Things I wish we'd seen...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

charles
RR Diner Member

Things I wish we'd seen...

Post by charles »

As most of us probably do (especially Audrey Horne on the board -amazing work!), I sometimes find myself walking along and suddenly I'm thinking and dreaming of Twin Peaks. Occasionally my thoughts drift to scenes that were not filmed and I like to fill in the blanks. Here are a few things that I wonder about and wish I'd seen on the show... What are some of the things that you wish you'd seen on the show?

1. Audrey's bedroom
2. Did Maddy sleep in Laura's old bedroom? It would have been neat to see a scene of her in there.
3. Sarah going through Laura's clothes and things.
4. More Harriet Hayward
5. More Palmer kitchen
6. Scenes in the woods
7. Ronette at home
8. A scene with Shelly's parents (even just on the phone)
9. More scenes in the General Store
10. Harry's house

More to come as I think of them...
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Re: Things I wish we'd seen...

Post by coolspringsj »

More Gersten and Harriet. Never understood how Donna had 2 younger sisters who were literally never home. Plus they were talented and funny.

Scenes in the woods. Agree 100%. Even it was just characters like Major Briggs and Cooper taking a walk in the woods discussing the case and things beyond this world would have been fabulous.

Although it may have diluted the power of it, I always was craving more Red Room scenes.

More One Armed Man. Have him stay around all the way to the end of Season 2 instead of disappearing at a random time.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

coolspringsj wrote:More Gersten and Harriet. Never understood how Donna had 2 younger sisters who were literally never home. Plus they were talented and funny.
definitely.
the younger one was so cool.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

More scenes of Major Briggs talking to ANYONE. Don Davis delivered his lines with such earnestness it made me appreciate how noble and thankful his character was towards his fellow townsfolk.

Give names and lines to the other deputies that appear onscreen.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

indeed, i, too, would be interested in seeing more of the above.
as well, it'd be interesting to see more of the tenants in the little groundfloor apartments where Harold lived. i found that complex facinating and wouldn't mind living there myself! i was glad, however to see the interiors of 2 of the apartments as well as the interiors of some of the mobile homes shown in the park [forget its name] in FWWM. i also loved the interior of Jaques' apt.
done bun; can't be undone
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

ahahaha -thanks, charles. yeah, don't know what to add here. I've kind of exhausted all my deepest Twin Peaks ideas- BUT even in that thread I found myself speculating more on things based on what production would do than what I as a fan would love to see.

Audrey's bedroom? -Hmmm, okay. But it would have to reveal something more about her character (the early character naturally) -I think it should have been like a safe haven, and something we wouldn't expect. Nothing girly -maybe a lot of books?

Maddy in Laura's bed? Hell yeah! Sure, Laura's bedroom was probably just built/used for the pilot and there wasn't a set in CA, but it could have been a nice running series of scenes. The first being her nestling into sleep -we're not sure if she's comfortable or not -is she Laura at home, or the stranger in a ghost's bed. Could have been fascinating. And while the series progressed, an occasional shot of her waking up- after Maddy's death, we'd look back at those scenes as a horrific foreshadowing.

Sarah going through her belongings -of course, beautiful. And could even happen much later in the series -simple, short scene that means nothing and everything at the same time. Showing even after mysteries are potentially solved, the bodies buried, no one is ever the same again. The pain always remains.

More Harriet Hayward? Ohhhh, yeah. She was probably my favorite character in the pilot. Would never want a lot of her because she would lose her power -but I like the idea of her always popping in and commenting on the situations with a different perspective -above and removed from the soap opera. She rules.

More Palmer kitchen? Again, it was a pilot location -so probably wouldn't be built unless it was needed for the plot. I'm fine with not seeing it again because the scene where it was used is powerful enough. Now, the Briggs' kitchen was pretty hip looking!

Scenes in the woods? Hell yeah! And used in every possible way. That's what the show was about -metaphor for the mystery of life. Symbolism of man versus nature -or machine versus nature. Some people can have their Owl Cave -I think that belongs in Scooby Doo. I'll take the woods. Just the imagery of Cooper and Crew traveling to jacques cabin and the Log lady is enough to sell me that they needed to be revisited.

Roneet at home? Any kind of cap with Ronette post coma should have been inserted. Not overly explained but inserted. SHe's the Laura that lived, and after what she went through, that might not be a good thing.

Shelly's parents? Hmmmm, I don't know. But it would be cool to have something eluded to. What I like about Donna, Shelly and Audrey as a trio are they represent the cross section of America's children -the middle, lower and upper class. And maybe it's a cliche, but I liked the idea of Shelly from a broken home -neglected, latchkey kid -and besides Norma is her surrogate mother. (In my geeky, overly obsessive reworking, I had her confide to Betty that she never knew her father -it's all about father issues on this show- and she was raised by her aunt who moved to Florida)

The General Store? Yes, yes, yes! One of my favorite scenes is the tense one between Norma and Nadine. Simple but efficient. The show worked best when it was about "simple" town life, and yet masked deep sadness, tension etc. Mundane routines in normal live was fasinating to watch, and the Norman Rockwell feel to a general store added so much to this.

Harry's house? We got the scene where Josie comes back, but I agree. Just a glimmer into Harry's private life -his cabin up in the woods.

