What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

The poll question is pretty self explanatory. On a scale of 1 to 5 how likely do you feel there will be another season of Twin Peaks?

The other question is. If there won't be another season. What do you think Lynch will do next? Another television serial or miniseries? A feature film? A Broadway musical?

I think there is good chance he will spend the next few years painting, photography, TM, etc.etc. before we see anything cinematic from him again.

What I'd like to see is another television event series not unlike Twin Peaks S3. But set in a different world. A new story. It's own thing.

I would also get a real kick out of it if the new show were a sitcom.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by krishnanspace »

Lynch and Frost could make "One saliva Bubble" ,the screenplay has been lying in the dust for more than 30 years.They can approach A24 and they would even produce it.
The advances in CGI has also made the possibility of making a movie based on Metamorphosis

And finally regarding Twin Peaks,they can do a writers room by hiring different directors and writers.Lynch and Frost could be the show runners for future seasons.Get Noah Hawkley and Damon lindelof to direct.This to me feels like the right approach as Lynch is quite old right now and directing all of it would take a toll on his health.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:And finally regarding Twin Peaks,they can do a writers room by hiring different directors and writers.Lynch and Frost could be the show runners for future seasons.Get Noah Hawkley and Damon lindelof to direct.
I wouldn't mind if they worked with some of the former Peaks writers, but I think the ship has sailed on having other directors. Remember, Lynch has directed everything all the way from from episode 29 of season two, to FWWM (and what would become TMP), to Between Two Worlds, to all 18 parts of the Return. At this point having another director step in would feel, well, icky. Lynch is the director of Twin Peaks, and I believe that it should remain this way, with him either directing more Twin Peaks, or Twin Peaks never having more filmed content.

Now, to be completely honest, if Lynch walked up to me right now and said "Hello! we've written a new season of Twin Peaks, but I'm only going to direct every other episode, and that's the only way I'll be willing to make more." I'd almost certainly take the deal, but I wouldn't find it optimal.

As for the original question, I picked 50/50, not because I believe that there's a 50% chance that they will or won't make more, but because I simply have no idea.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote: And finally regarding Twin Peaks,they can do a writers room by hiring different directors and writers.Lynch and Frost could be the show runners for future seasons.Get Noah Hawkley and Damon lindelof to direct.This to me feels like the right approach as Lynch is quite old right now and directing all of it would take a toll on his health.
Lynch is 72 and seemingly in good health. He could easily be directing for another decade plus. Ridley Scott is 80, Woody Allen is 82.

As far as I know Damon Linderloff has never directed anything.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

eyeboogers wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: And finally regarding Twin Peaks,they can do a writers room by hiring different directors and writers.Lynch and Frost could be the show runners for future seasons.Get Noah Hawkley and Damon lindelof to direct.This to me feels like the right approach as Lynch is quite old right now and directing all of it would take a toll on his health.
Lynch is 72 and seemingly in good health. He could easily be directing for another decade plus. Ridley Scott is 80, Woody Allen is 82.

As far as I know Damon Linderloff has never directed anything.
In one of his recent interviews, he said that when he began shooting season 3 he was active and that now he can barely walk.

BTW I would also love if Mark Frost directed it
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:In one of his recent interviews, he said that when he began shooting season 3 he was active and that now he can barely walk.
I'm definitely going to need a source for this one.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Jasper wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:In one of his recent interviews, he said that when he began shooting season 3 he was active and that now he can barely walk.
I'm definitely going to need a source for this one.
He did say that, but it was in jest (about being exhausted after the months of work) it wasn't meant to be taken literally.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Also did you guys read Kimmy's comments regarding some announcement in July?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:Also did you guys read Kimmy's comments regarding some announcement in July?
No. What was the comment?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jasper wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Also did you guys read Kimmy's comments regarding some announcement in July?
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... ibed_what/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

50/50.

Damon Lindelof has no place anywhere near this show. As for other creators I'd only accept them with Lynch's blessing, which is not likely to be forthcoming. Best to keep it in the family vs. try to staff it up with creators with the existing imprimatur of critics. TP doesn't chase new art, it makes it. It did it in 1990 and again last year - whether people liked Season 3 or not, it is undeniable that it shook the pillars of TV again in a way that is both seismic and largely viewed as positive critically. I like Noah Hawley, etc. but I suspect he or Sam Esmail or whoever else would be the first to agree that the show is a very singular voice.

I'd love to see Harley Peyton and Bob Engels do a little something again, but Peyton is very busy with the excellent and underrated Channel Zero anthology series on Syfy (watch it!).
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Damon Lindelof being a huge Twin Peaks fan could be able to understand Lynch and Frost's vision and the audiences expectations
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

I think it's likely, considering the praise that Season 3 has received, and given how much the cast and crew enjoyed working on it.

As far as who to involve going forward, I feel very strongly that writers from the first two seasons need to be involved. Before The Return aired, I thought that a purely Frost & Lynch written season was the perfect approach, but I feel either sick or sad or both whenever Season 3 comes to mind. Peyton and Engels, please!!!

And, we really need Harry Truman to recover...
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

krishnanspace wrote:Damon Lindelof being a huge Twin Peaks fan could be able to understand Lynch and Frost's vision and the audiences expectations
Lindeloff should make his own (great) shows, and Lynch/Frost should make theirs. Why would you want a cover band?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

krishnanspace wrote:
Jasper wrote:
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... ibed_what/
Interesting. Kimmy worded her statement in a very confusing manner. From what I can tell this might have been David's wife, Emily, in a car talking to another woman, with the "he" being David. Maybe. Or something. I don't know. Whatever the hell Kimmy was saying, it seemed to be positive, though essentially based upon a rumor she'd heard from a friend rather than any firm inside information.
N. Needleman wrote:Damon Lindelof has no place anywhere near this show.
Amen to that.

Another issue with the idea of using other directors is the way in which the Return was filmed and edited. Until they were created in the editing process, there were no episodes aside from perhaps the first couple of hours, and maybe much of part 8 and possibly part 18. David really seemed to like the one-big-film concept, so if he and Mark Frost were to write more Twin Peaks I think that there's a good chance that they might continue with that revolutionary approach. Imagine trying to fit various directors into the resultant production scenario. How on earth would that work? Given this editing process, it seems that you'd end up with each new "part" featuring scenes by various directors.