What would a Season 4 be about?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Re: What would a Season 4 be about?

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:For some reason I wasn't scared back in 1990 but the Maddie death scene scares the heck out of me 28 years later.
It was very disturbing
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:
mtwentz wrote:For some reason I wasn't scared back in 1990 but the Maddie death scene scares the heck out of me 28 years later.
It was very disturbing
Part of the reason it probably didn't impact me as much during the initial run was that I just so happened to miss the air date; I hate a party or something to go to, and I completely forgot that Saturday night was the big night, the much awaited who killed Laura Palmer reveal. And before I could watch it on videotape, I read the spoiler in the SF Chronicle about how the whole scene played out.

I'm still kicking myself for that years later...I shoulda known not to pick up the newspaper before I saw the episode.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
It was very disturbing
Part of the reason it probably didn't impact me as much during the initial run was that I just so happened to miss the air date; I hate a party or something to go to, and I completely forgot that Saturday night was the big night, the much awaited who killed Laura Palmer reveal. And before I could watch it on videotape, I read the spoiler in the SF Chronicle about how the whole scene played out.

I'm still kicking myself for that years later...I shoulda known not to pick up the newspaper before I saw the episode.
Yeah, that sure wasn't a scene to be missed. I watched it as it originally aired in my country (no net those days, so one could easily avoid spoilers; besides, we were approximately half a year behind the States with the airing of the series, so while the show was basically in its last gasps over there, we were still wandering who killed Laura Palmer) and I still remember the feeling of deep dread and utter shock to this day.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

To me it was scary because it was so earned. Peaks may have been in the graveyard Saturday night lot, but the ones still sticking with it had the fun of the tension mounting in the three episodes of the One Eyed Jacks raid through the reveal of the murderer. It was very exciting, And one of the most important components for that was we had come to love the characters and care about their plights. We were invested and hoping certain people wouldn’t be the killer or killed. There was a legitimate charm to the characters.

What was so brilliant about he murder scene was it subverted our expectations. We were told we’d find out who the killer was. Naturally, a conclusion would be a variable of Cooper bringing Ben, Audrey, Donna, Leo etc all into a room and eventually saying, “the killer was... you!” And instead we basically get the reveal as a re-enactment of Laura’s murder with the same actress. And it wasn’t so much ohhhh, X did it as woah, I can’t believe what I’m watching! And interesting to me, Maddy was the least successful character to me for most of the time (which I think was also the point, she’s more a wink, wink plot device cipher than a living breathing character). I remember thinking when she says goodbye to James the episode before, ohhh I like Maddy, she is a person. And then terrified for her when she meets her end. A McGuffin becomes humanized.

For me, Lynch isn’t scary but he can do his version of Hitchockian tension very well. But (again for me) when working alone his scripts and singular style seems so clinical and characters sterile... that if it had the snap and bounce of a Peyton Engles script coupled with his direction I’d be more invested.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Beautifully stated.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Hi everybody, have not logged in for a while. For some unknown reason I have started thinking about TP again. Would we see a Season 4? I had thought back then, and still do, that if it were to ever come back, it would come back shorter (a mini 4-part series or a FWWM). What is interesting though is that I am thinking about it again, not that I know anything, but if it were to come back, maybe there is something on the quantum level that TP fans are attuned to. :-)
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

boske wrote:Hi everybody, have not logged in for a while. For some unknown reason I have started thinking about TP again. Would we see a Season 4? I had thought back then, and still do, that if it were to ever come back, it would come back shorter (a mini 4-part series or a FWWM). What is interesting though is that I am thinking about it again, not that I know anything, but if it were to come back, maybe there is something on the quantum level that TP fans are attuned to. :-)
Welcome back!
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

LateReg wrote:A few things, most of which I've said before.
That was a really good post. Thank you!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Thanks mtwentz!

