What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: What actors/actresses would you like to see in a season 4..?

Post by LateReg »

mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hawk had probably corrected them a hundred times and eventually gave up. Like the “bunny” scene, I think the “joke” is that Hawk has to bear their cluelessness in subdued annoyance while he tries to solve the mystery. I also think it’s significant that L/F grew up in a time when the label “Indian” was considered harmless by the culture at large, and was even the name of a beloved childhood game they both almost certainly played. Mark is obviously now “woke” in this regard, with a large chunk of TSHoTP documenting the wrongs that caucasians perpetrated against Native Americans, and even adding a mea culpa for the “Tommy Hawk” pun he found funny in the ‘90s. As for DKL, I certainly agree with you that he has love in his heart for all people, and he gives Hawk so much dignity in those scenes, and Horse has had nothing but positive things to say. But DKL has always been vocally dismissive of political correctness when people have tried to explain to him how his works might be viewed as insensitive in some circles, and I would guess that he has some nostalgia for the term “Indian” due to the romanticism of the Old West and the frontier when he was growing up.
mtwentz wrote:I don't disagree with anything you've written here. I would not think it is an ingrained form of racism, just a mostly unconscious bias toward Caucasians.
And I think the argument would be that it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other. Racism doesn’t necessarily have to be either conscious or malicious. Again, not necessarily saying I agree with this.
So I looked it up, and apparently 'Indian' is not universally offensive to, as Dick Tremayne would put it, 'native peoples'. Some actually prefer 'Indian' over 'Native American', though many like neither and would prefer to be identified by their specific tribe. So I guess Lynch and Frost get a pass on this one.

Still, I found the exchange odd and I think the humor fell flat, at least for me. Luckily, the rest of that scene was hilarious (IMHO).
I found it totally refreshing, as I did the overall lack of hand holding in regards to the portrayal of gender, abuse, etc throughout. I'm with Lynch on political correctness, and I felt that moment in particular was funny (enough) even without digging for deeper meaning regarding Lucy's (potentially many layers of) ignorance; even if it's not meant to show her ignorance and is just surface, it still works as comedy. People say potentially insensitive stuff all the time. I don't want it censored in my art just because we're living in a "woke" world.

I also don't necessarily think Lynch needs to incorporate more persons of color, though I understand the argument. I appreciate his pure vision and don't think of it in terms of those "faults."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hawk had probably corrected them a hundred times and eventually gave up. Like the “bunny” scene, I think the “joke” is that Hawk has to bear their cluelessness in subdued annoyance while he tries to solve the mystery. I also think it’s significant that L/F grew up in a time when the label “Indian” was considered harmless by the culture at large, and was even the name of a beloved childhood game they both almost certainly played. Mark is obviously now “woke” in this regard, with a large chunk of TSHoTP documenting the wrongs that caucasians perpetrated against Native Americans, and even adding a mea culpa for the “Tommy Hawk” pun he found funny in the ‘90s. As for DKL, I certainly agree with you that he has love in his heart for all people, and he gives Hawk so much dignity in those scenes, and Horse has had nothing but positive things to say. But DKL has always been vocally dismissive of political correctness when people have tried to explain to him how his works might be viewed as insensitive in some circles, and I would guess that he has some nostalgia for the term “Indian” due to the romanticism of the Old West and the frontier when he was growing up.

And I think the argument would be that it’s six of one, half a dozen of the other. Racism doesn’t necessarily have to be either conscious or malicious. Again, not necessarily saying I agree with this.
So I looked it up, and apparently 'Indian' is not universally offensive to, as Dick Tremayne would put it, 'native peoples'. Some actually prefer 'Indian' over 'Native American', though many like neither and would prefer to be identified by their specific tribe. So I guess Lynch and Frost get a pass on this one.

Still, I found the exchange odd and I think the humor fell flat, at least for me. Luckily, the rest of that scene was hilarious (IMHO).
I found it totally refreshing, as I did the overall lack of hand holding in regards to the portrayal of gender, abuse, etc throughout. I'm with Lynch on political correctness, and I felt that moment in particular was funny (enough) even without digging for deeper meaning regarding Lucy's (potentially many layers of) ignorance; even if it's not meant to show her ignorance and is just surface, it still works as comedy. People say potentially insensitive stuff all the time. I don't want it censored in my art just because we're living in a "woke" world.

