No Ray Wise?

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Agent Earle

Re: No Ray Wise?

Postby Agent Earle » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:10 pm

Kilmoore wrote:I'm quite jealous, since I'm still struggling to find anything positive to say about S3. I keep an eye on the conversation here and while I'm sometimes baffled by peoples interpretations that sound more like products of mental illnesses, there are a lot of people who derived joy from S3 and enjoy exchanging thoughts about it. After waiting for 25 years to have new Twin Peaks to talk about and then being left empty is a frustrating feeling I'm still not quite over yet. So I'll just have to lurk and absorb whatever bits I can get around here.

We should form a club! :D I mean, there's already the infamous Profoundly Disappointed thread, but most of the folks from over yonder have moved on, while a select few of us still linger around, sulking and dreaming of what could have been... Ah well, maybe in another 25 years time.
kitty666cats

Postby kitty666cats » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:51 pm

Agent Earle wrote:
Kilmoore wrote:I'm quite jealous, since I'm still struggling to find anything positive to say about S3. I keep an eye on the conversation here and while I'm sometimes baffled by peoples interpretations that sound more like products of mental illnesses, there are a lot of people who derived joy from S3 and enjoy exchanging thoughts about it. After waiting for 25 years to have new Twin Peaks to talk about and then being left empty is a frustrating feeling I'm still not quite over yet. So I'll just have to lurk and absorb whatever bits I can get around here.

We should form a club! :D I mean, there's already the infamous Profoundly Disappointed thread, but most of the folks from over yonder have moved on, while a select few of us still linger around, sulking and dreaming of what could have been... Ah well, maybe in another 25 years time.

I am somewhat in the same boat as you guys. I've seen some horribly stupid theories on Reddit, and a few on here (not many, not remotely close to the degree of Reddit), but I still like some of S3. Looked through the episodes with some friends last night because we wanted to rewatch one episode for the hell of it, and I think I've decided that episode 14 of season 3 may possibly be my fave of all S3.
IcedOver

Postby IcedOver » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:00 pm

kitty666cats wrote:I am somewhat in the same boat as you guys. I've seen some horribly stupid theories on Reddit, and a few on here (not many, not remotely close to the degree of Reddit), but I still like some of S3.

Oh my yes as far as Reddit. I think some of those folks have no common sense. They're so obsessed with creating a puzzle they think they have to solve that it morphs for them into believing that the makers actually encoded secret meanings using small details.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:01 pm

madeleineferguson wrote:As insane as this sounds, I now hope that Season 3 was mostly a cleaning of the pipes for both Frost and Lynch..... So here's hoping the pipes are cleaned out and these two can seriously focus back on Twin Peaks in Season 4.

I would love that too. Even if the show never recaptures the feel of the original series (and likely won't ever go in that direction again), I also hope that by getting The Return out of their system, which allowed them to try out a wide variety of creative bursts, a potential Season 4 or future movies - even if incredibly surreal - might be more focused on Twin Peaks and the original characters, though I don't think it's very likely.
Jonah

Postby Jonah » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 am

I read through most of this thread, but still can't get a handle on why Ray Wise features so little in The Return. Someone said it was due to Lynch, not Frost. That the focus was on the Mother, not the Father, for this incarnation. And the fact that Leland is dead in the narrative. Then there's the story that Wise showed up on set, filmed his "Not Laura" scene and was surprised to hear that was a wrap. Is that true? Is there any more info out here? Regardless, having him reprise his role just to utter two lines really does stand out when you watch The Return. I know other characters from the original run are sidelined a bit, but I don't think any are sidelined quite this much. It's a shame. And again, I feel The Return was a missed opportunity in that regard to use these original actors more, especially with so many passing on such as Peggy Lipton, etc. Don't get me wrong - I like how Lynch paid tribute to all the deceased actors and I do like how he tried to work so many of them in, plus I have warmed to The Return a lot, but I still think it's a shame how little many of the original actors were used, especially in a case like Wise's.

Also, why is Wise in bad B-movies like "Jurassic City"? I know actors have to pay the bills, but I didn't realise he was in so many bad or B-movies. I thought he was still a pretty respected actor in mainstream or bigger projects.

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return”