So where are we now? I have not watched the Return since it had aired, except the rerun of first three episodes on cable. I do not own it own DVD either. I have kept my reservations to large parts of it (especially to most parts of Dougie Jones story-line and Sarah Novak Palmer New Mexico connection, and let's not forget coordinates business), but that's not for this discussion/thread. Knowing all of this, let's see what's on my mind right now pertaining to Season 4.

I think the Return can be considered as a snapshot into the stage of spiritual evolution Cooper finds himself in, particularly comparing it to FWWM. In FWWM there is that memorable lodge scene with LMFAP where Cooper asks "Where am I, what is this place?" We can see that he has evolved from that point so much that he knows that he has to find the missing page (or is it ultimately Page?). As Leland said "Find Laura". Once he has found her he then attempts to undo the story of her murder, hoping that would undo everything and let them escape, and he ultimately fails. His response is telling, it is "What year is this?" and not "Where am I, what is this place?" So he came/evolved from a situation where he was completely lost to a new one, where he remembers the complete story ("do you remember your doppleganger"), and "almost" gets out of this cycle of time into the "real/actual" one.

For this reason, I think that the "nonexistent" NYC fall placed Cooper in an alternate timeline (hence no Annie, and as Mark said, "Lana won the Miss Twin Peaks contest"). Some people may consider it a dream (cue "Sleepwalk" from Santo and Johhny) instead of this other timeline, either way it is important to remember LMFAP circling his hand around the ring in FWWM and altering time. This is not the original Twin Peaks and would explain why some most of the things/people are there, and yet something's not quite right. The fact that we have a generic Episode 8 in that position means nothing, that could have come much earlier in the Return, it could have been the first (minus the Mr. C revival). The lack of music could be somewhat attributed to this too. "Where we come from birds sing happy song there is always music in the air", and we got no birds (except one owl in Vegas), and very little music. Cooper did not get home, and when he thought he did (he literally walked Laura back to her actual home), things were still shockingly off. Something was still off.

So it if came to Season 4, it could continue at that point where Laura and Cooper try to complete the last piece of the puzzle and get out into real timeline (not sure what would happen to Carrie Page here then), or equally likely, finally reach the White Lodge. Yes, Laura is dead (physically), but "she lives" (her spirit is alive). I consider (in Jungian terms) Diane as Cooper's anima to his animus (remember her crescent-like hairstyle), and following their conjunction (that may have been flawed and led to his failure), we may therefore not get to see Diane again should he find his way back to reality. It is important to remember that missing scene from FWWM where Cooper talks to Diane and notices that she "changed the clock". We do not yet know if Diane exists in the original TP other that being in Cooper's imagination or psyche.

So, is there a potential for Season 4. Definitely, the journey is not done for Cooper, but this time he may just get out for real, and that would explain why Season 3 looked and worked the way it did (remember what Carl Rood said "what a f***ing nightmare.")

Unrelated, so I do not forget, regarding the sound heard at the beginning, and as Laura disappears from Cooper's grip in episode 17 (I believe), I heard a very similar sound in an old 60's movie as I was flipping channels apparently coming from a field animal or an insect, but I never figured out what it was. That is another clue for sure. I do not think that sound was coming from a slot machine, or anything like that, but who knows.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

boske wrote: Unrelated, so I do not forget, regarding the sound heard at the beginning, and as Laura disappears from Cooper's grip in episode 17 (I believe), I heard a very similar sound in an old 60's movie as I was flipping channels apparently coming from a field animal or an insect, but I never figured out what it was. That is another clue for sure. I do not think that sound was coming from a slot machine, or anything like that, but who knows.
Welcome back indeed. Coincidentally I just came back here a few days ago feeling strangely compelled to see what had come of things in here.

It is the sound of Laura opening her diary in FWWM.

