What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

Post by Audrey Horne »

The Wrapped in Plastic one -well after the series was over. Pretty candid during the whole thing so no need for diplomacy at that point.

Hearing Cooper telling Annie that her "forest" is well planted is pretty barf inducing though.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

To me that Albert revelation scene was just more poor character development. He goes from Dr. House to teddy bear in one scene? I definitely wanted him to have a redeeming side but cmon, let's show signs of humanity, not some sudden volcanic eruption of "I love you" - especially when his explanation didn't even make sense.

Albert, if nothing else, was a logical man, too logical for his own good, so what was up with the rush of surreal poetry? Clearly some will hate the scene, some love it, from an artistic point view, sense extreme scenes generally cut sharply one way or the other appeal-wise; my only issue was from the development side of things.

Again, humans just don't do what Albert did. People like him will have a blip of soul planted as a seed that should slowly weave into a new side to the man. That scene to me was entirely too knee-jerk and felt stapled on - if they wanted to lighten him up a bit, I would've preferred a scene with Albert meeting a character he hadn't established a rapport with and having Harry observe him show some unexpected humanity toward a person Harry would've thought would be the latest target of an Albert blast.

The fact that they immediately went back to the old Albert said to me the epiphany scene was something they threw in just to shock the audience - i.e. they had no intention of following it up with a next step of character development. Albert wound up being one-dimensional with one unrealistic moment of going from extreme bad to good.

I expected Albert to come around a bit throughout Season 2 but I figured they'd do thru some backstory to give us a sense of why he's the way he is - maybe we could find out he's like that because it's his way of divorcing himself from the horrors of his discoveries; he does study dead bodies to retrace crimes for a living, after all.

Anyway, to me Albert was just another case of a well-set up character played by a brilliant actor who was squandered in Season 2.
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

I agree. It's very challenging to sustain the degree of sarcasm Albert had in Season 1 and keep it on pt and funny without going too far over the top, so he was probably a major headache. I've read that the character on HOUSE has 3 or 4 writers doing his lines alone to strike the right balance of pure sarcasm in his unique style. TP didn't have those kinds of resources to burn on one side character, no show does. So yeah, they might've realized he was too hard to write for consistently.
NoiselessFan
Roadhouse Member

Post by NoiselessFan »

Another scene I liked was when James, Donna and Maddy were listening to the Laura tape and Laura says, "James is sweet but he's just so stupid..." LOL - you could just see her cringing or flinching when she said it, just thru the disgust in her voice. Great stuff!
evdama

Post by evdama »

Any scenes with any element or combination of the girly-gang that is AKA Donna /Maddy /James

Examples such as the jailhouse scene where Donna pretends to be all grown-up with dark glasses and cigarette,or Maddy screaming at the "scary coffee stain" on Sarahs carpet.
Or the excruciating musical crime in Ep9.

We've lost the actors who played Mgr Briggs and BOB - James's just died of embarrasment.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

NoiselessFan wrote:Another scene I liked was when James, Donna and Maddy were listening to the Laura tape and Laura says, "James is sweet but he's just so stupid..." LOL - you could just see her cringing or flinching when she said it, just thru the disgust in her voice. Great stuff!
this is quite a hilarious scene.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

garland wrote:
Circle_of_Trees wrote:The worst scene was of Albert telling Truman his mission is global & his reason is love. "I love you Sheriff Truman!" Say what?! This almost ruined the most down-to-earth character in the series and turned him into just another space cadet, like all the soapy "guest stars" in Season Two.
Really? I thought that scene was beautiful and took a flatout cantankerous character and gave him a completely unexpected dimension.
i agree. i felt better about albert after this. [at first i rhought albert was a total jerk, but after veiwing the tp series a number of times, i'd come to laugh at his rude gibes.]

i like the odd bits in TP, i have to say. though the evelyn marsh and lana story lines did get a bit tedious and annoying for me.
done bun; can't be undone
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

one scene that always brings the LOLz is when hawk highfives that guy outside the vet office.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

The worst scene was of Albert telling Truman his mission is global & his reason is love.
You people are crazy. That scene has no business even being in the top 100 of lousy Twin Peaks scenes.

I generally agree with Charles, although I laugh at both Nadine and Ben's civil war scenes. Those images feel like another show entirely.

I like the drawer pull, though.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Agreed.

Um, one can't help but grimmace when Audrey lamets to her father after being deflowered by Jack -"I hope it doesn't hurt this much in a week."
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Hahaha, I didn't even think of that. Oh my. :lol:
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Audrey Horne wrote:Agreed.

Um, one can't help but grimmace when Audrey lamets to her father after being deflowered by Jack -"I hope it doesn't hurt this much in a week."

wow, i dont even remember this line! i dont watch that part of the series very often though.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

evdama wrote:Any scenes with any element or combination of the girly-gang that is AKA Donna /Maddy /James

Examples such as the jailhouse scene where Donna pretends to be all grown-up with dark glasses and cigarette,or Maddy screaming at the "scary coffee stain" on Sarahs carpet.
Or the excruciating musical crime in Ep9.

We've lost the actors who played Mgr Briggs and BOB - James's just died of embarrasment.
I can't believe this. The Donna/Maddy/James team is great, it's like a Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew story. It grounds the show.

The scary stain is truly scary because you have no idea what it is - you just know that it freaks Maddy completely out. (I know it was written with Bob in mind, but the Bob version sucks big time.)

Oh and "Just You" is great. :)
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

No way is Albert's speech about love a bad scene, or a "rewrite" of the character. The reason he goes back to the way he was immediately afterward isn't because they "screwed up his character," he is still the same guy he always was. He just opened up for a brief moment about his reasons for the way he acts the way he does. He's a cynical pacisfist. An asshole who's a fan of ghandi. Nothing about his speech there contradicts what came before or comes afterward.

Also, out of all the lame season 2 subplots, I kind of like the Ben Horne goes crazy one. I think maybe it could have stood on it's own better if there wasn't so much other crappiness going on around it.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

John Justice Wheeler's scenes with Audrey make me want to barf. I prefer the Evelyn Marsh storyline compared to this. After Cooper, how could anyone function as a believable replacement for Audrey? Everyone fawning over Lana Milford just perplexes me to no end. But that's just a matter of taste, I suppose.