Twin Peaks: the 1991 board game.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

blair
Roadhouse Member

Twin Peaks: the 1991 board game.

Post by blair »

Hello everybody, I'm new in this forum and I'm really a big Twin Peaks fan, I would like to say that I'm sorry for advance, because I don't have a really good level in english.

I have found the board game of Twin Peaks, the name of this game is "Twin Peaks Murder Mystery Game" in 1991.

You can find some pictures (6) in this link:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11638

Sorry for advance if this link have been already posted.

Peace for everyone.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: the 1991 board game.

Post by DigitalGhost »

I bought that game in 1992 and tried playing it once and it hasn't seen the light of day since! I feel sorry for all the people who've spent silly money on that board game on eBay.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

It was so bad ?

Do you remember the rules or the characters involved in the game ? They have included the dark Lodge in this game ?

Thanks for advance.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

blair wrote:It was so bad ?

Do you remember the rules or the characters involved in the game ? They have included the dark Lodge in this game ?

Thanks for advance.
You have to collect donuts (the small brown plastic counters) and cardboard pieces that you assemble to create a pentagram death trap, which has the characters from the Black Lodge around the outside and the white horse in the middle. That surprised me because the relationship between those characters hadn't really been explored in the series. From what I remember it's confusing and/or boring and, as you'll see from the page you posted a link to, takes around two hours! It sells for up to £50.00 on eBay UK and at least half of the ones that come up for sale are still sealed. I think that's because Twin Peaks had either peaked or been cancelled by the time it was released. I bought mine from Toys'R'Us.
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Thank you very much DigitalGhost for the precious detail that you give me about this game, it's very interesting, maybe I will try to buy it, but I'm not sure.

It was a big surprise about this game that there are already a death trap, with black Lodge characters, because I think that their description of these characters was not very clear until the last episode (if I remember correctly).

Thank you again DigitalGhost for the info.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

blair wrote:Thank you very much DigitalGhost for the precious detail that you give me about this game, it's very interesting, maybe I will try to buy it, but I'm not sure.

It was a big surprise about this game that there are already a death trap, with black Lodge characters, because I think that their description of these characters was not very clear until the last episode (if I remember correctly).

Thank you again DigitalGhost for the info.

You're welcome.

I had my scanner set up anyway, so I dug out the game and scanned this for you.

The handbook actually goes into more detail about the 'darkness' in Twin Peaks than the series, the film or the books.

To give you some idea how labour intensive the game is, the 'rules of play' go on for four pages.
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Thank you very much for the scan DigitalGhost, it's very nice.

Ouch, it's seem really a tough game, four pages of rules, I think it's more the pleasure to have another item of twin peaks, for to be honest, before to see this board, I have no idea that we can find rare item like this, it's very cool to learn that.

About the handbook, you talk about another item or it's the handbook with the board game ? The info of the black lodge is canon with the serie and the movie, or it's something original ?

Thank you again very much for the scan DigitalGhost.
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

blair wrote:Thank you very much for the scan DigitalGhost, it's very nice.

Ouch, it's seem really a tough game, four pages of rules, I think it's more the pleasure to have another item of twin peaks, for to be honest, before to see this board, I have no idea that we can find rare item like this, it's very cool to learn that.

About the handbook, you talk about another item or it's the handbook with the board game ? The info of the black lodge is canon with the serie and the movie, or it's something original ?

Thank you again very much for the scan DigitalGhost.

The handbook comes with the board game. It includes the rules, information about (the town of) Twin Peaks, character profiles and lines to be read backwards in the backwards speech round! The outline of 'the darkness' in the handbook doesn't mention the Black Lodge, or any of the Lodge characters by name, and that's why I've never been sure whether it's canon or not. I don't know how much involvement Lynch/Frost had in the board game or who wrote the blurb for the handbook. In the series, film and books it's left to the viewer/reader to draw their own conclusion about what's going on with the Lodge inhabitants whereas the handbook mentions Native American beliefs, owls, child murders in the woods, dark spirits and a secret society that was set up to protect the town (again it doesn't actually mention the Bookhouse Boys by name). I've always felt it was a strange choice of subject matter for a board game.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I picked up the Board Game from Bruce Phillips years ago but never bothered to try and figure it out. Now I'm curious to read the rules book.

-B
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

The handbook is the best thing about it! The game itself is - from what I remember - torturous and devoid of any entertainment value...
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

I got this game for xmas, the same year as the first set of series 1 videos were released in the UK. Unfortunately a family member chucked it out after I left home. I played it a couple of times, and it wasn't the best game in the world, although I'd like to still have it. The one thing I remember about the booklet, was that the character profiles gave conflicting ages for characters compared to the Access Guide. Have never been sure which one to trust...
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

I suppose the Access Guide is more reliable because of the involvement of Lynch/Frost.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

This is an old topic but has anyone a copy of the rule book or know where to find it?

I guess it is an abandoned board game nowadays since it is not listed on the publisher's website (paul-lamond.com).

Seeing the above comments made me curious about this apprently "in-depth" lore explanation but with the game's horrendous reputation I am not sure I want to pay such a high price to read it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

I got my board game from Craig "Wrapped In Plastic Magazine" Miller's dad! I just read this old thread and it made me want to read the rule book which I obviously haven't done very closely so far. It's late here in the remains of Sherwood Forest and I now have 3 loooooooooong days at work but after that I'll try and upload some nice scans of the whole booklet.

The best thing about it is the back cover. The booklet isn't titled "rule book", it's titled "FBI Agent's Handbook". So on the back there is a big FBI emblem with this quote below it; "Winners Don't Use Drugs" - William S Sessions, Director, FBI
:lol:
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

Qubism wrote:The booklet isn't titled "rule book", it's titled "FBI Agent's Handbook". So on the back there is a big FBI emblem with this quote below it; "Winners Don't Use Drugs" - William S Sessions, Director, FBI
:lol:
Haha, nice :lol: