Least favorite episode

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: Least favorite episode

Post by Brad D »

thewoodstove wrote:I have to agree with the Evelyn Marsh sentiments.

Also, anybody else notice she has something wonky going on with one of her front teeth in some shots? It always bugs me.
may have been a dead tooth, but yeah, grill was busted. the actress who played her looks much better now, but i guess you can only go up from that hairstyle....(wish she had finished jerry's interview too...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Circle_of_Trees wrote:...ep 22...I remember it aired in the U.S. after the longest hiatus
There was no hiatus between episode 21 and 22

Episode 20 - 1/19/91

Episode 21 - 2/2/91
Episode 22 - 2/9/91
Episode 23 - 2/16/91

Episode 24 - 3/28/91
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
LatelyDavidBass

Post by LatelyDavidBass »

To me, the "drifting episodes" end when Josie dies and we see Bob for the first time since Leland's death. It's like our show came back to us. But, alas, it was too little too late.

I honestly don't know that Peaks could have sustained a large audience for several seasons. It's easy to point out that the show's writing suffered a bit after the Laura murder was resolved, but folks were tuning out by the time the second season rolled around. These things could be blamed for ABC's lack of commitment, but let's all be real here: David Lynch is not a mainstream kind of guy. His appeal doesn't usually reach the average Joe.

Then again, some of the best shows are the ones that are cancelled early anyway. It's probably best that we are left to wonder what happened after episode 29.

TB
"Where's that hammer you keep talking about?"
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

It's all relative to expectations, so my least fav based on how good I thought it'd be is ep 8, the first ep of the second season. The buildup from ep 7 was so high combined with the feeling right away that things were slipping in season 2 was a major letdown.

The old guy continually giving Coop the thumbs up for 10 minutes during the opening sequence was annoying and it seemed like the scenes in the ep used less music, which I felt was the ultimate mood mover in the first season.

DISCLAIMER: There were far worse eps than ep 8 but the later eps had far diminished expectations to go with them
Magica

Post by Magica »

I see that Episode 22 is getting bashed big-time here but I have to say that the episode that preceeded it is equally terrible.

I believe it's been mentioned in a couple of other threads that Twin Peaks is currently being re-aired in Norway on Friday nights and this Friday it was Episode 21's turn. I ended up sitting down to watch it and it was not a very enjoyable experience.

I looked as if the streak of bad episodes was about to pick up at the end up Episode 20, which concluded with two memorable cliffhangers: the discovery of the dead man with his finger pointing at the chess board, and Leo finally waking up again. Unfortunately, this was not followed up very well. The entire sequence of Leo attacking Shelly is very poorly made and devoid of any suspense. It plays like something out of a no-budget slasher film and the "goodbye, wife" comment made me cringe.

It doesn't exactly get any better. The Evelyn storyline is still at large, of course, and it's as bland and boring as ever. I can't believe how badly conceived this whole plot is. It's soooo predictable. I mean, come on! Was there anyone who was actually surprised at the revelation that Evelyn and her "brother" had set James up? For what it's worth, though, I don't think Annette McCarthy does too badly as an actress here. I find her performance to be pretty capable; particularly since the script she had to work with was so poor.

Another infamous storyline - that of Little Nicky - reaches its conclusion in this episode and Nicky himself is actually nowhere to be seen. While I'm not a big fan of this storyline, I don't mind it as much as some of the others on this board seem to do. It does, if nothing else, give Dick and Andy some oportunity to goof around a little. My main gripe with this plot is that it's completely pointless, as we learn in this episode that Dick and Andy's suspicions are groundless. Doc Hayward's tear-jerker speech about Little Nicky's tragic past is pretty embarrassing, and I find it absolutely hilarious that after this, Nicky is never heard from again! Dick and Andy simply stop hanging out with him after they've found out about his tragic past, and Lucy doesn't bring him up again either. The poor child gets abandoned again! So what was the point of this storyline?

This episode also contains one out of two TP storylines that IMO are actually far more insufferable than the Nicky and Evelyn stories combined: Ben's civil war lunacy (the other one is the Audray/John Justice Wheeler romance). Oh my God, what a giant bore!!! I'm sure that for Richard Beymer it was exciting to do something different with the character but it's NOT exciting to watch. I almost die a little inside when I have to see this kind of inept crap being part of my favorite show.

And the less said about Lana and the trigger-happy Mayor Milford, the better. It's just inexcusably AWFUL! It's obvious that the writers were trying to create a typical Cooper-moment when he and the others stand outside the room and smilingly says that "now we wait" but, sadly, the writers have no clue as to what it takes make those Cooper-moments work. On the whole, this was a bad episode for Coop. The scene where he talks about Caroline didn't work very well, either, with that cheesy superimposed image of her as he talks about her. In all fairness, though, similarly bad superimposed images have been part of the series since way back in the early episodes too.

Pretty much the only thing I liked about Episode 21 was the end where Leo comes face to face with Windom Earle. But everything else was really terrible. It's sad to see that the quality had sunk so low. I wish that the Palmer plot had continued past Episode 16. Even if the killer was revealed in Episode 14, the storyline could have continued longer with the audience (but not Cooper & co) knowing the killer's identity, and then this plot could have reached its conclusion just as Windom Earle makes his entrance. Oh well... no point in dreaming about this now...
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Episode 28 for me. This is much worse than the crapfest that is episodes 19, 21, 22 and 24 because Miss Twin Peaks, the love scene and the reveal to Harry about Josie's death are important scenes. Instead, Hunter botches nearly every scene, playing up the stupidity and playing down the good scenes (though, to his credit, the script is terrible too). As this episode is the setup for the last-ever episode (which turned out great), and after a string of good episodes - I don't care if you hate Annie and Jack, 25-27 did revitalise the show from the horrid mess it had become - the choice is simple.

I could quote the Dick Tremayne/Lana Milford broom closet scene here to make my point, but you probably get it by now. :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I don't know about my least favorite episode, since all of the episodes had things I liked and disliked (the things I disliked increased after Leland dies, of course).

There is this isolated scene, I don't remember exactly in which episode it was, that in my opinion beats Little Nicky, Evelyn Marsh, Ben's Civil War, Nadine's super strenght, and all of the second season nonsense that usually bothers most of the fans.
The scene where Cooper, Gordon and Harry appear at the Double R, Gordon fells in love with Shelly and to the fact that he can hear her perfectly and Cooper tries to tell Annie jokes.

HARRY - Coop, you just tried to tell her a joke.

COOPER - I did??

Are you kidding?
The whole scene was just so stupid and embarassing in my opinion. I know it's supposed to be funny and cute, but it just doesn't bring that to me. I can say with all of my heart that is my less favorite scene in the entire series.
What kills me the most is that David Lynch was there the entire time, so maybe he thought that was an ok scene for the show, and in my opinion, that scene is anything but ok. It's silly and stupid.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

I can't think of any episode I dislike... I can't even think of my favorite.

I never cared for James leaving Twin Peaks... Sleeping with an unattractive woman when you have Donna Hayward is kinda dumb.