writing toward this ending, Lynch replied quickly.

“This is the ending,” he said.

“You knew this was the ending?” Greenwald asked.

“This is the ending,” Lynch said. “It’s right there. You all just saw the ending.”
The following might be some of the only continuation of the story of we ever enjoy from Lynch:
“Albert has since passed away,” Lynch said. “This is so sad. And in the world of ‘Twin Peaks,’ Gordon Cole is pretty much devastated.”
Then there's this:
When David Bowie’s Agent Phillip Jeffries was mentioned, Lynch was quick to clarify the character’s new being seen in “The Return.”

It’s not a tea kettle,” he said. “It’s a machine. I actually sculpted that shape, and people see it as a tea kettle, but it’s a machine. If you want to see it as that, that’s fine, too."
Lynch has said before that it's not a tea kettle, but I'm not sure if he's previously pointed out that it's a "machine". Very interesting.
Last edited by Jasper on Fri May 04, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jasper wrote:
claaa7 wrote:Sorry about that.. here's a more recent Lynch/Dern/McLaughlan interview about ep. 18 to make up for it ;)

When asked by moderator (and self-confessed super fan) Andy Greenwald if he knew this was the ending and if he was writing toward this ending, Lynch replied quickly.

“This is the ending,” Lynch said. “It’s right there. You all just saw the ending.”
The following might be some of the only continuation of the story of we ever enjoy from Lynch:
Kyle MacLachlin, Laura Dern and David Lynch'Twin Peaks' TV show FYC event, Inside, Los Angeles, USA - 02 May 2018 - 02 May 2018

“Albert has since passed away,” Lynch said. “This is so sad. And in the world of ‘Twin Peaks,’ Gordon Cole is pretty much devastated.”
Then there's this:
When David Bowie’s Agent Phillip Jeffries was mentioned, Lynch was quick to clarify the character’s new being seen in “The Return.”

It’s not a tea kettle,” he said. “It’s a machine. I actually sculpted that shape, and people see it as a tea kettle, but it’s a machine. If you want to see it as that, that’s fine, too."
Lynch has said before that it's not a tea kettle, but I'm not sure if he's previously pointed out that it's a "machine". Very interesting.
I believe he had stated it was a machine before. In the pitchfork article, I believe.

I found it interesting that he asked the crowd whose robe it was. Was he just breaking the ice, or was he sly sneaking an important element into the conversation?
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Could be a tea kettle, could be a...
CDDE4903-90FD-4B26-9B17-740CB47B9DF2.jpeg
CDDE4903-90FD-4B26-9B17-740CB47B9DF2.jpeg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 13124 times
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

"Here am I floating 'round my tin can
Far above the moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do"
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

It's very interesting to compare a certain Lynch quote from the 90s with a particular quote from this week:

1990s:
"It's the doppelganger thing - the idea of two sides to everyone. He's really up against himself. People were really upset that it ended with an evil Cooper who'd been taken over by Bob. But that's not the ending. That's the ending that people were stuck with. That's just the ending of the second season. If it had continued…”
2018:
When asked by moderator (and self-confessed super fan) Andy Greenwald if he knew this [part 18, which had just been screened] was the ending and if he was writing toward this ending, Lynch replied quickly.

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Jasper wrote:

Then there's this:

The definite ending part dispels the theory about The Fireman/Agent Cooper scene taking place after the final then. I was never very compelled by that interpretation but i know its been making the rounds.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think Lynch's quote re: "the ending" can be interpreted either way - it could be about the ending of Season 3 or the whole show. It is certainly not, IMO, on par with how he told anyone who would listen that Twin Peaks was 'dead as a doornail' for 20+ years. When he wants to be understood he makes it plain. I think here the comment is more ambiguous.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

N. Needleman wrote:I think Lynch's quote re: "the ending" can be interpreted either way - it could be about the ending of Season 3 or the whole show. It is certainly not, IMO, on par with how he told anyone who would listen that Twin Peaks was 'dead as a doornail' for 20+ years. When he wants to be understood he makes it plain. I think here the comment is more ambiguous.
I agree that this comment is more ambiguous, but I do think that the wording is interesting in light of the 1990s interview. Back then it was the ending of s2, but it wasn't the ending of the narrative planned (however loosely) by L&F et al, hence "that's not the ending." In this new statement he is very insistent that part 18 is the ending. ("This is the ending.") Now, one can argue that he's talking about two different things, and that in the 90s he's referring to the whole of Twin Peaks, while in 2018 he's only talking about The Return as an individual unit. Maybe that's the case. Time will tell.
Last edited by Jasper on Mon May 07, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DKL isn’t the most precise speaker under the best of circumstances, and we’re comparing answers that were given in response to two different questions, the more recent of which was specifically about the S3 writing process (and which we notably only got in paraphrased form). I’m not reading too much into it. It seems like the guy asked if L/F were always writing toward this particular ending for the season, and DKL was answering that narrow question, not prognosticating as to the future of the franchise.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:DKL isn’t the most precise speaker under the best of circumstances, and we’re comparing answers that were given in response to two different questions, the more recent of which was specifically about the S3 writing process (and which we notably only got in paraphrased form). I’m not reading too much into it. It seems like the guy asked if L/F were always writing toward this particular ending for the season, and DKL was answering that narrow question, not prognosticating as to the future of the franchise.
It does seem like the question was if Lynch and Frost had settled on the ending early in the writing process, but if so, it must be pointed out that Lynch didn't answer that question. Lynch simply asserted that part 18 was the ending, never addressing whether or not they'd come up with this ending early on and written most of the rest of the Return with this ending in mind.

So, not only is it not clear if they wrote with this ending in mind, it's also not clear if he's saying that this is the ending of Twin Peaks as a whole or...anything. This isn't uncommon for Lynch, and we can't really know if he's being intentionally obtuse, or if he missed the question or what. He just asserts that it's the ending. Well, we know that it's the ending. We watched it ourselves. We did not tune in the following week because...part 18 was the ending.

Ladies and gentlemen, behold the archetypal Lynchian non-answer. I'll just file it under "keeping the mystery alive."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Agreed. My gut instinct, after years of following Lynch interviews, is that DKL didn’t want to pull back the curtain on the writing process, and went on the defensive by giving a glib nonanswer. I doubt that he was thinking at all about the future of the show one way or the other in that moment...he was just worried about protecting the sanctity of the artistic process from prying interviewers.