One year later - how are we feeling?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: One year later - how are we feeling?

Post by LateReg »

I'm not sure which thread to post this in, but one effect that The Return has had on me is that I compulsively look at every clock I see in a film/series, and check to see if any of them read 2:53. I watch, on average, around 20 movies a week along with what couple of series I'm watching, and over the past year plus I've only ever clearly encountered that exact time on a clock once, or maybe twice...and I swear that I've looked at every single damn clock I've seen.

The first, less clear time, was in the Coens' Blood Simple. The room is very dark, the clock is briefly shown, I had to pause and rewind it, but it looks like 2:53 to me. I always think of Blood Simple (and a few later Coens films such as Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink) to be similar to Lynch in terms of pacing and, occasionally, tone (such as when that one guy is screaming his head off near the end of Miller's Crossing, or what seem like obvious nods to Eraserhead in Barton Fink), so it's interesting that 2:53 seems to have popped up in one of their films, especially the only one that I've ever wondered whether it had any effect on Lynch's later work (Blue Velvet was made 2 years after Blood Simple).

The second, totally clear, no doubt about it instance is far more interesting bordering on insane, as it occurs in none other than the 1982 documentary Atomic Café, which is of course about the history of nuclear warfare, and which utilizes a bunch of archival footage from the 1940s onward in a tongue in cheek manner. In one of these unintentionally comic archival pieces near the end of the film, the clock on the wall reads 2:53, on the dot. What an astounding...coincidence? As far as I'm concerned The Return taps in to so many coincidences such as this that coincidence is not an adequate word to describe what Lynch/Frost were tapping in to. (Such as that Steamship Laura backstory about the Maersk crates - glimpsed in Part 18 as Cooper approaches Judy's Diner to find Laura.) Anyway, my mind was blown. And Atomic Café is one of the movies that I recall being mentioned when critics/programmers were compiling viewing suggestions to accompany Part 8.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote: I watch, on average, around 20 movies a week along with what couple of series I'm watching,
20 movies a week?! Do you by any chance have a device that doubles the amount of hours per day? :D Me, I'm lucky if I manage to squeeze in 2-3 flicks per week. It's not that I don't have the time, well, it's not only that, but with the vast arsenal of movies to chose from in this Internet age, it became a tremendous chore for me to focus on one particular movie I'd like to see, so mostly I just get jittery thinking about it and then wind up not settling for anything new and simply watching a few snippets of some stuff that I've already watched multiple times and know it like the back of my hand - it's more comfortable and comforting that way. The down side to that is that I've grown depressed upon realization that I'll probably die before I see (and read and play) at least 20 % of the stuff that interests me - and that's at this point in time, ie. prior to all the good things that have yet to be made and released in the future.

Sorry for this bizarre and somewhat downbeat digression, I know it doesn't belong on this thread, but it's just the thought I had to share. Oh, and season's greetings to all!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Agent Earle wrote:
LateReg wrote: I watch, on average, around 20 movies a week along with what couple of series I'm watching,
20 movies a week?! Do you by any chance have a device that doubles the amount of hours per day? :D Me, I'm lucky if I manage to squeeze in 2-3 flicks per week. It's not that I don't have the time, well, it's not only that, but with the vast arsenal of movies to chose from in this Internet age, it became a tremendous chore for me to focus on one particular movie I'd like to see, so mostly I just get jittery thinking about it and then wind up not settling for anything new and simply watching a few snippets of some stuff that I've already watched multiple times and know it like the back of my hand - it's more comfortable and comforting that way. The down side to that is that I've grown depressed upon realization that I'll probably die before I see (and read and play) at least 20 % of the stuff that interests me - and that's at this point in time, ie. prior to all the good things that have yet to be made and released in the future.

Sorry for this bizarre and somewhat downbeat digression, I know it doesn't belong on this thread, but it's just the thought I had to share. Oh, and season's greetings to all!
Haha, hey I know what you mean. It's harder and harder for me to settle in to certain things with so much to choose from. But I often have an itinerary or some marathon I'm working through, which helps me to focus. And yes, there's just so much to see at this point - on TV alone, for example, if you're interested in its history and where it's going - that it seems like it would be impossible to ever see everything supposedly worth seeing.
Boreas

Post by Boreas »

LateReg wrote:I'm not sure which thread to post this in, but one effect that The Return has had on me is that I compulsively look at every clock I see in a film/series, and check to see if any of them read 2:53. I watch, on average, around 20 movies a week along with what couple of series I'm watching, and over the past year plus I've only ever clearly encountered that exact time on a clock once, or maybe twice...and I swear that I've looked at every single damn clock I've seen.

The first, less clear time, was in the Coens' Blood Simple. The room is very dark, the clock is briefly shown, I had to pause and rewind it, but it looks like 2:53 to me. I always think of Blood Simple (and a few later Coens films such as Miller's Crossing and Barton Fink) to be similar to Lynch in terms of pacing and, occasionally, tone (such as when that one guy is screaming his head off near the end of Miller's Crossing, or what seem like obvious nods to Eraserhead in Barton Fink), so it's interesting that 2:53 seems to have popped up in one of their films, especially the only one that I've ever wondered whether it had any effect on Lynch's later work (Blue Velvet was made 2 years after Blood Simple).

