Repurposed Footage

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Repurposed Footage

Post by Soolsma »

krishnanspace wrote:
Soolsma wrote:And this pretty much closes the case on Lynch voicing the tree. Awesome!!!
As Tree had to speak on some shots, Lynch sent us some filmed footage of his mouth so we could match to his lips movement. We created a system that enabled to report automatically the lips movement via optical flow, and used the texture from Lynch' lips.
It doesn't explicitly say that Lynch voiced the arm,just that Lynch's lip movements were used as reference.Maybe someone else voiced it in post production
I think it's quite unlikely Lynch wouldn't credit someone except for himself.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Huh. That’s why I would never presume to go beyond 99%...nothing’s a sure thing, Shelly. ;)

I am surprised, though. The Part 17 scene plays like they were working around a few usable preexisting shots which were recycled and intercut over and over. If they were creating brand-new animation from a CGI model, why wouldn’t they just make each shot unique? The fact that Bob keeps “resetting” to the same few expressions lends to the criticism some have had that the orb feels like a Capcom video game boss.

Also, the stills on that webpage seem to contain a shot of Cooper and Garland that didn’t appear in the show.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Also, I’d been holding off on bragging about this, but I totally called that we would be getting a CGI de-aged Laura: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2644&p=76285&hilit=Hopkins#p76285
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Huh, good call.

re > Laura de-aging

Since her skin indeed seemed very young, but her facial features were still obviously like that of an older person (eg. eye sockets and jaw change over time), I always thought they put a truckload of make up on her and made use of smart lighting effects to make signs of aging less obvious. If they were using digital effects anyway, I don't know why they didn't bother to change the shape of her face as well.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Huh, good call.

re > Laura de-aging

Since her skin indeed seemed very young, but her facial features were still obviously like that of an older person (eg. eye sockets and jaw change over time), I always thought they put a truckload of make up on her and made use of smart lighting effects to make signs of aging less obvious. If they were using digital effects anyway, I don't know why they didn't bother to change the shape of her face as well.
Agreed. I didn’t find the CGI as effective as those other examples I mentioned (in fairness, I’m sure the budget was a lot smaller than what Marvel is working with). I believe you can catch a glimpse of pre-CGI Sheryl with the makeup on in the BTS documentary, and I don’t recall her looking too different from the final product.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Huh, good call.

re > Laura de-aging

Agreed. I didn’t find the CGI as effective as those other examples I mentioned (in fairness, I’m sure the budget was a lot smaller than what Marvel is working with). I believe you can catch a glimpse of pre-CGI Sheryl with the makeup on in the BTS documentary, and I don’t recall her looking too different from the final product.
For me her nose seemed off