Repurposed Footage

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Repurposed Footage

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Has anyone been able to locate the sources for all the repurposed footage of Garland and Bob in the new show?

Garland is relatively easy...I believe we only see the one shot of him (reused in both Part 3 and Part 17), and I think it’s from the “family therapy” scene in Episode 5 (the lighting is exactly right — check out the shadow on the chin — and DKL seems to have been too busy cropping off all Garland’s hair to catch the small booger in the left nostril :lol: ).

With Bob, I’m having a tougher time. User dkenny78 ID’ed the footage for the Part 5 Cooper/Bob mirror morph pretty quickly as being from Episode 16. One of the components in Part 17 is obviously the famous “glare from behind Laura’s bed” pose first seen in Episode 1. I haven’t had any luck in finding the source for the remaining shots, though. The audio for “catch you with my death bag” is obviously from the extended Pilot, but I don’t think any of the actual footage is from there. Several of the “feral Bob” shots look very close to the shot in FWWM when Laura finds Bob in her room and he screams — same angle, same tone/level in the performance — but none are exact matches (several expressions look like they might occur directly before or after the footage in the film). I’m beginning to suspect that this is deleted footage, like the shots of Pete from the Pilot and Leo/Ronette/Jacques from FWWM, also in Part 17.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Repurposed Footage

Post by Soolsma »

Also BOB in the the egg emerging from Cooper in pt 8 seems very similar to the BOB hiding in Laura's room, when he just shows from behind the light. Seems like that and and the frenzied BOB are indeed taken from a different take of that very scene. If you ask me, Lynch just wanted to make sure he'd use unused footage, to not break a feeling of immersion. He has worked on TMP quite recently so he had plenty of time to skim across a lot of footage.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I think some of the BOB footage are from deleted scene/archival footage. I think there are many other footage from the Pilot, series and FWWM kept hidden for a very long time (alternate takes, alt. camere angle - like the one with Laura escaping from her room meeting James, the ride on the Harley, Jacques, Leo and Ronette etc). I wish they were used as bonus material in the special features bluray of the Entire Mystery boxset. Maybe one day...
Roomservice...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Soolsma wrote:Also BOB in the the egg emerging from Cooper in pt 8 seems very similar to the BOB hiding in Laura's room, when he just shows from behind the light. Seems like that and and the frenzied BOB are indeed taken from a different take of that very scene. If you ask me, Lynch just wanted to make sure he'd use unused footage, to not break a feeling of immersion. He has worked on TMP quite recently so he had plenty of time to skim across a lot of footage.
I thought the same thing. I have to say, I don’t think about it as much as, say, the Episode 9 couch scene, but that scene in FWWM is one of Silva’s more terrifying moments.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Also BOB in the the egg emerging from Cooper in pt 8 seems very similar to the BOB hiding in Laura's room, when he just shows from behind the light. Seems like that and and the frenzied BOB are indeed taken from a different take of that very scene. If you ask me, Lynch just wanted to make sure he'd use unused footage, to not break a feeling of immersion. He has worked on TMP quite recently so he had plenty of time to skim across a lot of footage.
Same footage but its mirrored if I am correct
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

It just brought a smile to my face to realize that DKL’s approach to Garland and Bob in the new show is a higher-tech version of Ed Wood’s use of the late Bela Lugosi in one of my favorite films, Plan 9 from Outer Space. DKL was arguably more successful than Wood, of course.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:
Same footage but its mirrored if I am correct
Not the same footage. He’s showing more teeth in the Part 8 version.
thedarktrees
Roadhouse Member

Post by thedarktrees »

I had always thought that many of the Bob orb faces from the Freddie showdown made use of the same Bob footage that was in the Ronnette dream sequence in Season 2 Episode 1 (the one where it shows her dreaming/remembering the actual murder in the traincar). Specifically there's a blurry scene of Bob running straight at the camera, and that one really look a LOT to me like the yelling Bob face they stuck in the orb in Ep. 17.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

thedarktrees wrote:I had always thought that many of the Bob orb faces from the Freddie showdown made use of the same Bob footage that was in the Ronnette dream sequence in Season 2 Episode 1 (the one where it shows her dreaming/remembering the actual murder in the traincar). Specifically there's a blurry scene of Bob running straight at the camera, and that one really look a LOT to me like the yelling Bob face they stuck in the orb in Ep. 17.
I thought the same thing, but when I compared the footage, I realized it’s not even close. That scene, like so much of the Silva footage from the original show, has Bob smiling demonically. The Part 17 footage is mostly smile-free.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

https://buf.com/films/twin-peaks/
So it seems all the Bob shots were of a CGI Frank Silva and not repurposed footage

Also Sarah's face was initially the above image with Lynch Later adding Judy/Experiment
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:https://buf.com/films/twin-peaks/
So it seems all the Bob shots were of a CGI Frank Silva and not repurposed footage

Also Sarah's face was initially the above image with Lynch Later adding Judy/Experiment
I don’t think that’s true, re: Silva. I think BUF included those shots on their reel because they animated the orb. They also may have done some digital manipulation of existing Silva footage, but I’m 99% certain they didn’t create any of that footage from scratch.

As far as Sarah, yes, DKL created what we saw inside her face. A lot of it resembles a piece he made for an art exhibition a few years ago. I would bet that the shot was never intended to be seen the way that it appears in BUF’s reel, they just put the unfinished version in there so that they’re not taking credit for DKL’s work on the finished product.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

cgi after all

Post by Soolsma »

99% won't cut it Reindeer ;) It says so on the website. Scroll down for a ton of interesting descriptions on how scenes were made
cgibob.png
cgibob.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 11262 times
There you have it. Most of the BOB we saw was CGI! They did use some old imagery as reference to color the textures, but not as source material for manipulation.

As Frost said in his AMA in his reply to my question: "from the start, digital was the only way to go"

a fun thread to look back on. Most people thought it'd be Leland!!
Last edited by Soolsma on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

And this pretty much closes the case on Lynch voicing the tree. Awesome!!!
As Tree had to speak on some shots, Lynch sent us some filmed footage of his mouth so we could match to his lips movement. We created a system that enabled to report automatically the lips movement via optical flow, and used the texture from Lynch' lips.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:And this pretty much closes the case on Lynch voicing the tree. Awesome!!!
As Tree had to speak on some shots, Lynch sent us some filmed footage of his mouth so we could match to his lips movement. We created a system that enabled to report automatically the lips movement via optical flow, and used the texture from Lynch' lips.
It doesn't explicitly say that Lynch voiced the arm,just that Lynch's lip movements were used as reference.Maybe someone else voiced it in post production
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Most important line in the description which affects the story is about Judy. When she pukes out BoB , the scene is taking place inside the Convenience Store. Also the Fireman's mansion is referred to as a Factory