twin peaks archive selling dvds

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
wowbobwowbobwow

twin peaks archive selling dvds

Postby wowbobwowbobwow » Thu May 14, 2009 2:31 am

hey all,

just a question and i believe members of twin peaks archive are current members here so maybe they can also shed some light on this but i have looked at that site for a while and the other day saw that they are sellign DVDs of old clips and bits for $20US... this seems to me to be, well, illegal if not disingenuous.

has anyone bought these DVDs? are they worth buying and why? shouldn't htis stuff be public domain and aren't they stuff that's just been compiled from TV?

seems like a shameless cash in but i could be wrong. if there;s value ther i'm keen just curious to hear others thoughts...

wbwbw
jlyon1515

Re: twin peaks archive selling dvds

Postby jlyon1515 » Thu May 14, 2009 7:02 am

Looks like Twin Peaks Archive has spent a lot of time searching out the best version of some of those clips (I know the color version of the Donahue special is harder to find than the black and white version). Plus, they've been all read in and organized across many DVDs.

I say good for them for providing a searches to this 20 year old community! You'd have a hard time finding almost everything on those DVDs.
Jerry Horne

Postby Jerry Horne » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am

Thanks jlyon1515, as current co-operator of the Twin Peaks Fest, we appreciate the comment.

First of all, wowbobwowbobwow, thank you for visiting our site! We have gone out of our way not to make anything available on our site that could be construed as illegal. If wowow Japan corp. gets in touch with us and wants us to stop selling a program that has never been released on DVD and, in fact even they have probably forgotten exists, we would of course drop that title. One wonders if Dateline NBC cares about someone selling a 20-year old 8 minute clip on the Twin Peaks phenomenon? After all, you can view that clip on YouTube right? And guess what? You Tube has advertisers. That means they are making a profit on showing a whole host of Twin Peaks clips. We could have listed deleted scenes that did not make the Gold Box set, rare audio etc, however, we thought those items would have crossed the line. Have you been to eBay or Cafe Press? Those sites are littered with Twin Peaks apparel, mugs and so forth. We doubt those people are paying a slice to Lynch/Frost productions or CBS. No one seems to raise concerns about those items. Why? Because it's fans doing these things for other fans. We charge what we do, frankly, because we have lives and that is what our time is worth. Also, I'm not sure if your familiar with mega-collector B Phillips? Well, he produced a catalog selling many of these same clips for nearly 20 years! (including deleted scenes that we currently choose not to sell!) I'm not sure if ever read about anyone raising issues with his catalog before. Oh, and by the way, we originally supplied Bruce with some of the deleted scenes he used to sell. It is only after he stopped coming out with his catalog and dropped his website that we decided to continue to make these items available.

I must tell you, as a collector it seems sometimes you just can't win. If you don't make some of your stuff available, you're hoarding! When you do put it out there, you're gouging true fans!

You could spend 2000 hours trying to find these clips on the internet on sites like YouTube. Or...
coolspringsj
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Postby coolspringsj » Thu May 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Wowbob, I think it's being done in the best interest of the diehard fans, not to make some gargantuan profit.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Brad D

Postby Brad D » Thu May 14, 2009 8:48 pm

yeah, try finding a copy of the dinner conversations dvd anywhere...i'll gladly pay up :) i actually just got it a couple of days ago in the mail and it was everything i could hope for.

thanks jerry!
Jerry Horne

Postby Jerry Horne » Thu May 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks guys.
dugpa
Site Admin

Postby dugpa » Thu May 14, 2009 11:27 pm

I picked up a few DVDs from Jerry Horne as well and they are top notch. It is an absolute thrill being able to re-watch many of these rare TV moments and clips.

-B
wowbobwowbobwow

Postby wowbobwowbobwow » Fri May 15, 2009 12:39 am

Fair enough, I see this is a sore point. Good on you for compiling the material and hell, great stuff making it available. For me, especially as a non US citizen, I'm just considering where $20 USD is justified.

But I see your point, and I applaud your efforts, if not your offense at my enquiry.

I hope one day I have enough spare cash to buy them all.

now this thread can die a glorious death - never question anything in a cult community!!!
kim 13781

Postby kim 13781 » Mon May 18, 2009 7:46 am

I love the site and the dvd's are fantastic I want every one of them I think it's a great idea giving fan's the chance to get hold of them I was going to order some but I'm not sure if they will play in my DVD player as I am in England this is the problem I am having with getting the entire seasons of twin peaks DVD's there not in my region so i've had to settle for the old VHS videos instead, could you let me know if these DVD's would work i'm really intrested.
Keep up the good work kim :)
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
Jerry Horne

Postby Jerry Horne » Mon May 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Thanks Kim :D

They would only work in your player if you are able to play other standard US dvd's. A lot of people in the UK 'hack' their player's to make them region free. This info can be found on the internet.
kim 13781

Postby kim 13781 » Tue May 19, 2009 4:53 am

Thanks i'll have a look at this info see what it say's :)
jlyon1515

Postby jlyon1515 » Tue May 19, 2009 6:38 am

kim 13781 wrote:I am in England this is the problem I am having with getting the entire seasons of twin peaks DVD's they're not in my region.

Really? The gold box isn't released anywhere in all of Europe? The Region code for England is Region 2, and that's all the rest of Europe too. Seems like you could track down the Gold Box set from Germany or somewhere. I'm pretty sure you could find it somewhere with the same region code as you. The other problem is NTSC vs. PAL vs. Secam formatting of the video, but I believe most DVD players in Europe can do that conversion.
kim 13781

Postby kim 13781 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:44 am

jlyon1515 wrote:
kim 13781 wrote:I am in England this is the problem I am having with getting the entire seasons of twin peaks DVD's they're not in my region.

Really? The gold box isn't released anywhere in all of Europe? The Region code for England is Region 2, and that's all the rest of Europe too. Seems like you could track down the Gold Box set from Germany or somewhere. I'm pretty sure you could find it somewhere with the same region code as you. The other problem is NTSC vs. PAL vs. Secam formatting of the video, but I believe most DVD players in Europe can do that conversion.

Hi yeah the goldbox is'nt released here in England neither is season 2 I've asked around a few shops but they all say the same thing some have said they can order it but no guarantee of it working on the dvd player I could try like you said to get it from somewhere like Germany and see if it might work I guess I will have to see it's worth a go though. :)
mixomatosis

Postby mixomatosis » Tue May 19, 2009 5:01 pm

If you don't have a multi-region player, get the Australian Gold Box - no language barriers, and their Region 4 is identical to Region 2. I've not tried this particular DVD, but I have many R4 DVDs that work fine on my DVD player and Playstation 3, so you shouldn't have any problems in the UK. Plus the rate of £-AU$ is about 1:2 right now, which is far stronger than the US dollar or Euro.
Evenreven

Postby Evenreven » Wed May 20, 2009 12:34 am

I've asked around a few shops but they all say the same thing some have said they can order it but no guarantee of it working on the dvd player

So they'll only order from the US? That's just stupid. Buy it from Amazon.de, or some other place recommended in this thread. There are several good sources for the region 2 gold box listed there.

EDIT: You must be certain your player is region-free if you're going to buy from Australia/Region 4. It won't work any better than the US version.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”