How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Re: How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Sure. Get out of Twin Peaks? That's fine. No problem with the concept, and as I said in a previous post, we are each inhabiting a larger world than in 1990, figuratively speaking. People would have traveled and moved around in the intervening quarter century, things would have happened. Still, I was really looking forward to an eventual return to the town rather than a mere arrival there.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Sure. Get out of Twin Peaks? That's fine. No problem with the concept, and as I said in a previous post, we are each inhabiting a larger world than in 1990, figuratively speaking. People would have traveled and moved around in the intervening quarter century, things would have happened. Still, I was really looking forward to an eventual return to the town rather than a mere arrival there.
I would have loved to have seen Cooper spend at least one night in the Great Northern in his old room, or maybe at least Cole or Albert stay there. But, oh well, I can't complain really because The Return has stimulated so much philosophical thought and discussion that it overwhelms any minor nostalgia disappointments I may have.

It appears that Lynch and Frost were very frugal in the amount of nostalgia they wanted dished out in The Return. I actually remember feeling the twinge of nostalgia only twice- 1) When Hawk visits Sarah at home and 2) When Mr. C says "hello Andy' as he approaches the Sheriff station.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Strawberry wrote:Sure. Get out of Twin Peaks? That's fine. No problem with the concept, and as I said in a previous post, we are each inhabiting a larger world than in 1990, figuratively speaking. People would have traveled and moved around in the intervening quarter century, things would have happened. Still, I was really looking forward to an eventual return to the town rather than a mere arrival there.
I would have loved to have seen Cooper spend at least one night in the Great Northern in his old room, or maybe at least Cole or Albert stay there. But, oh well, I can't complain really because The Return has stimulated so much philosophical thought and discussion that it overwhelms any minor nostalgia disappointments I may have.

It appears that Lynch and Frost were very frugal in the amount of nostalgia they wanted dished out in The Return. I actually remember feeling the twinge of nostalgia only twice- 1) When Hawk visits Sarah at home and 2) When Mr. C says "hello Andy' as he approaches the Sheriff station.
A lot of the establishing shots over Twin Peaks were also nostalgic
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mtwentz wrote:It appears that Lynch and Frost were very frugal in the amount of nostalgia they wanted dished out in The Return. I actually remember feeling the twinge of nostalgia only twice- 1) When Hawk visits Sarah at home and 2) When Mr. C says "hello Andy' as he approaches the Sheriff station.
The “Shadows” scene at the Roadhouse did it for me. And Dale saying Harry’s name in Part 17.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

We spent plenty of time in the town throughout Season 3. Cooper himself arrived at the end, not the audience.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

bosguy1981 wrote:I don't know when the full version of this new interview with Mark Frost will be available, but this teaser has some cool bits at the end about his mindset as he set about writing the new Twin Peaks.

"We had the opportunity to go back and look at this very large set of characters... and wrap it all in a larger context. That was my big objective. I said, 'We've got to get out of the town. We have to enlarge the scope of the canvas. And we've got to make this about more than just this sleepy, creepy little Hamlet."

Here is more audio:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0/5/9/059fba0 ... b31364e458
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I was expecting more shots of the iconic Sign Board as it was featured heavily in the teasers,but all we got was a 1 sec scene :(
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

krishnanspace wrote:I was expecting more shots of the iconic Sign Board as it was featured heavily in the teasers,but all we got was a 1 sec scene :(
We have seen it for 22 episodes, multiple times. I honestly think it would’ve served no purpose at all especially since it’s linked to one of the most iconic moments of TP, one that can’t even be emulated in the slightest. I honestly think it was better this way, as Indiana Jones thought us, some sacred objects should never be touched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Jerry Horne wrote: Here is more audio:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/0/5/9/059fba0 ... b31364e458
Thanks for sharing this! Fascinating listen. Wish it was longer.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Great listen. One of the most fascinating things about the L/F dynamic is how they can metaphorically be on the same page while reading completely different books (Mark views Dougie through a Jungian lens whereas DKL “doesn’t even want to hear about” psychology — I imagine the same is true of much of the political and Greek mythology stimuli that got Frost going — yet on some level the two both found the same themes fascinating to explore while arriving there through completely different interests and inspirations).
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Really loved that audio file. Great stuff, and fantastic to hear just before I start my S3 rewatch.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

yaxomoxay wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:I was expecting more shots of the iconic Sign Board as it was featured heavily in the teasers,but all we got was a 1 sec scene :(
We have seen it for 22 episodes, multiple times. I honestly think it would’ve served no purpose at all especially since it’s linked to one of the most iconic moments of TP, one that can’t even be emulated in the slightest. I honestly think it was better this way, as Indiana Jones thought us, some sacred objects should never be touched.

Are we talking about the Welcome to Twin Peaks sign? If so, it seems like it was intentionally brushed past. A poignant reminder that this is not some nostalgia trip and that focusing on the past is not the way to move forward.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

Are we talking about the Welcome to Twin Peaks sign? If so, it seems like it was intentionally brushed past. A poignant reminder that this is not some nostalgia trip and that focusing on the past is not the way to move forward.
You honestly thought that to yourself whilst watching that scene? Since Lynch is clearly not fond of psychological analysis of the meaning of what he is shooting, I don't think that was the intention too much. I am quite surprised when I hear fans talking about the new season being an exercise in anti-nostalgia as I didn't get that impression at all - if anything, I did pick up quite a lot of nostalgia in The Return, but filled with sadness.

I can't see Lynch or Frost having some message to send that looking back is a bad idea. The shot from the Mitchums' car as Cooper rapidly enters the town zooms past the town sign in a blur - encapsulating everything about part 17 and its rushed, hazy feel - as if we're never really truly in Twin Peaks. Dare I say it, we see things in a dream-like way.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
LateReg wrote:
yaxomoxay wrote:

You honestly thought that to yourself whilst watching that scene? Since Lynch is clearly not fond of psychological analysis of the meaning of what he is shooting, I don't think that was the intention too much. I am quite surprised when I hear fans talking about the new season being an exercise in anti-nostalgia as I didn't get that impression at all - if anything, I did pick up quite a lot of nostalgia in The Return, but filled with sadness.

I can't see Lynch or Frost having some message to send that looking back is a bad idea. The shot from the Mitchums' car as Cooper rapidly enters the town zooms past the town sign in a blur - encapsulating everything about part 17 and its rushed, hazy feel - as if we're never really truly in Twin Peaks. Dare I say it, we see things in a dream-like way.
No.
It’s like sex.
Slow preliminaries, foreplay, a longish actual mechanical activity.
Then a few seconds of total, overwhelming pleasure.
Then everything slows down, up to complete silence/sleep.

( Then bring me some oxygen to recover :) , but don’t tell anyone)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

yaxomoxay wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
LateReg wrote:

No.
It’s like sex.
Slow preliminaries, foreplay, a longish actual mechanical activity.
Then a few seconds of total, overwhelming pleasure.
Then everything slows down, up to complete silence/sleep.

( Then bring me some oxygen to recover :) , but don’t tell anyone)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did you post this in the wrong topic? I can't understand what you're rabbiting on about! :lol:
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.