Least favorite episode

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LatelyDavidBass

Least favorite episode

Post by LatelyDavidBass »

Okay, I'm in the midst of one of my favorite "Peaksfests" as this is the first time in years that I can remember watching them all by myself. The last several times I've watched the series was with others (most had never seen the show).

So, I'm hunkered down in the much maligned second season. I know lots have been said about it, particularly "flannel Cooper". I don't mind the Little Nicky stuff. The Dead Dog Farm/Jean Renault plot is okay, I enjoy "Civil War Ben", "Super Nadine" is okay, and I hate the entire Evelyn Marsh. All in all, I can stomach these weaker storylines, with the exception of Evelyn. I wish James would have just left Twin Peaks and a camera would not have followed him. From what I've been reading here, I think most would agree. I think the show comes back to form when Josie dies and we see Bob for the first time since Leland dies. I like all the Windom Earle stuff and everything that comes after. I'm rambling, but I just wanted all of you to know where I stand.

However, the one directed by Diane Keaton is the worst episode of TP ever. I had to make myself watch this episode and I am reminded of how low the show had sunk. This episode is terrible on so many levels. I don't know if Diane Keaton was trying too hard or just had know clue what she was doing. I can't fully blame the lame plots and overall daftness of season two for this bad episode, I only blame Keaton. What's with all the slow motion shots of Evelyn? What's with that hokey waiter that keeps asking Miss Hayward if she needs anything? It's like Diane Keaton wanted to be David Lynch so much that she totally missed what made Lynch's work so distinctive.

Sorry to rant here, but I vote this the absolute worst episode of TP ever. What's your least favorite episode?

TB
"Where's that hammer you keep talking about?"
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Re: Least favorite episode

Post by coolspringsj »

I haven't watched the show since last summer, but my gut instinct tells me to go with Episode 18, the infamous one that introduced the world to Evelyn and Little Nicky.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Episode 14.
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

The giant wrote:Episode 14.
The episode where Maddy gets killed? You're joking right?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

phew, they sure didnt waste time trying to kill the show once leland passes. i mean...his funeral after party is busted up by super nadine and the milford brothers. cant remember who wrote that one, but they started a terrible run of episodes. just by sticking to the main cast and not bothering with evelyn, nicky or the other add-ons would have saved us all some pain.

...and episode 14 comes in only behind the finale for my absolute favorites..
LatelyDavidBass

Post by LatelyDavidBass »

All of the Lynch episodes are among my favorites, particularly 14 and 29. I'm still moved by the Giant telling Coop that "I'm so sorry..." Between the music and the way its shot, it just moves me.

TB
"Where's that hammer you keep talking about?"
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

The i'm so sorry scene is one of the best scenes of any tv show i've ever seen! Its excellent, you know i dont mind the whole little nicky thing, its silly but its not exactly time consuming, the stuf that grates for me is the civil war crap! So cheesy, really cant stand it, i dont believe someone would enact out a mental battle with their sanity by having the south win, and the moment they do be all fine and healthy! Silly.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Yes the episode in which Leland kills Maddy. The reason is because I wanted the killer to be unknown.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

The giant wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
Yes the episode in which Leland kills Maddy. The reason is because I wanted the killer to be unknown.
I must have bad taste because that is my favorite episode of the series.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Lots of people like episode 14, I'm just one of the few that doesn't.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

'I hate the entire Evelyn Marsh'

oh, God, me too. i never cared for, nor understood the inclusion of that particulat story line.

having said that, i did very much enjoy the other peripheral characters and their stories.
done bun; can't be undone
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

future TP releases should have the option of editing out all evelyn scenes. would make my life much more painless.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm gonna say episode 17 I guess.
Attachments
FinderScreenSnapz090.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz090.jpg (134.37 KiB) Viewed 13602 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
garland

Post by garland »

I am with the anti-Evelyn Marsh sentiments. Of all the storylines, that is the one I just find a completely uninteresting. Little Nicky and superstrong Nadine have grown on me as time goes on.

One other area that never quite did it for me was Harry and Josie. Their relationship just never seemed convincing to me!
LatelyDavidBass wrote: However, the one directed by Diane Keaton is the worst episode of TP ever.
I always kind of liked that one! (Despite that it is deep in Evelyn Marsh territory)
thewoodstove

Post by thewoodstove »

I have to agree with the Evelyn Marsh sentiments.

Also, anybody else notice she has something wonky going on with one of her front teeth in some shots? It always bugs me.