The second, totally clear, no doubt about it instance is far more interesting bordering on insane, as it occurs in none other than the 1982 documentary Atomic Café, which is of course about the history of nuclear warfare, and which utilizes a bunch of archival footage from the 1940s onward in a tongue in cheek manner. In one of these unintentionally comic archival pieces near the end of the film, the clock on the wall reads 2:53, on the dot. What an astounding...coincidence? As far as I'm concerned The Return taps in to so many coincidences such as this that coincidence is not an adequate word to describe what Lynch/Frost were tapping in to. (Such as that Steamship Laura backstory about the Maersk crates - glimpsed in Part 18 as Cooper approaches Judy's Diner to find Laura.) Anyway, my mind was blown. And Atomic Café is one of the movies that I recall being mentioned when critics/programmers were compiling viewing suggestions to accompany Part 8.
You should start with Lynch.
See Inland Empire... then wait for 2h53... SURPRISE. If you have seen Lynch previous works, you know who they are and where they are.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Boreas wrote:
LateReg wrote:
See Inland Empire... then wait for 2h53... SURPRISE. If you have seen Lynch previous works, you know who they are and where they are.
I've seen everything a number of times and rewatched his filmography after The Return, and I didn't ever recall seeing 2:53 on a clock. Did I miss something? Unless you're saying that INLAND EMPIRE's credits start rolling at 2 hours 53 minutes, which they might and is certainly interesting given what those credits may represent (an internal space such as the creative palace of the mind, perhaps).
Boreas

Post by Boreas »

LateReg wrote:
Boreas wrote:
LateReg wrote:
I've seen everything a number of times and rewatched his filmography after The Return, and I didn't ever recall seeing 2:53 on a clock. Did I miss something? Unless you're saying that INLAND EMPIRE's credits start rolling at 2 hours 53 minutes, which they might and is certainly interesting given what those credits may represent (an internal space such as the creative palace of the mind, perhaps).
Yes, the credit scene starts exactly at 2h53.
As I see it, its a "happy"? version and human of the black lodge/mistical spaces of Lynch movies. maybe even "the white lodge" since is the thing most similar to the description of what Garland Briggs said in season 2.
You got a girl without 1 leg (Juana Durango of Wild at heart), Laura Elena harring dressed as Camilla Rhodes of MD, Laura Dern as Laura Palmer ( a pretty close recreation of the ending of FWWM), along with the monkey which is with a blond eurasian girl (similar to Alice Wakefield of LH), we have someone sawing a log like Michael j Anderson in Symphony of broken dreams, an old woman sitting in a chair (the grandmother) and i fight a bit to understand who Natassja Kinski and the 2 men present could represent (could be the girl in the radiator an woodsman and the mistery man (since he is all in black).

Another thing related to those numbers is the short Quinoa... where Lynch is cooking quinoa simply...until the moment he talks about the hours, do a lot of math to conclude that 43(0) and (2)53 are important to the recipe and we see the clock in those moments. And then he just decide to talk about is euroean adventures in 1965 where he saw moths that appear to be frogs... frogmoths. (which Sabrina Sutherland already confirmed is the story that originated the creature in Part 8).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Boreas wrote:Yes, the credit scene starts exactly at 2h53.
As I see it, its a "happy"? version and human of the black lodge/mistical spaces of Lynch movies. maybe even "the white lodge" since is the thing most similar to the description of what Garland Briggs said in season 2.
You got a girl without 1 leg (Juana Durango of Wild at heart), Laura Elena harring dressed as Camilla Rhodes of MD, Laura Dern as Laura Palmer ( a pretty close recreation of the ending of FWWM), along with the monkey which is with a blond eurasian girl (similar to Alice Wakefield of LH), we have someone sawing a log like Michael j Anderson in Symphony of broken dreams, an old woman sitting in a chair (the grandmother) and i fight a bit to understand who Natassja Kinski and the 2 men present could represent (could be the girl in the radiator an woodsman and the mistery man (since he is all in black).
The woman is Penny Hintz, who was (is?) head of the LA Transcendental Meditation center (obviously very important to DKL...tellingly, she is credited as “Teacher”). I don’t think she looks grandmother age!

Another connection I never see anyone mention: it really looks to me like the mansion is the same space used in DKL’s 1992 commerial Who Is Gio? (in a sequence that I could SWEAR has a cameo by Warren Frost, but I’ve also never seen anyone mention that! So maybe I’m crazy).
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I'm feeling great. Can't say the same for our beloved Dale Cooper, what with him still being trapped in the Black Lodge.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mordeen wrote:I'm feeling great. Can't say the same for our beloved Dale Cooper, what with him still being trapped in the Black Lodge.

-Mordeen
Sure would like to read that script :D
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mordeen wrote:I'm feeling great. Can't say the same for our beloved Dale Cooper, what with him still being trapped in the Black Lodge.

-Mordeen
I'd say you could possibly take the man out of the lodge, but never the lodge out of the man. Inside/outside, future/past, after a certain point, these things get kind of blurry.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

A Golden Circle. They say unless we learn from the mistakes of our past, we're doomed to repeat it.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Andromedeaux
Roadhouse Member

Post by Andromedeaux »

Good lord. You are the kind of people who see Jesus in their toast. Or this guy...

https://deadspin.com/the-story-behind-t ... 1616389511