What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:Here he again says that he into painting now a days
“There’s nothin’ on the burner right now” might be the biggest lie he ever told. :lol:
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
“There’s nothin’ on the burner right now” might be the biggest lie he ever told. :lol:
That was in August 2014 and in October 2014,him And Mark announced Season 3.
:D
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

pinballmars wrote:I'm with those who believe that we have seen the end of Twin Peaks. No Season 4.

The final episode doesn't feel like a cliffhanger to me. I think the questions that it leaves us with are questions that we're meant to puzzle over afterward for the rest of our lives.

I mean, yeesh, it explicitly erases the past. There are no dangling story threads to follow. Laura Palmer was never murdered. Cooper changed that and now everything is different.

Alternate timelines? I guess a science-fiction writer with a long-term vision for stories years in the future might be interested in that, but Lynch doesn't strike me as the type. Lynch's favorite logic is dream logic. He likes mystery for its own sake. He doesn't care if everything makes perfect sense. His favorite kind of puzzle is one that can never be completed.

I think that Lynch thinks it's beautiful that we'll never know what horrible secret that Laura whispered into Cooper's ear (it's not "my father killed me" anymore).

It's gonna take one motherfucker of an idea to top that. And Lynch is leaving that possibility open. Maybe that amazing idea will hit him next Wednesday.

But I don't think that Season 3 was made with any plans for a follow-up.

They threw out the kitchen sink with this one.
The ending works either way- as a cliffhanger or as a final ending.

There are lots of dangling threads, it's just a question of whether they are ever meant to be answered :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

krishnanspace wrote:I actually dont want a Season 4 just for answers. i just need it because its Twin Peaks and I like my Twin Peaks in "Massive Massive quantities!!!". The Return was the best Cinematic experience I've had in my life.Would love to experience it again!
Completely agree with you!! Twin Peaks is a series of mistery, not a series of answers. some answers yes, but not all.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

N. Needleman wrote:I think most of us can agree we'd like a shorter season. I'm good with 10-13, though 13 is a rarity now on premium cable.
I want a season 4, but two o three movies like Fire Walk With Me, also would be very good.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

krishnanspace wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
That was in August 2014 and in October 2014,him And Mark announced Season 3.
:D
It,s Right. I believe David and Mark could be writting the season four now. i hope. the series could back in 2020 or 2021.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
I thought I remembered reading that the spike didn’t last after the show ended, but I think I’m misremembering (or remembering speculation rather than actual facts). In any event, I still hold to my contention that the show was by most coventional analyses at best a very modest success, and I’m personally glad that it didn’t reach the level of a Homeland or Shameless. I think we’re in an ideal place for renewal and another season free of executive interference, whenever L/F want it.
I think you are being way too dismissive of the gigantic profits this show has wielded. You might be right if you are only thinking of Showtime, but for CBS it is a different story (and the one that matters). It is not "just" Nevins and Levine who have stated that the show did well financially, but also CBS chairman Les Moonves.

Someone mentioned the international distribution - and this is one area where "Twin Peaks" far outperformed "Homeland", "Dexter" etc. In most european countries there were bitter bidding wars between networks and streaming services about who would get the rights. Add to this the fast selling blu-ray, merchandising and other auxiliary incomes and TPTR in and off itself is highly profitable.

Furthermore CBS knows that investing in new episodes also make the old ones more profitable. They have re-packaged the original series several times now and it always does well.

I understand your concern about the dismal US live to air numbers, but in 2018 those are far from the most important factor.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

