NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Gabriel »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Angelo is the only thing I'm actually interested in terms of S3 soundtrack.
I'm wondering whether we'll get an instrumental album and a song album separately this time...
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jacob wrote:Since the curtains seemed to be in CGI, I was suspecting the Black Lodge in season 3 of being a lot larger than what we saw before. Like a space that looks like it's never going to end.
But with the new picture, I understand that CGI are here less for a matter of depth than height -- and it's amazing. Still, maybe we're going to have both, with some kind of infinite corridor. :twisted:

It's true that if we're spending a lot of time in it (and it looks like, hearing Nevins, that it's gonna be the case), the same old same old "I'm walking in the corridor, then I'm in the room, then I'm walking in the corridor, then I'm in the room again" of episode 29 may have been a bit cheap and boring. I'm excited ! :D
Cheap and boring? I feel Lynch's use of the limited space on set for the Black Lodge to depict an infinitely transformative space through camera angles was sheer brilliance. And the sound stages they used in LA certainly aren't Pinewood Studios scale, so he's likely used that technique again.

Plus, visual effects will be in play for more than just making curtains look taller, trust me. We're going to see almost everything we're accustomed to in very new and different ways.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

LateReg wrote: Are the curtains CGI? Lynch is so hands on and tangible with everything that would surprise me.
It depends: they might well be regular curtains enhanced by CGI. The new show, especially since it's shot digitally, has the opportunity to enhance a lot of the visuals relatively cheaply.
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Mordeen wrote:
Jacob wrote:Since the curtains seemed to be in CGI, I was suspecting the Black Lodge in season 3 of being a lot larger than what we saw before. Like a space that looks like it's never going to end.
But with the new picture, I understand that CGI are here less for a matter of depth than height -- and it's amazing. Still, maybe we're going to have both, with some kind of infinite corridor. :twisted:

It's true that if we're spending a lot of time in it (and it looks like, hearing Nevins, that it's gonna be the case), the same old same old "I'm walking in the corridor, then I'm in the room, then I'm walking in the corridor, then I'm in the room again" of episode 29 may have been a bit cheap and boring. I'm excited ! :D
Cheap and boring? I feel Lynch's use of the limited space on set for the Black Lodge to depict an infinitely transformative space through camera angles was sheer brilliance. And the sound stages they used in LA certainly aren't Pinewood Studios scale, so he's likely used that technique again.

Plus, visual effects will be in play for more than just making curtains look taller, trust me. We're going to see almost everything we're accustomed to in very new and different ways.

-Mordeen
I didn't mean it was cheap and boring back then ! No way :)
I meant that, since we're probably going to spend a lot of time in the Black Lodge this season, if all the moves in it are like the ones from episode 29, it could quickly become "cheap and boring" ! :wink:

Edit: I'm curious about what you meant by "everything we're accustomed to" ! Is the coffee going to be frozen using CGI ? :lol: I'm laughing but I'm kind of serious : I'm guessing the passage of time and the reverse dialogues and movements are going to look very special today !
Last edited by Jacob on Wed May 10, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mordeen wrote:We're going to see almost everything we're accustomed to in very new and different ways.
That was the most exciting thing when FWWM was released. Seeing Black Lodge imagery like TLMFAP holding the ring as the camera swooped towards him, or the bigger, open spaces shot from above, such as when Laura and Leland are shouted at by the one armed man... it was exciting to see the 4:3, confined world of the TV show taken to the next level. Ironically, it's in returning to TV through a cable network that the new show can take the world of Twin Peaks and FWWM to yet another level.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Jacob wrote:
Mordeen wrote:

-Mordeen
I didn't mean it was cheap and boring back then ! No way :)
I meant that, since we're probably going to spend a lot of time in the Black Lodge this season, if all the moves in it are like the ones from episode 29, it could quickly become "cheap and boring" ! :wink:

Edit: I'm curious about what you meant by "everything we're accustomed to" ! Is the coffee going to be frozen using CGI ? :lol: I'm laughing but I'm kind of serious : I'm guessing the passage of time and the reverse dialogues and movements are going to look very special today !
Sorry dude, misunderstood you. My bad.

Red Room/Lodge stuff in The Return is gonna be FAR from cheap and boring. Like the comment about the expansion of the Red Room/Lodge in FWWM, The Return is gonna take it even further still.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

That picture of Cooper in the Black Lodge looks so incredibly lush. This thing is going to be gorgeous.

11 DAYS!!!!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm cool with CGI being used if it means something as cool as making the curtains look like they go on forever. It'll be a big step up from that f'in drawer pull nonsense!

I'm still vehemently against CGI Frank Silva, though. If that's the route they have gone down, so be it - I trust Lynch will have found a way to make it work. But I really, really hope not.
a whole damn town

Post by a whole damn town »

Snailhead wrote:I'm cool with CGI being used if it means something as cool as making the curtains look like they go on forever. It'll be a big step up from that f'in drawer pull nonsense!

I'm still vehemently against CGI Frank Silva, though. If that's the route they have gone down, so be it - I trust Lynch will have found a way to make it work. But I really, really hope not.
There's no way he'll use CGI doubles, but I bet there will be at least one instance of somebody's (or some bird's) face awkwardly superimposed over another person's face. It's basically tradition by now.
I'm not just three men on a fishing trip.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I love Lynch's minimalist surrealism, but I'm openminded about the use of CG -- whatever he wants to deploy to realize his vision. I just hope some fans, especially new fans, get that the Black Lodge has never been just a set of "cheap" red curtains.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I expect to see a de-aged Laura (similar to what Marvel's movies have done to Bob Downey and Mike Douglas in flashbacks, and Westworld did with Tony Hopkins) at least once. I'm super excited to see how Lynch utilizes an older Sheryl/Laura, but the character's frozen youth is such a powerful part of the TP mythos that I think that imagery will play some role, especially since the technology exists.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I expect to see a de-aged Laura (similar to what Marvel's movies have done to Bob Downey and Mike Douglas in flashbacks, and Westworld did with Tony Hopkins) at least once. I'm super excited to see how Lynch utilizes an older Sheryl/Laura, but the character's frozen youth is such a powerful part of the TP mythos that I think that imagery will play some role, especially since the technology exists.
CGI characters would probably cost more than a whole episode's budget.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Oh yeah, I will say that I would be totally open to an intentionally cheesy use of CGI if done à-la-Laura's face plastered on Donna's as seen in Episode 1. That one is so bad it's good.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

LateReg wrote:

Are the curtains CGI? Lynch is so hands on and tangible with everything that would surprise me.
Lynch is credited as doing special effects, so if it is CGI he is being hands on with it.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.