What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

What chance do you think there is we will see a season 4?

Very unlikely
13%
Unlikely
32%
50/50
35%
Likely
12%
Very likely
7%

Total votes: 82
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: What's next? What chance do think there is we will see a season 4?

Post by N. Needleman »

Not funny, dude.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Lol.I think it's the second time that person has posted this
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Who would have thought even a week ago that Twin Peaks would have a better chance at another season than Rosanne?

But seriously, I always thought this was going to be one season and out. But now I see that Lynch and Frost were probably planning multiple seasons all along, they just didn't want to face 'cancellation' once again.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mtwentz wrote:

But seriously, I always thought this was going to be one season and out. But now I see that Lynch and Frost were probably planning multiple seasons all along, they just didn't want to face 'cancellation' once again.
And the grounds for your claim would be ... what, exactly? As far as I know, nothing has happened in the recent days or weeks that would indicate anything (at all) regarding the possible continuation of TP, so I don't get where this steadfast conviction that there will most certainly be future season(s) is coming from. To put it differently, the same thing's "happening" on the creators part now that's been happening ever since S3 finished its run and that is - a complete and total silence. In fact, it's so silent on that front you can practically hear the doornail squeaking :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I voted very unlikely. Since that partly has to do with self protection and not getting my hopes up, it's realistically probably leaning more towards unlikely. Sorry people, fat chance..

If it happens again, it'll have to start happening soon. No way we'll see it in 10 years or so..
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

And the grounds for your claim would be ... what, exactly? As far as I know, nothing has happened in the recent days or weeks that would indicate anything (at all) regarding the possible continuation of TP, so I don't get where this steadfast conviction that there will most certainly be future season(s) is coming from. To put it differently, the same thing's "happening" on the creators part now that's been happening ever since S3 finished its run and that is - a complete and total silence. In fact, it's so silent on that front you can practically hear the doornail squeaking :D
I am not saying a 4th Season will happen, but from their statements, it does seem Lynch and Frost have been open to a Fourth Season all along. Which, if it turns out to be the case, could better explain the 'dropped' storylines (Red, Steven, Becky etc.) as cliffhangers for a future season.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I voted a cautious 'likely'. it's possible we've seen the end of Twin Peaks, but I think the fan base won't let it go away so easily :-).

Edit: If there are negotiations for Season 4, this time hopefully the budget is worked out BEFORE any announcement is made. I for one could do without the drama we endured in early 2015.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Or we get a Blue Rose spinoff
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:I voted a cautious 'likely'. it's possible we've seen the end of Twin Peaks, but I think the fan base won't let it go away so easily :-).

Edit: If there are negotiations for Season 4, this time hopefully the budget is worked out BEFORE any announcement is made. I for one could do without the drama we endured in early 2015.
If there is a season 4 I think it would not air until 2020
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I'm still 50/50.

Leaning towards 60/40 for it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I think it's unlikely. Not only did Lynch seem sort of definitive at the Emmy event a few weeks ago that this was "the ending," but I also got the sense (he didn't say this outright, I'm just inferring) that it would be hard for him to see going back into this world without Miguel Ferrer, Catherine Coulson, Harry Dean Stanton, etc. Also, bear in mind that co-writing and directing 18 hours all by himself (AND starring AND editing AND doing sound design, etc.) is an almost unprecedented, Herculean labor for just about any filmmaker, and certainly for someone at Lynch's age. I feel like this is the end of it, and if it is, I don't mind at all. We have already gotten so, so, SO much more than I ever dreamed we would that I can't imagine asking for or expecting more at this point. And for those who desperately want some sort of narrative closure from the events of TP:TR, surely we must all know by now that even if we do somehow get another several-hour magnum opus, conventional narrative closure is something we will most definitely NEVER ever get from Lynch. At any rate, just getting 18 more hours in this world PLUS two novels feels like such a treasure to me and I'll forever be grateful for it, and I feel more than satisfied, personally.

If Lynch wanted to make another film or TV project, I'd be thrilled, but a) I have a feeling it won't be Twin Peaks, and b) I have a strong suspicion Lynch will be happy to just putter around in his painting studio for a while and keep to himself.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

TheArm wrote:I think it's unlikely. Not only did Lynch seem sort of definitive at the Emmy event a few weeks ago that this was "the ending," but I also got the sense (he didn't say this outright, I'm just inferring) that it would be hard for him to see going back into this world without Miguel Ferrer, Catherine Coulson, Harry Dean Stanton, etc. Also, bear in mind that co-writing and directing 18 hours all by himself (AND starring AND editing AND doing sound design, etc.) is an almost unprecedented, Herculean labor for just about any filmmaker, and certainly for someone at Lynch's age. I feel like this is the end of it, and if it is, I don't mind at all. We have already gotten so, so, SO much more than I ever dreamed we would that I can't imagine asking for or expecting more at this point. And for those who desperately want some sort of narrative closure from the events of TP:TR, surely we must all know by now that even if we do somehow get another several-hour magnum opus, conventional narrative closure is something we will most definitely NEVER ever get from Lynch. At any rate, just getting 18 more hours in this world PLUS two novels feels like such a treasure to me and I'll forever be grateful for it, and I feel more than satisfied, personally.

If Lynch wanted to make another film or TV project, I'd be thrilled, but a) I have a feeling it won't be Twin Peaks, and b) I have a strong suspicion Lynch will be happy to just putter around in his painting studio for a while and keep to himself.
He was joking that what we saw was the ending of season 3 for sure - he was asked if that was the ending they were always set on and he said yes, that was the ending.

He's expressing grief at those people having died - he's not talking about that making him not want to return to Twin Peaks ever. He's just sad, as is to be expected.

Twin Peaks could easily continue but only if they get the right good ideas.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

NormoftheAndes wrote:He was joking that what we saw was the ending of season 3 for sure - he was asked if that was the ending they were always set on and he said yes, that was the ending
I don't think we know what he was doing, aside from not answering the question. We don't know if that was the ending they'd always been set on for season three, and we don't know if he wanted to imply that was the ending of TP, period. He only told us what we already know, which is that part 18 was some kind of ending.

I will say that the statement didn't quite fill me with optimism about a season four, even if it had no relation to a potential season four. That said, I when I saw the comment from Kimmy a short time later, it made me feel a bit more optimistic. I could truly see things going either way, but I suppose that, at least today, I'm marginally more optimistic than pessimistic.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

The persistent rumours/wishful thinking on a series 4 or series 3B that is ready to drop (mostly on reddit) are almost certainly nonsense, but part of me of course is counting down the days til July to see if anything materialises.

Failing that, even if a series is announced, it only starts another nail-biting few years where we all hope that everyone is healthy enough to make it to the end. Until I see it on my TV, it does not exist as a possibility.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I would also be super satisfied with pretty much anything TP related.

For example, I would love it if Frost would write more. How about him dropping the epistolary format and writing a more standard fictional novel following the life or lives of beloved TP characters. Just imagine how cool it would be to read about the life of Harry, starting from the disappearing of Cooper.

Also here, fat chance. But hey, one can dream..
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."