What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by Xavi »

N. Needleman wrote:
Xavi wrote:Also the urge for additional material like "scripts and BTS footage" and this insatiable hunger for another Season feels ungrateful about all what has been created already.
Tell that to Lynch, the man who commissioned a massive hours-long documentary on Season 3 for the Blu-Ray.
Exactly, and still people ask for more. I read it several (many?) times on this forum, that despite all what's been published people crave for scripts, interviews, footage, and what not, just to get spoiled with the true intensions and ideas behind the abstract cinematic language Lynch exposed. Are these people not aware that true art does not provide answers, albeit propagate imaginations and profound thoughts about the mysteries of (in?) real life itself?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think a lot of us enjoy those materials — which Lynch has always been happy to provide — not because we crave “answers,” but because we’re fascinated by the artistic process and how ideas develop — something Lynch has generally been happy to talk about throughout his career.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:And it would get onto disc eventually; at least it would exist.
That's no guarantee. It seems they only release their most popular content on disc. Something minor like shirt films he makes for the internet is fine. I'm talking about a major work like a new series or movie. It's not picture quality necessarily; I just don't like the idea of anything being over the internet, from him or anybody. I really hate that theater-quality movies are being produced for Netflix (big-screen guy Michael Bay is even directing one with Ryan Reynolds). It's a worrisome trend for theaters. So I don't have positive feelings about Netflix or any streaming outlet, and certainly don't want him involved in it.

I don't feel that new "Peaks" is coming, but I wonder if Showtime would partner with him for anything else, even something that wouldn't be a series, but perhaps a long or two-part movie. They don't really do original movies like HBO does. I wonder if they have a good relationship with him specifically and would be interested in fostering that kind of art cinema, or if it was just the known property of "Peaks" that caused them to make this deal. I suspect the latter.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Xavi wrote:Exactly, and still people ask for more. I read it several (many?) times on this forum, that despite all what's been published people crave for scripts, interviews, footage, and what not, just to get spoiled with the true intensions and ideas behind the abstract cinematic language Lynch exposed. Are these people not aware that true art does not provide answers, albeit propagate imaginations and profound thoughts about the mysteries of (in?) real life itself?
Blame Lynch and Frost. Fans have always wanted more, and Lynch/Frost regularly give it to them over the long years. There's nothing wrong with going deeper in.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think a lot of us enjoy those materials — which Lynch has always been happy to provide — not because we crave “answers,” but because we’re fascinated by the artistic process and how ideas develop — something Lynch has generally been happy to talk about throughout his career.
Exactly.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:And it would get onto disc eventually; at least it would exist.
That's no guarantee. It seems they only release their most popular content on disc. Something minor like shirt films he makes for the internet is fine. I'm talking about a major work like a new series or movie. It's not picture quality necessarily; I just don't like the idea of anything being over the internet, from him or anybody. I really hate that theater-quality movies are being produced for Netflix (big-screen guy Michael Bay is even directing one with Ryan Reynolds). It's a worrisome trend for theaters. So I don't have positive feelings about Netflix or any streaming outlet, and certainly don't want him involved in it.

I don't feel that new "Peaks" is coming, but I wonder if Showtime would partner with him for anything else, even something that wouldn't be a series, but perhaps a long or two-part movie. They don't really do original movies like HBO does. I wonder if they have a good relationship with him specifically and would be interested in fostering that kind of art cinema, or if it was just the known property of "Peaks" that caused them to make this deal. I suspect the latter.
I agree in general about the negative aspects of Netflix changing the way we see movies, but the streaming quality really is great via Netflix. For example, the stuff they display in 4k is actually at least as good as Blu-ray quality, at least as far as my configuration is concerned; the sound, however, suffers in comparison to Blu-ray. I would also think that anything Lynch did would be released on disc. I know what you're talking about with other Netflix series, but I believe it would be part of the contract. There's a lot of extra money to be made off of Lynch's home video material, and Lynch himself probably wants it out there in the best possible quality. I don't think there's anything to worry about on that front.

Also, Lynch did seem to accept - if not necessarily embrace - the idea of streaming. He knew how people would be watching and invented a new saying or two, frequently telling people to put headphones on and get whatever screen you're watching on as close to your face as possible.

