What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

Post by dugpa »

jordan.jpg
jordan.jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 17174 times
Reading some of the complaints on Jeffry Marsh's Jordan jumpsuit, I was curious what scenes or specific items in a scene take you out of the moment while watching Twin Peaks or even make you cringe. For me, most of it is timeless regardless of the technology or costumes but there are a few.

For instance, in another thread, it was mentioned that Windom Earle using publicity shots of the cast in his Cards was pretty lame. What other scenes had the same effect?

I think that the Little Nicky thought bubble is probably one of the biggest for me next to pretty much the whole James/Evelyn storyline. Curious to see what others there may be.
lilnickybubble.jpg
lilnickybubble.jpg (24.03 KiB) Viewed 17174 times
Screencaps welcome.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Re: What Scenes take you out of the TV Series?

Post by The giant »

I was never was fond of scenes with Josie and Truman. so I guess i would take out a few of those scenes.
Last edited by The giant on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Re: What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

I second everything you said and would probably add 60% of the things that happen between episodes 18 and 24. I just could not get involved in the show during those episodes. Pretty much all of the Lana Milford, Nadine, and Little Nicky scenes took me out of it and let's no even get started on Evelyn. Out of the good episodes, the toe sucking and James' falsetto made me cringe (in a bad way). All the other cringe-worthy moments (Leland bleeding on Laura's picture comes to mind) in that period were good.
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

Scenes that MUST GO (all in Season 2):

My criterion for MUST GO scenes is... I had to fast forward thru them.

1)All scenes with Nadine in them - the supernatural strength and high school-speak were nauseating
2)All scenes with Tremayne (sp?) - this character acted weird just to be weird, had no substance, added no value

(The above 2 storylines are the worst in the history of television)

3)All scenes with Catherine impersonating an Asian man - seems to almost spoof the show
4)All scenes with Leo drooling (I call them them the "Gratuitous Drool Scenes")

There were others but these are the first that come to mind.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Not too many really. What can I say? I loved Twin Peaks! I'm not going to spend as much time as I do on a Twin Peaks discussion board nitpicking the show to death. I do not think there are any storylines in Twin Peaks that are the worst in television history. Season one was absolutely fantastic, It floored me the first time I watched it. Yes, season two had problems for around five episodes after Leland dies, however, the final filming block of six episodes are very strong and rival or surpass the early season two episodes.

When you fall in love with somebody or something, you often find it easy to dismiss their inconsistencies or shortcoming's.

Season one blew me away, however, during season two, I fell in love with Twin Peaks.

As far as 'out of the moment' scenes, yes, I was disappointed to see Mr Marsh's Nike Track Suit. Especially as they had gone to such great lengths to present a timeless feel to the show in regards to the clothes. I'm still not sure if it was the 50's innocent look, 70's logger chic or 80's power track suit (think Ben Horne) they were going after...

Time to admit it. The Andy thought bubble - did not mind it all. As a matter of fact, I laugh every time I see it. Although I'm not really sure why I laugh. It really comes out of the blue eh? A truly WTF moment.

To me the biggest plot mistake was the Marsh storyline. It sucked. I'm over it, but I still don't fast forward through it.

So...
Attachments
FinderScreenSnapz020.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz020.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 17079 times
FinderScreenSnapz084.jpg
FinderScreenSnapz084.jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 17078 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

TP increasingly became an SNL skit of itself throughout season 2, all the way to the end. I'll leave it at that.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Yes, season two had problems for around five episodes after Leland dies, however, the final filming block of six episodes are very strong and rival or surpass the early season two episodes.
That's exactly how I feel about it.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

the milford brothers fighting at leland's funeral reception is maybe the most distasteful moment of the series. the show was relatively flawless (and fantastic) until this moment and set the pace for some very terrible storylines. i feel like i beat this like a dead horse, but if just only they could have stuck to the main cast in episodes 17-22... :twisted:

imagine...a world without evelyn, nicky, and the milfords..

why couldnt coop have had more dreams about BOB? or even sarah? leo could have even woken up earlier and played a bigger part in the show. ack. the whole mystery of who shot cooper was completely squandered as well. its basically forgotten aside from a couple of "how ya doin coops?" after ten minutes. could also have been used to delay the unmasking of the killer! end ramble.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

no need for me to elaborate on the marsh debacle... these images pretty much sum up the scenes/themes/visuals that took me (way) out of the twin peaks moment:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

charles wrote:no need for me to elaborate on the marsh debacle... these images pretty much sum up the scenes/themes/visuals that took me (way) out of the twin peaks moment:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Well said.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

NoiselessFan wrote:
charles wrote:no need for me to elaborate on the marsh debacle... these images pretty much sum up the scenes/themes/visuals that took me (way) out of the twin peaks moment:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Well said.
I agree completely.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Great selection, Charles. (Though I've found the Lana bit funnier on re-watch). To be different though... what about Donna in glasses trying to be seductive to James "through the bars" in the second season premiere? :roll: That scene seems to go on forever, I liked Lara Flynn Boyle in the first season... but Donna and where the character is supposed to be going at this point just looses me. And I've always felt the Catherine and Jones meeting is barely half as menacing as it should be, sounds odd but that scene just really takes me out of it - you're just bored stupid with the Josie sub-plot at that point. The ins and outs of Josie's story took a few viewings to fully get, a great actor like Dan O' Herily seemed mostly wasted if you ask me.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Brad D wrote:leo could have even woken up earlier and played a bigger part in the show. ack. the whole mystery of who shot cooper was completely squandered as well. its basically forgotten aside from a couple of "how ya doin coops?" after ten minutes. could also have been used to delay the unmasking of the killer! end ramble.
In terms of dramatic story-telling, the 'Who Shot Coop?' plot takes way too long to go back to... for something that was the season cliff-hanger. (I like how MacLachlan subtly plays up the injuries following it though).
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
garland

Post by garland »

Circle_of_Trees wrote:The worst scene was of Albert telling Truman his mission is global & his reason is love. "I love you Sheriff Truman!" Say what?! This almost ruined the most down-to-earth character in the series and turned him into just another space cadet, like all the soapy "guest stars" in Season Two.
Really? I thought that scene was beautiful and took a flatout cantankerous character and gave him a completely unexpected dimension.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

wow, I always loved that moment with Albert -thought that was one of the highlights of that episode. It never rang false to me, and it seemed like he just spoke his mind without a filter- and that it was just a little brief open window that closed again.

I know Migel himself said when he read that in the script he was so happy.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?