I also don't necessarily think Lynch needs to incorporate more persons of color, though I understand the argument. I appreciate his pure vision and don't think of it in terms of those "faults."
This is one of the rare instances where I actually agree with an appreciator of S3 - I find all the talk about the (mis)handling of the so-called sensitive issues of today (race, gender, religion, violence, GAP) in the new season annoying, if I want to be nice (or a load of hi(p)sterical moralising BS, if I don't wanna be so nice). Kudos to Lynch & Co. for not giving in to the meaningless fad that commands a creator to be nice to each and every thing/person in his creations.
Now, I want to make perfectly clear I see nothing wrong with discussing and dealing with all these issues in politics, media and various social agendas in general, it's pushing them into the realm of the art just because it's the cool thing to do that I can't stand. An artist should be totally free to do what he wants in/with his art - if he wants to use it to propel "political correctness" (whatever that means) and see if he can contribute to changing the world, hey, best of luck to him; if, on the other hand, his thoughts, interests, meditations, dreams, whatever lead him away from such topics, then for goodness' sake leave the guy to be what he wants to be and enjoy his art for what it is (or walk away).
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:
LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote:

This is one of the rare instances where I actually agree with an appreciator of S3 - I find all the talk about the (mis)handling of the so-called sensitive issues of today (race, gender, religion, violence, GAP) in the new season annoying, if I want to be nice (or a load of hi(p)sterical moralising BS, if I don't wanna be so nice). Kudos to Lynch & Co. for not giving in to the meaningless fad that commands a creator to be nice to each and every thing/person in his creations.
Now, I want to make perfectly clear I see nothing wrong with discussing and dealing with all these issues in politics, media and various social agendas in general, it's pushing them into the realm of the art just because it's the cool thing to do that I can't stand. An artist should be totally free to do what he wants in/with his art - if he wants to use it to propel "political correctness" (whatever that means) and see if he can contribute to changing the world, hey, best of luck to him; if, on the other hand, his thoughts, interests, meditations, dreams, whatever lead him away from such topics, then for goodness' sake leave the guy to be what he wants to be and enjoy his art for what it is (or walk away).
It's not really about 'political correctness' per se. It's more just an observation that Lynch has never given a lead role or even a major supporting role to anyone other than a Caucasian in his entire career, which must be pretty extraordinary in today's world. But then again, Lynch hasn't made that many movies, so to many, it hasn't been that noticeable.

On a grander scale though, if you have 40% of the population is nonwhite, but let's say, 90% of the roles going to white people, it's quite possible that the power structure of Hollywood is blocking some very talented people from getting a fair shot at some major roles simply because of their ethnic makeup. And I think that's what we've found; there were always plenty of talented non-white people out there vying for roles, but because of biases, it was difficult for them to be considered for certain roles.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I don't see why this topic has to come into play when discussing TP or Lynch's work in general. Of course, all of the viewers/fans are free to discuss whatever they like, but I personally place little to no value on such topics. To me, the only real measure for assessing a work of art - in this case, film - is how well it works with mechanisms it displays (the creator chose to display, for whatever reasons). Some of my most favourite characters in movies and TV shows are women and black people (gee, is it even allowed to call them that these days?) and I wouldn't even attempt to picture those roles with white or male actors in their places. So why should I wonder how would the characters of, say, Harry Truman or Jeffrey Beaumont work if those two would be black guys, or ponder just what it was that made Lynch choose a couple of young/middle-aged white guys to play them? It's a fool's errand.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Agent Earle wrote:I don't see why this topic has to come into play when discussing TP or Lynch's work in general. Of course, all of the viewers/fans are free to discuss whatever they like, but I personally place little to no value on such topics. To me, the only real measure for assessing a work of art - in this case, film - is how well it works with mechanisms it displays (the creator chose to display, for whatever reasons). Some of my most favourite characters in movies and TV shows are women and black people (gee, is it even allowed to call them that these days?) and I wouldn't even attempt to picture those roles with white or male actors in their places. So why should I wonder how would the characters of, say, Harry Truman or Jeffrey Beaumont work if those two would be black guys, or ponder just what it was that made Lynch choose a couple of young/middle-aged white guys to play them? It's a fool's errand.
It came up in this case because of the topic of this thread, what actors and actresses would we like to see Lynch work with. Personally, I think it would enrich and enhance his work. I really like the character of Jade, and thought her role had more promise and could have been expanded a little. I thought she worked quite well with Lynch btw.

For Season 4, if Lynch really wants to get radical, Cooper will dump Diane and Laura and take an Odyssey back to Vegas to find Jade :-)
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

mtwentz wrote:For Season 4, if Lynch really wants to get radical, Cooper will dump Diane and Laura and take an Odyssey back to Vegas to find Jade :-)
Yeah but when he gets back to town, he's gonna find out that Dougie II is messing around with Jade. Cue the opening credits for Jade Give Two Rides, the new Polyandry sitcom that Showtime is being so tight lipped about.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
mtwentz wrote:For Season 4, if Lynch really wants to get radical, Cooper will dump Diane and Laura and take an Odyssey back to Vegas to find Jade :-)
Yeah but when he gets back to town, he's gonna find out that Dougie II is messing around with Jade. Cue the opening credits for Jade Give Two Rides, the new Polyandry sitcom that Showtime is being so tight lipped about.
Lol.

No more spoilers please. I've heard enough already. I can't wait.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

I'd like to see Austin Jack Lynch and Duncan Jones....

That way we can get a prequel season that starts off with a young Gordon Cole & Phillip Jeffries investigating Lois Duffy. Lois Duffy should be played by Fiona O'Shaughnessy. That's what I want. :D
-23-
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
Love it!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Paul Giamatti.