If Lynch died?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

greg4881

If Lynch died?

Post by greg4881 »

I'm not saying I would want him to die, but let's say he did. What would happen to his Twin Peaks rights? Would Mark Frost have complete ownership, and be able to do any Twin Peaks continuation he wants?
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Re: If Lynch died?

Post by Mikeindustry »

Do either of them even own it? Isn't it owned by like... CBS now?

So, the answer is: Lynch will never die.
greg4881

Post by greg4881 »

No, CBS has the right to the series that ran from 90-91. Lynch and Frost own all intellectual property created from the show. In order for anything Peaks to continue, it has to be approved by Lynch and Frost. If one says no, then nothing happens. Mind you Lynch and Frost had good lawyers because most writers/directors don't have this much power over their work.
greg4881

Post by greg4881 »

To put it simpler Frost and Lynch could go do season 3/ a movie of Twin Peaks and CBS doesn't have any power over that. If CBS tried to create a new twin peaks feature, Lynch and Frost could sue the network into bankruptcy.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I've always felt that Lynch's co-ownership of Twin Peaks with Frost is what's kept any new Twin Peaks material from happening. I mean, it seems in every interview that Lynch gives about TP, he says something like "I dream about it" or "I think about that place and those characters often" only to finish with "But it will never happen" The only reason it will never happen is because he has to go through Mark Frost to make anything happen, and it would seem he would rather let it stay dead than have to share producing credits or money with Mark Frost over Peaks. But who knows...maybe we'll get a surprize "25 years later"??

Yeah, I doubt it too....:/
LatelyDavidBass

Post by LatelyDavidBass »

I doubt that it has anything to do with the collaboration of Mark Frost. I think Lynch gives alot of credit to TP's success to Frost. When Amick (in the Slice of Lynch feature on the gold box) tells/sucks up to Lynch, she metions the success of the show to his beautiful work. Lynch then stops her and immediately gives credit to Frost for some of the creative element of the show. Episode 7 (the season finale) owes everything to Frost.

I think Lynch's relunctance to go back to TP is simply the pain he endured with the subsequent cancellation the creative direction of the show. Then he followed that with the failure of On The Air, Hotel Room, and FWWM. Lynch fans adore FWWM and history has been kind to it, but let's remember this: It was a bomb upon its release. It got booed at Cannes. I think it was painful for Lynch to endure that kind of failure.

Another thing to take into consideration is the wave of success Lynch was riding going into 91-92. He went from Blue Velvet to TP to Wild At Heart. All of these things were huge successes for him. He was on the cover of Time! He went from the being Hollywood's golden boy to its whipping boy.

I know that Lynch is a confident man and these things are all relative, but I can't but think that after the critical and box office failure of FWWM, that it left a bad taste in Lynch's mouth for all things TP. I also don't think it was a coincidence that it was five years before he returned with Lost Highway.

I doubt that we'll ever see anything more from TP as far as Lynch is concerned based on these reasons. I think he liked the characters and the world itself, but it's all in the past for him.

TB
"Where's that hammer you keep talking about?"
greg4881

Post by greg4881 »

All of these are really good posts, especially the one of how Lynch has bad memories at the end of Twin Peaks. But my question still remains what happens to his rights if he dies?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I imagine he would have some sort of "estate" that would oversee all of the rights to his intellectual property, no? Perhaps overseen either by Jennifer or if he has a widow? It's up to him, I suppose, but that's what I imagine would happen...
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

It seems to me if Lynch died, Frost would have control. Has Frost ever suggested he wants to resurrect TP? If not, it's moot. If Frost would want to resurrect it, does anyone think the new series would be any good, with no Lynch and a different cast?

I think the biggest issue with bringing back the series (aside from a new cast I wouldnt care about) is not Lynch's resistance to doing it but his lack of interest in doing it. The man had a cultural phenomenon on his hands, and although he was a big screen guy who lacked the attention span to grind out 24 eps a season for TV, it astounds me how quickly he left to do other things.

In watching interviews, Frost suggests both he and Lynch were off doing other projects pretty early into Season 2. The way the directors of the show describe the mood on the set as tired and worn down, you'd think the series was knocking on Season 6.

I'll never understand why something as rare as a cultural phenomenon would be so undervalued by its creators to be abandoned so suddenly so early on in its run.

To sum up my drivel: There's no pt in revisiting TP unless both Lynch and Frost ride on the same bus and work together, so we don't need Lynch to die - we need him to live.

I don't know much about Lynch, but from the little I've seen of him, he strikes me as being a genius, and geniuses are cars that run on a different type of gas. It wouldn't surprise me if Lynch woke up one random day, ate a bagel that tasted funny and just like that decided to bring TP back for no other reason other than he ate stale bread that day.
greg4881

Post by greg4881 »

I totally agree with you. It's quite unique how fast the show flamed out. Btw Mark Frost has stated on many occasions about working on Peaks again. He also helped some guy with the plot of season 3 so this guy could make a graphic novel, but when it was finished Lynch vetoed and said no.
greg4881

Post by greg4881 »

NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

greg4881 wrote:I totally agree with you. It's quite unique how fast the show flamed out. Btw Mark Frost has stated on many occasions about working on Peaks again. He also helped some guy with the plot of season 3 so this guy could make a graphic novel, but when it was finished Lynch vetoed and said no.
Interesting
LatelyDavidBass

Post by LatelyDavidBass »

I don't think it was finished. I think it was suggested and the guy did the artwork and was going to work with Robert Engels. Mark Frost gave the okay, but had a feeling that Lynch would decline. And he did. I don;t think this graphic novel got anywhere beyond some initial artwork.

TB
"Where's that hammer you keep talking about?"