What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by N. Needleman »

eyeboogers wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
Jasper wrote:
I'd be shocked if anything new was announced so soon
I am shocked that it has taken this long :-D (regardless of it was a "working on it" or "that's it forever" announcement).
This, again, was me and not Jasper. ;)
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:This reminds me of last year, when people were assuming some announcement was in the offing because the panel was in Hall H.

We know Showtime views the show as a very important part of its ongoing rebranding effort. Without more evidence, I don’t see this as anything more than a part of their push to keep the property alive in the public consciousness for as long as possible. And Kimmy’s quote has always struck me more as Kimmy being her rambling self than something to be taken as a portent.

I’m still 50/50 that a new season will happen eventually (depending on the day I’ll even go to 60/40), but I refuse to get my hopes up, particularly this soon and with so little to go on. I appreciate the optimism, but low expectations have served me well in life. I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.
I think what has me on the optimistic side is that if Lynch wants to get future endeavors funded, Twin Peaks seems to be his best vehicle to get those ideas out there. I guess he could try to make a non Twin Peaks film but it seems to me the funding for such a film would be harder to come by.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

krishnanspace wrote:As per my knowledge, SDCC is after the Emmy nominations are announced, so maybe a good chance of a Season 4 tease?
The Emmys are in September aren't they?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:As per my knowledge, SDCC is after the Emmy nominations are announced, so maybe a good chance of a Season 4 tease?
Don't know about that, but the nominees would be announced by 10th next month
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote:I think what has me on the optimistic side is that if Lynch wants to get future endeavors funded, Twin Peaks seems to be his best vehicle to get those ideas out there. I guess he could try to make a non Twin Peaks film but it seems to me the funding for such a film would be harder to come by.
That is a very big IF. IF he needs future endeavors funded. He might as well be doing Dumbland: the return for that matter.

An announcement on some big event seems unlikely, not their style imo. All they'd need is something akin to a simultaneous tweet they did october 3rd 2014 to get the hype train going. I could see Frost devising something ARG-ish, that would be awesome.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:I think what has me on the optimistic side is that if Lynch wants to get future endeavors funded, Twin Peaks seems to be his best vehicle to get those ideas out there. I guess he could try to make a non Twin Peaks film but it seems to me the funding for such a film would be harder to come by.
That is a very big IF. IF he needs future endeavors funded. He might as well be doing Dumbland: the return for that matter.

An announcement on some big event seems unlikely, not their style imo. All they'd need is something akin to a simultaneous tweet they did october 3rd 2014 to get the hype train going. I could see Frost devising something ARG-ish, that would be awesome.
That's seems likely.Westworld has done it perfectly and Frost seems to be a Westworld fan too
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Soolsma wrote:What do people think of an elaborate, communal fan shout-out towards L&F to sorta beg them for more.. as a fan base?

We could be like COOP* in the old days. Maybe get some people together? Jerry? Pieter Dom? hell, maybe even obnoxious & anonymous , I guess we all want the same???

[*]COOP (Citizens Opposed to the Offing of Peaks)
I think there's not much left for the fans to do. The show was brought back. Showtime now has all the data they need to decide on a fourth season. They know there are a certain amount of hardcore fans who will tune in automatically and buy a certain amount of merchandise. The rest is prestige and Lynch and Frost's willingness to proceed.

Still, doesn't hurt to tag Showtime on social I guess.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

krishnanspace wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
Don't know about that, but the nominees would be announced by 10th next month
The Emmys are in September yes. day 16
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

There is a Panel also of Twin Peaks in the SDCC !!! i believe that is in Saturday ( July) to 8:00 pm. Sabrina Sutherland and more said.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Jasper wrote:
baxter wrote:So do we assume that this is what Kimmy Robertson was referring to in July?

That should scotch the "imminent July announcement" rumours if so.
I don't think that we can make that assumption. Let's contextualize it and see if it sounds right:
"Somebody I know was recently in a car with his wife, and she was talking about how much he enjoyed it and why he wanted to do more if there was ever more. He had never experienced anything like it. She didn't know that this person knew anything about Twin Peaks or anything, and she said that, 'He heard that...there would be sixteen cast members (one an executive producer) signing autographs at Comic-Con!'"
Doesn't sound right to me. If there's anything to what Kimmy's saying, it's got to be something additional at the event or something else entirely.
I Agree. I don,t believe Kimmy Robertson knew 6 or 7 months ago that all this people went to appear in the SDCC. it,s too much time to know it.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

madeleineferguson wrote:To me, this event at Comic Con seems more like an Emmy push. That being said... I can't think of a better Emmy push than announcing Season 4 during the voting period.
I Agree.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Hmmmmm....
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Either a signal to Showtime to give him what he wants, or an indication it will take time to work on. Either way, I take it as good news.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

TBH, to try and give a signal to Showtime through a reply to a fan's question seems unlikely.

This seems to be about his creative process, especially since he mentions "the signal". Bear in mind though, Lynch's take on that process is that the worlds he creates already were there before, after and while he creates them, he just has to reel them in bit by bit. This could very well mean that Carrie (or it) would perpetually be calling out, whether he chooses to work on it or not. Also, the disturbances mentioned could be pertaining solely to the not knowing how Odessa and Carrie Page fit in to all this. It doesn't seem likely that would be one of the first things Lynch nor Frost would figure out early in the writing process.

It's funny to note how Lynch answers to ambiguous questions are slightly more forthcoming as opposed to his very evading replies when something is asked very literally. Interviewers and fans can really take a lesson from that.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

The "disturbances" in the signal could be all sorts of things. Lynch is a workaholic, and he has a lot of interests that could be pulling him in various directions at any given time. Painting, sculpting, photography, music, and of course TM and the related traveling and speaking that he does as a TM ambassador. Then there's stuff like art exhibits, art books, books like his new memoir, interviews, promotional events, etc. He recently acted in Lucky (starring Harry Dean Stanton). There are also film remasters and various things like that. He's got various business dealings, and I hope most of that is handled for him by others, though as I understand it he has to personally OK any official Twin Peaks product. All of this is in addition to regular family stuff, and basic life things that we all deal with. Though he's supposed to be reclusive, it seems he travels pretty frequently. How many countries or states did he visit last year? How many functions did he attend? How many nights did he not sleep at home in LA? How many people did he meet? He might not like to go out to movies and parties and the like, but for someone who says he has "a bit of agoraphobia", he sure does get up to a lot of stuff.

I meant to write a short post, but the more that I wrote, the more I realized just how ridiculously busy this man must be. There's an interesting bit from the Guardian interview that came out today:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... twin-peaks
Throughout the book, and in his own telling, it is clear that Lynch’s most enduring passion is work. When his current wife, Emily Stofle, an actor who appeared in Inland Empire and Twin Peaks: The Return, became pregnant, he warned her that film would still come first. Their daughter was born when Lynch was 66, and Stofle 35. “After I had Lula, he disappeared into his work, which is what he does… he works and that’s where he gets his joy,” she tells McKenna.

I ask Lynch how he manages to inspire such loyalty, despite such strict rationing of human contact – from his collaborators, friends, even his exes. He drops his cigarette on the floor and stubs it out with a boot before answering. “I like to have some people around. If I was totally alone I think I’d get funny, and not in a humorous way.”

As a father and husband he has often been absent, he concedes. “You gotta be selfish. And it’s a terrible thing. I never really wanted to get married, never really wanted to have children. One thing leads to another and there it is.”

That sounds like regret, until he elaborates. “I did what I had to do. There could have been more work done. There are always so many interruptions.”
Last edited by Jasper on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.