You may well be right about international numbers. Did the Blu Ray sell well, though? A quick glimpse at this site seems like it only cracked the top 20 for one week (again, maybe it sold better overseas?). In the US, CBS completely screwed the pooch on the rollout, with way too few units produced. Most people on this board struggled to find copies; I doubt it was fast-selling, by sheer nature of the fact that most people who wanted to buy it couldn’t! I do also think that debacle says something about CBS’s perception of the demand for the show, or lack thereof, from a purely numerical standpoint (again, domestically speaking at least...I don’t know if the situation was better elsewhere).
eyeboogers wrote:I understand your concern about the
dismal US live to air numbers, but in 2018 those are far from the most important factor.
I’m not concerned at all. I’ve repeatedly said that I believe Showtime and CBS are perfectly happy with the show’s reception overall, regardless of how financially successful it was or was not, and would gladly make more whenever L/F are ready.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:You may well be right about international numbers. Did the Blu Ray sell well, though? A quick glimpse at this site seems like it only cracked the top 20 for one week (again, maybe it sold better overseas?). In the US, CBS completely screwed the pooch on the rollout, with way too few units produced. Most people on this board struggled to find copies; I doubt it was fast-selling, by sheer nature of the fact that most people who wanted to buy it couldn’t! I do also think that debacle says something about CBS’s perception of the demand for the show, or lack thereof, from a purely numerical standpoint (again, domestically speaking at least...I don’t know if the situation was better elsewhere).
dismal US live to air numbers, but in 2018 those are far from the most important factor.
I’m not concerned at all. I’ve repeatedly said that I believe Showtime and CBS are perfectly happy with the show’s reception overall, regardless of how financially successful it was or was not, and would gladly make more whenever L/F are ready.
Unless a show is absolutely massive like Game of Thrones, from what I've heard blu-rays and DVDs are not the money-spinner now they once were. Yet, The Return is now available to download on places like Amazon and i-tunes right? It's not cheap either!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:You may well be right about international numbers. Did the Blu Ray sell well, though? A quick glimpse at this site seems like it only cracked the top 20 for one week (again, maybe it sold better overseas?). In the US, CBS completely screwed the pooch on the rollout, with way too few units produced. Most people on this board struggled to find copies; I doubt it was fast-selling, by sheer nature of the fact that most people who wanted to buy it couldn’t! I do also think that debacle says something about CBS’s perception of the demand for the show, or lack thereof, from a purely numerical standpoint (again, domestically speaking at least...I don’t know if the situation was better elsewhere).
Unless a show is absolutely massive like Game of Thrones, from what I've heard blu-rays and DVDs are not the money-spinner now they once were. Yet, The Return is now available to download on places like Amazon and i-tunes right? It's not cheap either!
My understanding is that movie accounting and financing is so hard and twisted that it drives people insane. CBS stated that Twin Peaks was one of the major reasons for its improved financial numbers, and so did Showtime’s Nevins. Considering that CBS is publicly traded, I don’t think they lied to the investors (although there is always some room for interpretation... in an almost Lynchian fashion). Twin Peaks’ job was to bring attention to Showtime, to provide a constant revenue stream, and to improve subscriptions during a GOT season; apparently it worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
I thought I remembered reading that the spike didn’t last after the show ended, but I think I’m misremembering (or remembering speculation rather than actual facts). In any event, I still hold to my contention that the show was by most coventional analyses at best a very modest success, and I’m personally glad that it didn’t reach the level of a Homeland or Shameless. I think we’re in an ideal place for renewal and another season free of executive interference, whenever L/F want it.
I think you are being way too dismissive of the gigantic profits this show has wielded. You might be right if you are only thinking of Showtime, but for CBS it is a different story (and the one that matters). It is not "just" Nevins and Levine who have stated that the show did well financially, but also CBS chairman Les Moonves.

Someone mentioned the international distribution - and this is one area where "Twin Peaks" far outperformed "Homeland", "Dexter" etc. In most european countries there were bitter bidding wars between networks and streaming services about who would get the rights. Add to this the fast selling blu-ray, merchandising and other auxiliary incomes and TPTR in and off itself is highly profitable.

Furthermore CBS knows that investing in new episodes also make the old ones more profitable. They have re-packaged the original series several times now and it always does well.

I understand your concern about the dismal US live to air numbers, but in 2018 those are far from the most important factor.
It's funny we're having this debate, but no one has a lot of real hard numbers to tell one way or another.

Internally somewhere at CBS/Showtime knows the truth, but they ain't leakin' :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
I did not write what you quoted here, Reindeer did. I refuted it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

At the end of a lengthy new Deadline interview:
Does he have any movie projects or more TV projects lined up? “I don’t. I have a box of ideas, and I’m working with producer Sabrina Sutherland, kind of trying to go through and see if there’s any gold in those boxes.”

Has he finished forever with the world of Twin Peaks?

“Well, for right now, you could say I don’t want to talk about that,” he says flatly.

Could Agent Cooper return to solve another Blue Rose mystery?

“If I don’t want to talk about it, I can’t even answer that.”
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

"I think we’re all just waiting on David to have the spark of an idea to go forward. It’d be a great journey. I would drop everything to do that." - Kyle MacLachlan

https://deadline.com/2018/06/twin-peaks ... 202407937/
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Hmm. I choose to respond to both of those as cautiously optimistic.