The Fireman refers Cooper to the diary using that trigger in order to remind him of the passage Laura wrote after seeing Annie in her dream that specifically states that he is in the Lodge and can't get out. That opening scene in Part 1 (which is one of the last scenes of the story) was not a warning of what lay ahead for Cooper, but rather what had gone wrong previous, and that he was "far away" from transitioning from the Black Lodge to the White.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
TwinsPeak
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinsPeak »

I recently returned as well. Something is in the air...

Great post Audrey Horne, but I find somethings in Twin Peaks scary. Like getting lost in those dark woods.
"Wanting something to be different will not make it so." "Explaining a different rule is not complaining for months. A lie will never be true." - Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Mordeen wrote:
boske wrote: Unrelated, so I do not forget, regarding the sound heard at the beginning, and as Laura disappears from Cooper's grip in episode 17 (I believe), I heard a very similar sound in an old 60's movie as I was flipping channels apparently coming from a field animal or an insect, but I never figured out what it was. That is another clue for sure. I do not think that sound was coming from a slot machine, or anything like that, but who knows.
Welcome back indeed. Coincidentally I just came back here a few days ago feeling strangely compelled to see what had come of things in here.

It is the sound of Laura opening her diary in FWWM.

The Fireman refers Cooper to the diary using that trigger in order to remind him of the passage Laura wrote after seeing Annie in her dream that specifically states that he is in the Lodge and can't get out. That opening scene in Part 1 (which is one of the last scenes of the story) was not a warning of what lay ahead for Cooper, but rather what had gone wrong previous, and that he was "far away" from transitioning from the Black Lodge to the White.

- Mordeen
Thank you Mordeen. Well, of all things, I just realized I had posted on the very date the FWWM Philly scene takes place, that was not intentional, it looks like I just crept myself out. :shock:

If Season 3 is indeed a Cooper's dream, what we have also seen is that Audrey clearly dreamed the same dream since she woke up from it, and she did so with her mirror (psyche) intact. If there ever is a Season 4, maybe that would account for something. If so, Richard Horne was never "real", and that is perhaps when she wakes up from that coma she suffered in the explosion in the bank vault.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Look at the women Cooper came to know, and how almost none of them matured over the 25 years. Most got worse actually. Then contrast that against Cooper's driving force to be a savior to women in general. The Black Lodge was tainting his dream and making it look like Laura was the only one he could save. And tyen he failed because she couldn't be saved. Audrey was just a figment of that dream.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ahhh but is it not possible for dreams of two sentient beings to intersect?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

The shared dream scenario is something that is being hinted at openly as Audrey wakes up from it to presumably the original reality. Does it mean that whoever else appears in the bar is also dreaming? Not necessarily, some people may be dreamt of. For example, James could be dreaming as he is active or performing, while the lady of his dreams is an object of his admiration, and not necessarily herself dreaming or even existing. Again, these are all speculations, but Audrey was in the bar and awoke, so that makes it a "cold, hard fact". Now that throws her scenes (about coming out) into a completely different light. Somebody did mention a while back in the disappointed thread a very interesting possibility (I still remember it), that Audrey and her husband play the role of a divided intellect where emotional and rational parts are in a sort of a stalemate, not being able to make a move, to come out, or more precisely to awaken from her/their dream.

About Cooper and the women around him, yes they do seem to suffer as it was him that is bringing bad luck to them. Cooper did not actively got Audrey in trouble with Renaults, she did it herself, but she was inspired by his goodness to act and try to help to impress him. Caroline and Annie are what matters here, and episode 29 dealt with that in an ingenious way that simply went under radar: in the lodge we see the first wound right about the time Caroline appears or is set to. It is a wound in the area of lower abdomen, in my opinion signifying a sin of lust. Cooper did have an adulterous affair with a wife of a colleague, let us not forget about that. And what else do we see as Cooper's shadow takes over in the bathroom? A head/crown bleeding wound that smashes the mirror into a myriad pieces (signifying a totally shattered personality) due to a intellectual sin of pride? The pride as in, for example, not admitting to have faults or of being afraid.