The pilot split up

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

The pilot split up

Post by eyeboogers »

In several countries in europe TV networks have started airing the show again. But with the pilot split into two parts :-(
I prefer to watch my golden box so i didn't watch long enough to see if there are any other edits, don't know if Lynch/Frost still has any say in these kinds of things.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Re: The pilot split up

Post by Christian1989 »

Last edited by Christian1989 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Also episode 8 (season 2 premiere) is splitted in two parts.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

I remember when I watched the series repeat in the mid-nineties on TVNorge in Norway they edited the series a little differently than mentioned above, so is this perhaps a new edit??

Back then, the first part of the piilot ended with Cooper and Truman in the morgue, with Truman asking "What the hell is going on here", and Cooper replying, "Sheriff, we got a lot to talk about". I think this was a more natural way to end the first part of the pilot, with the second part of the pilot starting with the Ed and Donna scene.

For the season 2 premiere, they edited it after Cooper and Truman's interrogation of Jacoby in the hospital, and the second part of that episode opening with Bobby's visit to Shelly in the hospital.

I am a bit surprised that TV stations are allowed to edit and cut and paste episodes like this, I thought that would be a violation of copywrited material, unless it's done with Lynch and Frost's consent.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

TV stations can do whatever they want with films and TV show. That's part and parcel of most shows they purchase. Down the years, I've seen countless shows cut from 50 minutes to 25, end titles hacked out, opening titles hacked out, episode orders inverted, censorship.

Sadly it's pretty normal. In the UK, ITV regions were awful for abusing US imports, hacking them about to fit in their schedules. The BBC weren't so bad, just occasionally making censorship cuts.

What does annoy me is what I call 'Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!' purchasing. ITV outbid the BBC for Chris Carter's Millennium, years back. It was an obvious show to go on BBC2 after The X Files (or in that slot when they moved The X Files to BBC1.) ITV had nowhere in their schedules to run an 18-rated import, so it got dumped in the post-11pm graveyard slot where it rotted and was dumped after a few episodes.

Channel 4 bought Joss Whedon's Angel, because the BBC had Buffy. They made no attempt to run it in such a way that it tied in with Buffy and since they were running Angel at 6pm, they had to cut it to shreds. some episodes lost as much as ten minutes of footage! Eventually they ran a late night less cut version, similar to what the BBC did with Buffy.

TV shows are always open to abuse, be it TV stations or the over-zealous BBFC for DVDs.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Thank you for the info, Gabriel. I had no idea TV stations did this.

Thank God for the DVDs then, maybe our only guaranteed way of enjoying TV shows the way they were originally intended.....
The next time you see me it won't be me...