Emmy Nominations thread

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Emmy Nominations thread

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:Well, for what it's worth, Versace is actually quite bold and uniquely compelling. It's as much a thriller with disturbingly real horror elements as a melodrama as a psychological profile as an historical and political document, and the sprawling time hopping narrative is challengingly fragmented, and the lead performance is outstanding and downright fascinating. I liked it way more than I expected, and Matt Zoller Seitz has recently referred to it as being unlike anything he's seen before on TV. Murphy used his clout to make something a bit different, but as far as whether Murphy deserved to win for a single hour of TV, well, the answer is obviously and resoundingly no, for every practical reason you can think of, ranging from Lynch having directed the finest single hour of TV in 2017 to his having directed all 18 hours. But Emmy voters vote for what they're comfortable with or the biggest name they recognize, and they're obviously comfortable with Murphy, regardless of how ambitious and relatively daring Versace is. (Hence why Game of Thrones somehow still won drama this year despite the weaker season.) Such a shame. Expected, of course, but a shame nonetheless.
Fair enough. I admittedly have a bit of a bee in my bonnet over Murphy, as every show I’ve seen of his seems to revel in a smug self-satisfied belief that it is “important TV” and “woke” while actually being lazily written, exploitive, and leaning on shock value and cheap twists. But I trust your opinion (and Zoller Seitz’s), and I guess I should check it out at some point, if only to have a well-rounded view of Murphy’s output before I criticize him again.

It’s certainly a pity that this particular season of GoT beat the final season of The Americans. I’m glad Matthew Rhys won best actor, but Keri Russell was robbed.

I didn’t watch the ceremony, but am I correct in assuming that no one from the TP cast/crew was in attendance?
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Fair enough. I admittedly have a bit of a bee...

It’s certainly a pity that this particular season of GoT beat the final season of The Americans. I’m glad Matthew Rhys won beat actor, but Keri Russell was robbed.

I didn’t watch the ceremony, but am I correct in assuming that no one from the TP cast/crew was in attendance?
I agree about Murphy. When he's not throwing excessive shit at the wall to see if it sticks (the flaw of AHS), there is a certain air of "look at me." And I totally agree about Americans. When it won for writing and Rhys won I thought yessssss finally. And then the bottom fell out. Actress was a tough category, but I can't believe Foy won. And I just don't know what Emmy voters are doing when that final season of Americans can't beat the worst season of Game of Thrones...and last year the final season of Leftovers was completely shut out of nominations.

The consolation in all this is that it would appear that no one from the Peaks camp was in attendance. It's sort of interesting to think about how back in 1990 even if Lynch was the only one nominated, he would have played the game and made an appearance. But he/they just have better things to do at this point in life.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Well... to sum up my feelings about most of these new television shows as well as awards and their associated events:

"Yuck."

I did get a kick out of the Wikipedia description of the Emmy Award though:
An Emmy Award, or simply Emmy, is an American award that recognizes excellence in the television industry.

Excellence indeed. Moving on to Season 4 now.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I didn’t watch the ceremony, but am I correct in assuming that no one from the TP cast/crew was in attendance?
Laura Dern was there, but she was nominated for something else.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

This was the first year in quite a few that I even looked at nominations or winners. I watch the two main movie awards shows, but not TV. The amount of SJW insanity is off putting in the movie ceremonies enough that the Emmys are too much. Also, too many categories, networks, and shows that I don't watch. I recorded it and fast forwarded to the writing and directing categories. I can't speak for the Versace show; I should watch it, but I procrastinated with that and every season of "AHS" since the third. The first few episodes of "AHS" are some great horror. It's too bad that more people didn't choose Lynch over Murphy, but from what you guys are saying, he wasn't in attendance anyway.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Ryan Murphy is awful.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.