Thanks for jumpstarting my brain again. God, I love this show.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

'Mundane routines in normal live was fasinating to watch, and the Norman Rockwell feel to a general store added so much to this. '

i couldn't agree more.
done bun; can't be undone
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

More Harold Smith. Possibly interaction between him and the Tremonds at his apartment. Could be super creepy and tie in to the main TP mystery. I'm sure very strange and cryptic things would be said.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

flashbacks of bob and leland from his childhood, maybe they could have added clues in the second season.

the three days after leland passed! surely the town must have been blown away by the news. reactions from everyone (ben horne included) would have been powerful. big opportunity missed there.

shelly and/or leo's parents.

sarah palmer's life after leland passed. seriously, any storyline regarding that would have been better than most during the drag of ep. 19-22.

whatever it was sylvia horne was up to between episode 2 and 29

flashbacks of windom earle and cooper's past

james's mom

many many others i cant think of right now.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

- Meet Mike's friend, Bob Lydecker.
- More use of Sheryl Lee as much as possible, (the supposed redhead in season three)? It's often a weary internalized argument whether her or Fenn was the best actress the show (and hence, movie) had.
- More with Sylvia and Johnny Horne. Or at least a reasonable explanation for their prolonged abscences given their prominence early in season one.
- More of Dr. Jacoby, and his wife. Always love how Jacoby is brought in for advice, no matter how ridiculous the situation - or how ridiculous his methods are. And yet, despite this he sometimes had real moments of dramatic power expertly played by Russ Tamblyn - such as with Bobby or at Laura's grave.
- Background on Shelley and how she came to marry Leo. Amick is one of the most severely underrated preformers on the show.
- Cooper and Audrey's flirtatious interaction. Even with Annie and Wheeler in the plot, (both could have been used as just complications in the Cooper\Audrey dynamic), there is no way this should have been dropped.
- Pete and Audrey night-fishing.
- More Bookhouse Boys, particularly Joey Paulson and James' biker gang. (Which would have vastly improved James' character in my opinion).
- More of the younger Hayward sisters.
- More Log Lady appearances in the main plot.
- Ronette trying to adjust to a normal life after awakening. I'd imagine she'd be something of a social pariah and of a distant curiosity to many.
- More of Cooper interacting with the dwarf and Giant to deduce various mysteries.
- Reactions of the main cast members to Leland's death and revelation he killed Laura. Particularly those associated with her, such as Sarah's immediate reaction, Ben, Bobby, Donna, James, and Jacoby.
- Cooper and Windom actually confront each other or in some way interact in the real world before the finale. I still think Windom was poorly done but given the abstract nature of the finale, and the sheer, ridiculous build-up Windom got, there should have been anything. (The excellent season two re-write thread had Windom give Cooper taunting phone calls).
- Some sort of economic fallout in the town from the Mill closing. Tie it into the whole fight over Ghostwood.
- Cooper trying to make a home for himself in Dead Dog Farm. Cue wonderfully cheesy montage of repairing the house with Truman and the guys.
- Bobby been exposed as a drug dealer and one-time murderer. (The latter not only carrying over from FWWM, but the pilot)! Bobby gets off too easy more and more through the show between setting up Leo and trying to extort Ben, it would have been interesting seeing some fallout between his parents and Shelly. (Shelly never realised Bobby dealt drugs for Leo).
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

what did leo do with bernard renault's body? kinda crazy that this is barely even mentioned again. i noticed that ben horne casually flicks a cigar wrapper with his fresh finger prints on them near the body which seemed pretty idiotic. jacques also does not seem too upset that leo knocks off his brother.

and deputy cliff's body is never found either? it is sloppily buried by a couple of nutjob teenagers, and furthermore leo and jacques dont seem too upset that BOBBY AND LAURA killed their drug mule! these story holes are incredible.
thewoodstove

Post by thewoodstove »

I know there's some uncertainty regarding whether or not the Black Lodge and the White Lodge are in the same place/space, but I would have liked to have seen the White Lodge and its inhabitants, or at least more aspects of the White Lodge.

I always imagined the Lady in the Radiator would be there. :wink:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

thewoodstove wrote:I know there's some uncertainty regarding whether or not the Black Lodge and the White Lodge are in the same place/space, but I would have liked to have seen the White Lodge and its inhabitants, or at least more aspects of the White Lodge.

I always imagined the Lady in the Radiator would be there. :wink:

Great idea, thewoodstove! I totally agree, especially with the Lady in the Radiator!! :cool:
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I wish we could have seen more actual Washington state location work throughout the series. I think the characters operating within the real-life scenery is so evocative and effective in the pilot and Fire Walk With Me that it's frustrating to me that so much of the actual series is studio-bound, re-using the same stock footage over & over, or worst of all, shooting in Southern California settings that don't look anything remotely like a small Washington mountain town in mid-to-late wintertime.

I also wish that the high school had been used more. I actually liked the teenage characters at the time (since they were my age, but felt so much cooler), but by Season 2 it's like they forgot that the kids were even in school. Bobby and Audrey working full-time at the Great Northern, etc. And also, definitely more of Donna's sisters, who always seemed to have better things to do than to have dinner with their parents, and Sylvia and Johnny Horne. The first time I watched the series, when Sylvia comes back for that one scene in the finale, I had completely forgotten that Ben even had a wife at all!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i would love to have seen leland/bob cleaning up the living room after james did the arm rake of the photos and lamp in episode 10. he must have been pissed bold move james, bold move. :lol: