Script pages for "Part 8" and "Part 5"

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Script pages for "Part 8" and "Part 5"

Post by Cerulean »

Some select pages from the season 3 script (for the 1956 scenes in "Part 8" and Becky/Steven's scenes in "Part 5") were recently featured in this interview with Dean Hurley (see attachments below).

Obviously it's not a whole lot, but damn interesting to even get a glimpse at the script for the first time.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.11.31.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.11.31.jpg (126.95 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.45.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.45.jpg (188.55 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.34.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.34.jpg (172.51 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.19.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.19.jpg (197.4 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.03.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 15.10.03.jpg (173.04 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Script pages for "Part 8" and "Part 5"

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Nice. The grammar nerd in me is amused that “Got a light?” is spelled correctly, unlike the Part title. Interesting that the Woodsman’s poem is in there. Weren’t we told that DKL wrote that on set? Either this is a very late draft or that was wrong.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Great stuff! Let's hope that in the future there'll be more.

And yes I recall some there being some tidbit about that poem. But wasn't it rather that Frost wrote it, which surprised us? Honestly, I've been obsessing over every little TP fact so much that it's gotten hard to keep them all straight. Any sources relating to this would be great. I've tried a couple of interviews and AMA's but no luck yet.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I recall the reveal about the poem coming from Mark in either an AMA or podcast, but also can’t recall the source offhand and don’t have time to check. My recollection is that he said DKL wrote it during filming, which tracks with the poem being conspicuously absent from the account in TFD.
Cerulean
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cerulean »

Yeah, Mark previously mentioned the Woodsman's radio scene in this interview he did with Sam Esmail.. The relevant part is around 34:15.
The poem... David actually wrote that himself, I think, on the set.
We originally, in the script, I think, had him speaking a mechanical language.
The key here is "I think". It seems Mark just forgot the poem was written down in the script, but remembered the mechanical sounds were there also.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

So yes, this is a late draft. Seeing that shots that have been filmed have been lined, this is probably post-shooting. Quite a few old school directors like to work this way, drawing the lines while they shoot. Maybe Hurley had this version to work on sound editing with Lynch. This definitely looks like a script that a script supervisor (Cori Glazer) tidied up after the lines were drawn on roughly while shooting. While at it, she might have just as well added in a few ad-libbed lines to ultimately provide the best reference material for editors. I'd bet my life on it that the pre-shooting script didn't include predetermined camera angles, shots and such, which wouldn't fit Lynch's style at all. Though Frost's memory has been disputable ever since discrepancies started popping up, I think he was right about this one. Didn't we also hear that Nevins and Kyle were the only ones to see the script before shooting?

Dang it. I would die to see some early drafts/the final version before shooting. Alas, chances we'll ever see it are pretty slim, even if we'd make a collaborative fan effort out of it.

[edit: elaborated]
Last edited by Soolsma on Mon May 14, 2018 12:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:So yes, this is a late draft. Seeing that shots that have been filmed have been lined, this is post-shooting. Maybe Hurley had this version to work on sound editing with Lynch. Though Frost's memory has been disputable ever since discrepancies started popping up, I think he was right about this one.

Dang it. I would die to see some early drafts/the final version before shooting. Alas, chances we'll ever see it are pretty slim, even if we'd make a collaborative fan effort out of it.
I think David remembers the unofficial version,Mark seems to have forgotten it
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

You’re right, it’s definitely a post-shooting draft. Which means that even if we ever do get an official script release, it will undoubtedly be this version, tailored to match what we got onscreen. Damn.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

I like to think the mechanical sounds were supposed to be the "listen to the sounds" sounds. And maybe David didn't want to use those sounds in that part to let the sounds stay even more ambiguous.

I think those sounds were supposed to be something what a geiger counter would produce. It would make sense if the Woodsmen came through a nuclear blast.