new eps?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sloclub
RR Diner Member

new eps?

Post by sloclub »

I've heard rumors, dropped hints in interviews that I can't track down actually (how's that for a Lovecraftian beginning?) that Kyle Mac and Mark Frost are interested in making some direct to DVD further adventures of Dale Cooper! Has anyone else heard anything?

I've read conflicting comments from DL about it, too.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Just rumors; it won't happen.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Yeah, I'm afraid it's all just rumors. I'm sure both Kyle Maclachlan and Mark Frost would totally be down for doing some kind of continuation ( at the very least something else involving Dale Cooper if not an actual Twin Peaks continuation ) I know a British company actually tried to get a TP movie going a few years ago called With a Thousand Angels or something,but David Lynch probably wants nothing to do with it. He says that after Fire Walk With Me was cancelled, no one was interested in any more Twin Peaks, and while I believe that was true back in '92, in the suceeding years Peaks' quasi legendary cult status has grown and I think today would be a different story. I'm sure David Lynch would have a far easier time selling a Twin Peaks related project to a studio today over something along the lines of Inland Empire. But without DL, there's never gonna be anything Peaks related.

If anything ever happens with TP down the line, maybe it would be in 2014..."25 Years Later" It'll be here before ya know it....
Medard

Post by Medard »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:I know a British company actually tried to get a TP movie going a few years ago called With a Thousand Angels or something,but David Lynch probably wants nothing to do with it.
Does anyone have anymore info on this?
It sounds kinda strange for a British company to make a movie of someone else's property.

Also how or in what way was Fire Walk With Me canceld?
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Yeah, that was kind of a brain fart....I meant after the show was cancelled and Fire Walk With Me bombed.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I love DL, let's make no mistake about that, but since Mark Frost is co-creator why does a new TP or Dale Cooper project need DL? I would love for him to be involved, direct or produce, but if he isn't interested why not give his blessing for others, Mark Frost and Kyle McL to do it?

I want more TP that's for sure.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
cyrus

Post by cyrus »

someone ought to kidnap Lynch 'misery style' and force him to write material for a last movie to wrap it all up...
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I appreciate Mark Frost was just as instrumental in the creation of Twin Peaks as DL and that he doesn't get the credit he deserves but I have no interest whatsoever in Twin Peaks sans DL. Kyle MacLachlan's attitude towards Fire Walk With Me was disgraceful and after Showgirls, the Vodaphone adverts and Desperate Housewives it's unlikely he'd have the credibility to carry a Twin Peaks spin-off on his own.
Pierre Tremond

New Stories

Post by Pierre Tremond »

I consider myself, as I'm sure most of the people posting this board do, as a true Twin Peaks fan. I'm also a big David Lynch fan, but I think it's important to separate the two for a minute here.

What I mean by this, is that I love every episode, and while David Lynch was certainly the co-creator of the series, whose influence blanketed the entire run, there were certainly many other cooks involved. Mark Frost, Bob Engels, Harley Peyton, etc. They all had a hand in crafting the story arcs and shaping the Twin Peaks universe.

You can very much tell a David Lynch episode from other episodes in the series. And while, certainly they are more or less my favorite episodes of the show, I greatly enjoy the non-Lynch episodes, for their entirely different feel.

Point is, David Lynch is never going back into that town. My hope, someday, even if it's years from now, somebody tries to recreate the series. Same basic concept, murder of the young girl, FBI Agent investigates, etc, but have a different murderer, different threads that branch out, and so forth. This is totally a show concept that could catch on if done correctly and if it isn't meddled with.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Re: New Stories

Post by rocketsan22 »

Pierre Tremond wrote: My hope, someday, even if it's years from now, somebody tries to recreate the series. Same basic concept, murder of the young girl, FBI Agent investigates, etc, but have a different murderer, different threads that branch out, and so forth. This is totally a show concept that could catch on if done correctly and if it isn't meddled with.
Dude, you just described a half dozen shows that are on t.v. now! :)

With Lynch's blessing, I'd love to have Frost be given the opportunity to wrap this up, or take the ball again and run with it for another season or two... no remakes...it's already been one to near perfection...save for James, Donna, and Maddy singing "Just You And I."
Pierre Tremond

Post by Pierre Tremond »

I love Twin Peaks, but there were problems with the show. Joan Chen, Lara Flynn Boyle, James Marshall, Heather Graham specifically should not be putting anything from this series on their reel, so I would definitely get better casting, and there were definitely some clunky plotlines in Season 2 that I will be fastforwarding through. I have a friend that I am going to show Season 2 to, and I will literally skip through the Evelyn Marsh saga and explain it simply as "Trust me, you don't care about this, it's not important and doesn't figure into the main plot of the series in anyway other than, to say, James isn't in Twin Peaks."

I'm saying imagine a focused Twin Peaks being handled by solid, creative producers that are being supported by a network that won't meddle. I'd say HBO, except that HBO cancelled Carnivale before it could finish telling it's story, I wouldn't be able to handle that again.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Lots of beloved shows get 2nd and 3rd and 4th (Doctor Who, Star Trek) runs, or chances if you will, without their original creators so why not TP? I would love DL to go back to TP but if he doesn't I don't see how it would or should keep anyone else from going back again.

As for half the shows on TV being like TP? That was true a number of years ago. But mostly what we have now is Top Model Survivor Bootcamp style "reality" series (yeah, right, that's real) and either CSI or Law and Order knock offs. Yes, my friends it's time for more Peaks, enough of the Valleys.

As for Kyle McL's attitude, I agree that I would have wanted him to behave differently but face it, without his case of @$$ we wouldn't have Chris Isaak's fine performance as Cooper and don't tell me Chester Desmond wasn't Dale Cooper because I know he was. And I'm cool with it. Plus lots of performers grow tired of the roles that they are best known for. But after being away from the role they start to remember it more fondly and also to remember what it was that brought them to the role in the first place. It happened recently with X-Files which is why those fans get another movie. Why not us?

As for FWWM bombing, what is success? What film that came out in 1992 that made more money is as recognizable as FWWM today? What '92 film that was a "hit" has websites full of rabid fans swooning over it? Or fans clamoring, as much as we clamor, for a remake? Or a sequel because we love it so much. Why not us? Why not TP?
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.