What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by N. Needleman »

It is a very far cry from him spending most of the '90s and 2000s nailing the coffin shut. I know what I think.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
dnatoli7373

Post by dnatoli7373 »

I feel in my gut that they are writing it now and Showtime will announce the new season as soon as there is a script that David and Mark feel good about.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Thanks to Jerry Horne and N. Needleman for supplying those last couple of quotes. They got me to finally make a dedicated thread to house all of the quotes I've collected.

My feelings on this matter change from day to day, depending on the stimuli I've encountered. Today I'm feeling very mildly optimistic. I might have made the votes editable on this poll, unless it's more of thing where we see how many people got it right way back when. I imagine that sooner or later I'll veer out of 50/50 and into "Likely" or "Unlikely".

P.S. I like this bit below. It's nice to see how much Lynch trusts and values Sabrina Sutherland:
Does he have any movie projects or more TV projects lined up? “I don’t. I have a box of ideas, and I’m working with producer Sabrina Sutherland, kind of trying to go through and see if there’s any gold in those boxes.”
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

dnatoli7373 wrote:I feel in my gut that they are writing it now and Showtime will announce the new season as soon as there is a script that David and Mark feel good about.
I agree.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

BGate wrote:Hmm. I choose to respond to both of those as cautiously optimistic.

These recent Lynch and Maclachlan quotes sound suspicious... in a good way. I think they're hiding something and more Twin Peaks has already been quietly churning into motion :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

It's 7 am and just woke up but I have a big smirk on my face. :D

So I guess what would be really interesting is to see how Frost replies to the question.

But yeah, brace yourself for the possibility Lynch is just sick of the question and will be for many years to come.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think they've been working on it awhile.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

N. Needleman wrote:I think they've been working on it awhile.
Someone should just hack into their Skype calls ;)
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

True. Why is it that media phone hack scandals never involve the information you actually want? :-D

I'm quietly hopeful now, and am channeling this energy into a S3 rewatch. I don't hold out much hope of hearing anything in the near future though.

I'm also convinced that they ended S3 with a concrete plan on where the sequel would pick up. Maybe that's wishful thinking.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

Even if Lynch and Frost are working on it (and I tend to agree, they've almost certainly been having talks), it's not a guarantee that it will happen. Season 3 almost didn't happen after it had been announced publicly, and Lynch and Frost had been working on it for years in mostly in secret at that point. They could be working on it and end up deciding that they don't have a baseline that they can agree upon.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

AgentEcho wrote:Even if Lynch and Frost are working on it (and I tend to agree, they've almost certainly been having talks), it's not a guarantee that it will happen. Season 3 almost didn't happen after it had been announced publicly, and Lynch and Frost had been working on it for years in mostly in secret at that point. They could be working on it and end up deciding that they don't have a baseline that they can agree upon.
Season 3 didn't almost happen because of Showtime's trust on Lynch. Now that Lynch and Frost have given Showtime the numbers they needed, I don't see any problems happening though. But if it's happening, someone please get Michael Ontkean
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

I can't be the only one who read, “Well, for right now, you could say I don’t want to talk about that,” as a not-so-veiled reference to a certain line of dialogue by a certain FBI agent regarding a certain something... :mrgreen:
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

You could also say S3 almost didn't happen because of Lynch's determination to achieve very specific creative conditions, which is surely an approach he would bring to a potential S4. It was Lynch, not Showtime, that was holding the cards in that brief rift. It shows he would not hesitate to pull the plug on S4 if any number of conditions are not met.

Honestly I'm just tempering my own expectations, but it is true nonetheless that S4 will only happen if Lynch is able to get everything he wants, a privilege almost no one else in the industry is afforded.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I think he'll get what he wants. But I'd be shocked if any of them, Lynch included, wanted to do another 18 hours. It seems like it was just grueling.

It does give Piper Laurie another chance to return as Catherine! She's still busy, she's got a role in the Matthew McConaughey drug biopic White Boy Rick this fall. She's even in the trailer.

I have begun to think the theory that they won't announce til after the Emmys - the Big Little Lies gambit, where that show was nominated as a limited series, swept the awards, and then promptly announced a second season - may have merit. Some would say Lynch is above those kind of considerations, and I think sometimes he is and sometimes he isn't. He can be a very shrewd marketer and player when he wants to be. He's greenlit plenty of merchandising and promotional events he's been directly involved in, he actively courted C.O.O.P and told people to write to ABC's key execs live on Letterman in '90-'91, and of course he made the very public walk-out in 2015, knowing the result ahead of time (IMO). Do I think Season 3 will take BLL's armful of awards? No. But it's a smart play.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

I am very positive about it. Last year they masterfully recreated the TP brand, and they took Showtime with it. They also know that in order to be special it can’t be done or even announced in a rush. Kinda like the World Cup, the fact that it’s every four years increases its importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk