What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

bosguy1981
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm
Contact:

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby bosguy1981 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:54 am

CRISPIN GLOVER!
Hester Prynne
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby Hester Prynne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:13 am

N. Needleman wrote:I might spontaneously develop cancer if Jared Leto was on the show.


LOL - Maybe he could just make a brief appearance as Dr. Jacoby's long lost son and you could turn away from the tv for the ten minute monologue :wink:. The man locks would have to go, though.

Regarding the original cast, I echo everyone else's thoughts on Ontkean and Graham. Would definitely want to see more Fenn and what's going on with Audrey and would LOVE if Piper made an appearance - just to see Ben and Catherine together one more time.
Hester Prynne
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby Hester Prynne » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 am

bosguy1981 wrote:CRISPIN GLOVER!


Love it. He seems custom-made for Twin Peaks.

This is fun - it's like the Season 4 draft pool. :D
Mr. Jackpots
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:17 pm

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby Mr. Jackpots » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 am

Lynch has given roles to a lot of musicians in his films.

Chris Isaak, David Bowie, Marilyn Manson, Henry Rollins, Chrysta Bell, Rebekah del Rio, Sting, and I know a few others aswell.

I noticed Mike Patton is performing at the next festival of disruption.

1 vote for Mike Patton.

If anyone has checked out the Mr. BUNGLE music videos for Pink Cigarette and Retrovertigo they are quite Lynchian. I am a Mike Patton fan and know he is fan of Twin Peaks.
User avatar
marchug
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:10 am
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.
Contact:

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby marchug » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:56 am

I have to go with the previously mentioned Chris Isaak so we can explore some of the mystery of where he ended up and what he ended up doing. I'd love Heather Graham so they could film that great (and cheeky) scene that Mark Frost wrote in the Final Dossier. More Amy Shiels as Candy would be great but I suppose not totally necessary. As for actors that haven't been in Twin Peaks before? I'd love to see Lynch direct Fiona O'Shaughnessy & Oliver Woollford from Utopia. Also Douglas Henshall from Shetland. Georgina Campbell, Letitia Wright, Imogen Poots, Joe Cole...

I third the Crispin Glover vote. He was fantastic in Hotel Room!
-23-
User avatar
meadowlark
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby meadowlark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 am

I would like to see: Mr Pinkle and Richard Tremayne, who were so funny in Season 2. It's possible that Richard is Wally Brando's father. I agree that it would be nice to see Catherine Martell again. I wonder what happened to her after the explosion at the bank? Did she take early retirement?

Also, Mrs Temond and her grandson Pierre were great characters. Could they be re-cast?

If Jared Leto is a possibility, then why not Clare Danes?! A great actress. I can imagine her as an FBI agent, similar to her role in Homeland.
User avatar
meadowlark
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby meadowlark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:59 am

I would also like to see Annie Blackburn. I think they should have done at least one scene with her and Norma, just so we know what happened to her. In Season 4, she could suddenly awaken from her trance, work at the Diner again, run around town interacting with people, etc.
User avatar
eyeboogers
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby eyeboogers » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:23 pm

meadowlark wrote:Also, Mrs Temond and her grandson Pierre were great characters. Could they be re-cast?


They were :-)
User avatar
krishnanspace
Posts: 762
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby krishnanspace » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Mads Mikkelsen as some BoB like figure.That guy really creeps me out
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby mtwentz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:43 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote: In general, I’d like to see DKL work with more actors of color.


I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. After seeing how Hamilton (created by a person of color, Lin Manuel Miranda) has transformed Broadway and opened up so much opportunity for non-white actors, it's clear that white guys like Lynch or Ben Affleck or Matt Damon or whoever are not going to willfully do anything except tokenism (Michael Horse being the exception; he's not a token but plays an integral part in the Twin Peaks universe).

On the positive side, The Return for the first time brought Latino actors into the Twin Peaks world (albeit in minor roles).

I do believe if Frost were completely in charge, we'd see a more diverse cast.

Edit: To clarify the above, it's not that I think any of the people above are 'racist', it's mostly that they have a harder time visualizing people of color in certain roles. That was the genius of Lin Manuel Miranda, he broke past all that and it really works spectacularly well.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:30 am

I think in Lynch’s case, he’s in love with a certain Norman Rockwell view of America, and also with older movies that all starred white people. Because of his formative influences, his aesthetic just naturally runs to caucasian faces when he’s visualizing a role, and he doesn’t really second-guess it because he never wants to overthink his gut instincts. Some people probably would claim that that is an ingrained form of racism (I don’t necessarily agree, but I’m also white).

It’s also worth noting that the David Lynch Foundation targets inner-city schools as a big part of its initiative to bring TM to at-risk populations, so he certainly thinks about the dangers and deprivations of racial and economic inequality and wants to help. It would just be nice to see more characters like Hawk, Reggie in W@H (who sadly mostly got cut, but he’s one of my favorite characters in that world), even some of the characters from the Roadhouse scenes in S3 which I loved.

(EDIT: Come to think of it, even Reggie was almost entirely Barry Gifford’s creation from the novel. Lynch cast the brilliant Calvin Lockhart and got a great performance, but also created a white partner for him who was not in the novel. Not sure what that says.)
User avatar
zeronumber
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby zeronumber » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:30 am

Laura Elena Harring
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby mtwentz » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I think in Lynch’s case, he’s in love with a certain Norman Rockwell view of America, and also with older movies that all starred white people. Because of his formative influences, his aesthetic just naturally runs to caucasian faces when he’s visualizing a role, and he doesn’t really second-guess it because he never wants to overthink his gut instincts. Some people probably would claim that that is an ingrained form of racism (I don’t necessarily agree, but I’m also white).

It’s also worth noting that the David Lynch Foundation targets inner-city schools as a big part of its initiative to bring TM to at-risk populations, so he certainly thinks about the dangers and deprivations of racial and economic inequality and wants to help. It would just be nice to see more characters like Hawk, Reggie in W@H (who sadly mostly got cut, but he’s one of my favorite characters in that world), even some of the characters from the Roadhouse scenes in S3 which I loved.

(EDIT: Come to think of it, even Reggie was almost entirely Barry Gifford’s creation from the novel. Lynch cast the brilliant Calvin Lockhart and got a great performance, but also created a white partner for him who was not in the novel. Not sure what that says.)


I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I would not think it is an ingrained form of racism, just a mostly unconscious bias toward Caucasians.

I agree the Lynch Foundation is doing good works in the inner-city and I think it is pretty clear that Lynch himself is very anti-racist/anti-bigotry.

One thing that did irk me was Lucy calling Hawk an 'Indian', when I don't believe he was ever called that in the original series. I wasn't sure whether that was supposed to show Lucy and Andy resentful towards Hawk for being promoted, whether it was a weak attempt at humor to show Lucy hadn't caught on that no one calls Native Americans 'Indians' anymore, or what. But whatever the intent was, that part did come off as insensitive at a time when the term 'Indian' and 'Redskin' is being debated as a national issue. I'm pretty sure the intent was not to insult Native Americans, but still, it's not something I would have put in there.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
Mr. Reindeer
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am

Hawk had probably corrected them a hundred times and eventually gave up. Like the “bunny” scene, I think the “joke” is that Hawk has to bear their cluelessness in subdued annoyance while he tries to solve the mystery. I also think it’s significant that L/F grew up in a time when the label “Indian” was considered harmless by the culture at large, and was even the name of a beloved childhood game they both almost certainly played. Mark is obviously now “woke” in this regard, with a large chunk of TSHoTP documenting the wrongs that caucasians perpetrated against Native Americans, and even adding a mea culpa for the “Tommy Hawk” pun he found funny in the ‘90s. As for DKL, I certainly agree with you that he has love in his heart for all people, and he gives Hawk so much dignity in those scenes, and Horse has had nothing but positive things to say. But DKL has always been vocally dismissive of political correctness when people have tried to explain to him how his works might be viewed as insensitive in some circles, and I would guess that he has some nostalgia for the term “Indian” due to the romanticism of the Old West and the frontier when he was growing up.

mtwentz wrote:I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I would not think it is an ingrained form of racism, just a mostly unconscious bias toward Caucasians.


And I think the argument would be that it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other. Racism doesn’t necessarily have to be either conscious or malicious. Again, not necessarily saying I agree with this.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Postby mtwentz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:35 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hawk had probably corrected them a hundred times and eventually gave up. Like the “bunny” scene, I think the “joke” is that Hawk has to bear their cluelessness in subdued annoyance while he tries to solve the mystery. I also think it’s significant that L/F grew up in a time when the label “Indian” was considered harmless by the culture at large, and was even the name of a beloved childhood game they both almost certainly played. Mark is obviously now “woke” in this regard, with a large chunk of TSHoTP documenting the wrongs that caucasians perpetrated against Native Americans, and even adding a mea culpa for the “Tommy Hawk” pun he found funny in the ‘90s. As for DKL, I certainly agree with you that he has love in his heart for all people, and he gives Hawk so much dignity in those scenes, and Horse has had nothing but positive things to say. But DKL has always been vocally dismissive of political correctness when people have tried to explain to him how his works might be viewed as insensitive in some circles, and I would guess that he has some nostalgia for the term “Indian” due to the romanticism of the Old West and the frontier when he was growing up.

mtwentz wrote:I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I would not think it is an ingrained form of racism, just a mostly unconscious bias toward Caucasians.


And I think the argument would be that it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other. Racism doesn’t necessarily have to be either conscious or malicious. Again, not necessarily saying I agree with this.


So I looked it up, and apparently 'Indian' is not universally offensive to, as Dick Tremayne would put it, 'native peoples'. Some actually prefer 'Indian' over 'Native American', though many like neither and would prefer to be identified by their specific tribe. So I guess Lynch and Frost get a pass on this one.

Still, I found the exchange odd and I think the humor fell flat, at least for me. Luckily, the rest of that scene was hilarious (IMHO).
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests