One year later - how are we feeling?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: One year later - how are we feeling?

Post by IcedOver »

I STILL haven't done a complete rewatch, but I have to say that my feelings toward the show have softened slightly. I don't know if the enthusiasm of others is rubbing off on me, or if a year has caused me to forget what I viewed as serious flaws and shortcomings. If I were to rewatch it in full, I'm sure those issues would still be bothersome. I'm talking about basic stuff that should have been obvious -- giving the viewer something to hang his hat on in terms of basic plot shit, characterization, motivation, and connection for characters like Mr. C, the Woodsmen, Judy, and even Cooper. You can do that and still have the surreal and absurdist aspects; in fact it would make that more powerful. I don't know that I necessarily buy the idea that absolutely all the go-nowhere elements were done by design for an absurdist reason; some were just carelessness.

Still, I will say that the show was unique. I believe it works best in an almost subliminal, impressionistic, anti-intellectual way, more on the level of feeling than something to be articulated. Of course you could say that about a lot of his work, but this was sprawling. It's very messy, but considering how tidy most shows and movies are, it's a relief to have that regardless of whether or not the messiness was all intentional.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

My own TP 3 "One Year Later" piece on my own website. It's more about appreciation than interpretation and goes into some storytelling and filmmaking analysis that hopefully isn't too dry.

http://www.theconstantbleeder.com/2018/ ... -re-watch/
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

pinballmars wrote:My own TP 3 "One Year Later" piece on my own website. It's more about appreciation than interpretation and goes into some storytelling and filmmaking analysis that hopefully isn't too dry.

Enjoyed reading that.

Personally, I still have mixed feelings a year on. As much as I love Lynch & Frost for not playing it safe, there's still a sense of missed opportunity, underdevelopment or bits that don't quite work (for me, at least) throughout the show. About 2/3 brilliance to 1/3 frustration or boredom. Personally, I'd have liked to see a bit more of the old characters (a lot of whom seem to be written in such a way they could easily be written out if the actors didn't sign up), have a few of the new characters fleshed out (they're nearly all entertaining to watch without having quite enough depth to really care about) and a little more connectivity (without needing to have every thread sown up). That said, it still makes almost all other TV, no matter how good, look like 'just another tv show'.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Totally agree with the many statements that have been made here regarding the inability to watch anything else after Twin Peaks. I've tried, and I'm just bored by the incredibly shallow and predictable nature of so much fiction. There's this one pretty cool show that I'm watching for the first time right now, however. It's called "On the Air".

:wink:
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

pinballmars wrote:My own TP 3 "One Year Later" piece on my own website. It's more about appreciation than interpretation and goes into some storytelling and filmmaking analysis that hopefully isn't too dry.

"Not too dry?" This was not just very yrev juicy but above all hot as the finest coffee anywhere served in a diner and beyond.

thx for sharing : - )
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Xavi wrote:

"Not too dry?" This was not just very yrev juicy but above all hot as the finest coffee anywhere served in a diner and beyond.

thx for sharing : - )
I appreciate the kind words.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I will say that occasionally I'm reminded of lines from the show. When I was doing something at work and clicked on "True" in a drop-down, I was reminded of Dougie's "True". Same with "Answers". Then in Word or Excel I get the message "You can close the window now" which brings up the cryptic "You can go out now" every time I look at it.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
beano
Roadhouse Member

Post by beano »

IcedOver wrote:I will say that occasionally I'm reminded of lines from the show. When I was doing something at work and clicked on "True" in a drop-down, I was reminded of Dougie's "True". Same with "Answers". Then in Word or Excel I get the message "You can close the window now" which brings up the cryptic "You can go out now" every time I look at it.
every time I get ready to leave my house I hear carrie page in my head saying "let's go!"
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

beano wrote:
IcedOver wrote:I will say that occasionally I'm reminded of lines from the show. When I was doing something at work and clicked on "True" in a drop-down, I was reminded of Dougie's "True". Same with "Answers". Then in Word or Excel I get the message "You can close the window now" which brings up the cryptic "You can go out now" every time I look at it.
every time I get ready to leave my house I hear carrie page in my head saying "let's go!"
The other day I was food shopping and in a hurry. I was walking briskly towards an exit with automatic sliding doors. I stuck my arm out and wiggled my hand so as to be sooner detected and avoid walking right into the glass. I was a few steps into the parking lot when I realized that I'd unwittingly done the brisk Cooper stride and curtain-opening hand motion (as if there's an invisible doorknob).

It struck me as funny.
Calderon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Calderon »

TP:TR changed my life. I have watched it about 15 times now and am still stunned by it. It is not without flaws, but for me it is the greatest artistic achievement of the 21st century.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I took a couple stabs at writing a response to this thread, but they never came out right so I've decided to stick with short and sweet.

For the longest time I found myself wavering in terms of how I felt about The Return. Watching live, there was a lot to love but there were also a few things that stuck out to me and impacted my reaction negatively. Eventually though, after the bluray came out and I did a full single sitting watch, I put myself firmly in the love it with a few caveats category. Since then, my appreciation has only grown and I rarely go a day without thinking about it. Sometimes it's just in a passing thought and sometimes it's the occasional deep dive that ends several wikipedia pages later.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

To me it doesn't seem lie 5 minutes since I watched the series last year, the time has flown by! However with time my love has grown and TR hit m like the first time I watched Twin Peaks 26 years ago - nothing else ever has and I am awestruck at the sheer brilliance of Lynch each time I watch. I'm now on about my 6th re-watch, apprecaiting it more each time. :)
The Angels will return...
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Mark-Frost-at-Home.jpg
Mark-Frost-at-Home.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 16096 times
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

I have just remembered a scene in episode 17 that I thought was particularly good. Laura and James are talking by the roadside, next to the dark woods. Good Dale Cooper materialises behind a tree! Laura seems to notice something and screams. Then Cooper ducks down. James asks Laura what is wrong, but she seems confused. She does not see him again, and forgets about the incident.

Laura's scream was in FWWM, the same scene. I always thought she saw an owl, or imagined that either Leland or Bobby Briggs were there. "What if he finds out? He might try to kill you!" This could mean either Leland Palmer or Bobby Briggs.

But it's actually Cooper that she notices. So it all fits together perfectly! Very neat piece of plotting.
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

pinballmars wrote: The summer of 2017 was The Summer of Twin Peaks. I will never forget it.
Totally agree with this. I had the pleasure of being at the Fest and watching episode 12 with the other fest goers (and some cast members). It was more than I could have ever asked for.