Lastly, the ideal way to watch The Return was probably via the Showtime channel thru Amazon Prime. I've heard from numerous people that agreed, and have also heard that the torrents were always said to be the best quality when ripped from Prime, and week by week I always watched it streaming through Prime after I learned how much better it was than my cable service or Showtime's actual app.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:
As a former movie theater manager, I can certainly respect that. However, I don’t see Netflix or other streaming platforms producing movies that are having much critical or commercial success. Netflix shows can be smash hits, but their features have been mostly jokes. (People holding off on seeing theatrical movies until they pop up on Netflix is another matter and more troubling.)

In terms of series though, I think the more platforms there are, the more diversity and experimentation we get. The growth of prestige cable content and then online services producing original content has been a beautiful thing, and the quality of programming has improved so much because a couple of stodgy companies aren’t dictating what is and isn’t commercially acceptable anymore. Netflix in particular seems to have endless resources and produces a breathtaking amount of content, a decent percentage of which is admirably fresh and creator-driven (Lady Dynamite, Bojack Horseman, G.L.O.W, Dear White People, Master of None, etc.).
I’ve thought the same thing. I think they likely want to maintain their relationship with him, and his name alone has some marquee value and oddles of artistic street cred, but I definitely don’t think they would be as eager to finance a non-TP project.

BTW, are you saying that you would prefer DKL to produce a Showtime original film to him doing a series for Netflix? That seems somewhat contradictory. Do you really think streaming original movies are hurting theatrical features substantially more than TV movies? Personally, I don’t think either is having much impact. I think when films end up in either boat, it’s either because the project couldn’t get funding/distribution as a theatrical feature, or because a studio wants to dump a movie that turned out awful, and maybe make some money back (like that Cloverfield sequel that everyone panned a few months back). As to the former category, this likely applies to most projects DKL may be interested in doing. It seems to have gotten increasingly difficult for him to find funding in the mainstream studio system, and at a certain point, if Hollywood and even European cinema aren’t supporting his vision, I think he’s perfectly justified in saying “screw ‘em” and taking his ball to another court — and I would absolutely encourage him to do so. I do think that if he has any chance of getting a feature to the big screen that will always be his first preference, but if that’s not an option, I’d rather he create than give up.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The Showtime app quality blew.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

N. Needleman wrote:The Showtime app quality blew.
Yeah... the only way I could watch new Peaks live was on Playstation Vue and buying Showtime through there. More than once the app would exit to the menu during a viewing, which was pretty frustrating
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

N. Needleman wrote:The Showtime app quality blew.
watching the blu ray for first time was a revelation. had no clue how truly terrible showtime's stream quality was through out the run.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Hmm
Edit: I was at work so I couldn't turn on the audio. No way thats Twin Peaks/David Lynch/Mark Frost related. It was too generic of an advt and cringey too.
Last edited by krishnanspace on Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

That's actually pretty intriguing, but I'm dismayed by the term "comedy" used in the pseudo trailer. Not such a big fan of Lynch's goofball brand of humour (nor, as a matter of fact, comedies in general - the genre mainly just tires me).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Agent Earle wrote:That's actually pretty intriguing, but I'm dismayed by the term "comedy" used in the pseudo trailer. Not such a big fan of Lynch's goofball brand of humour (nor, as a matter of fact, comedies in general - the genre mainly just tires me).
I'm not a fan of the genre, though I'm not sure if I dislike Lynch's goofball humor as much as you do. (I think I'd need specific examples.) That said, we're not just going ahead and assuming that this involves Lynch, are we? It could, going solely by the secrecy aspect, but I don't think that we've got any other reason to make the assumption (unless we reach really hard and tie it to Kimmy Robertson's comments about "July".) If it premiers on the 15th, we'd have to ask how the hell Lynch could have filmed and put together something so quickly, and without anyone finding out about it.

I don't think we're getting Where Am I?: The Dougie 2.0 Show, but I won't complain if we do. (Sorry Agent Earle :lol: ). I loved the brief glimpse of Cooper's goofy new tulpa, and I've watched that particular sequence a number of times. It would be a strange spinoff concept, but it would make more business sense than On The Air: The Return.

That being said, despite the curious level of secrecy, my money is on this project being non-Lynch.
Last edited by Jasper on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

hmmmm

I saw the same advert on Stan yesterday (as a gif, not a video trailer), and of course my first thought was Twin Peaks! Then it turns out it is a Showtime thing (makes sense- Stan distributes all Showtime shows in Australia as far as I can tell).

Surely this must have absolutely nothing to do with Twin Peaks at all, or indeed David Lynch.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I doubt it has anything to do with Twin Peaks.