First time viewer

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

d3moliti0n

First time viewer

Post by d3moliti0n »

Hi all

I am currently watching Twin Peaks for the first time (although I had been waiting to buy the Gold Box for a while, the price never seemed to change here in the UK though to import it from the US so I just went ahead and finally bought it). I have just finished watching the third episode of the second season and it has been superb so far. Very weird, much like Lynch's other works (which I am and was a big fan of before seeing Twin Peaks).

The 'Bob' character is also very creepy, although from the stuff I read on the net about the series (although avoiding all possible spoilers), I kinda wasn't as shocked as I could have been when the killer was revealed, mainly because he's always named as 'Killer Bob - the evil spirit of Twin Peaks'. Although I still have no idea who he is and what is going on to be honest. :o

I can't wait to watch the remaning 19 episodes but I'm going to try and space them out a bit now and make it last, although I will probably end up watching it through again once I finish because it's so good. I also have the film to watch (and I know that you are only supposed to watch the film after the series).

If you do post a response could you please try to avoid any spoilers ahead of where I am up to currently on the show.

Thanks,
d3moliti0n
Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: First time viewer

Post by Brad D »

that is really cool. I love hearing first time viewer's thoughts on everything. enjoy!! (and keep us updated)
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I'll second that!

I wish I could go back to seeing TP with fresh eyes again! Keep us informed, d3molition!
d3moliti0n

Post by d3moliti0n »

There are spoilers in the following post so don't read if you haven't seen the show or want to watch it. (Just a precautionary thing, just incase there are people who haven't seen the show).

Hi

Well I have seen a couple of episodes today, episodes six and seven of the second season, episode seven fully revealing the killer. I have to say, I don't think I was as shocked as I could have been. Leland Palmer had always seemed a bit iffy and strange from the get go, and I had inadvertently come across some hints that he had something to do with her death when reading about the show.

But yeah, the whole Leland being Bob was a suprise, I didn't expect that. Quite a scary scene actually, and Bob is very creepy.

I can't wait to see the rest now. 15 episodes down, 15 to go now, so I am exactly half way through. I've heard that it takes a dip in quality after the killer is revealed and becomes a bit ropey until the last few episodes which are return to form (superb). Is this true?

Anyway, just thought I would add a quick update considering I had reached a major plot revelation.

Oh, and Lynch himself, as Gordon Cole was awesome. I never knew Lynch had acted before and his character was quite humorous with the whole speaking loud thing, haha.

Thanks,
d3moliti0n
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

oh man, that's just great that you've been able to see this so many years later without being spoiled.

too bad we couldn't get you earlier to post -documenting your thoughts after each viewing.

what have you enjoyed so far, what surprised you?
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Yes, the quality drops but the world is still there. I've seen this show so many times and lately that latter part of 2nd season have started to feel weaker but originally I loved it all. Just enjoy the characters (well some of the new quest stars will make you cry for all the wrong reasons but anyway...) and music and the world and it will be sweet ride. The end is great, and after that FWWM is stunning in my books. Too bad they didn't do more TP movies after that.

And I absolutely love Cordon Cole! Of course the fanboy aspect is there but still, Lynch delivers great character in great way (he is actually one of the best things to come to you in further episodes). And in FWWM Chris Isaak's character Chester Desmond has always been one of my alltime favourites.

Oh man how I envy you! This brings back memories from way back. Has it already been something like 18 years? Unbelieveable.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

what fun indeed. whenever i have a 'twin peaks fest', it recalls the feelings i had whilst watching it for the first time on network tv.
indeed, nearly 20 years have passed and it's as fresh as ever.
enjoy!

perhaps one day, i'll be able to visit snoqualmie. lol, i even looked for mobile homes online in that area.
done bun; can't be undone
d3moliti0n

Post by d3moliti0n »

Ok, so I have seven episodes remaining to watch and every one so far has been superb. I know a lot of people say that season two takes a dip in quality but I can't point out any faults so far, every episode has had me gripped and wanting to watch the next episode straight after (which is what I have been doing pretty much all of today, I think I've gone through eight episodes in total today which is overkill but superb viewing, plus I don't have much patience when it comes to trying to watch a TV series over a period of time).

I'm kind of disappointed that it's nearly over but I then have the film to watch (which I hear is also a bit disappointing, although some people also say it's great so I'll just have to watch it myself and see how it is, although I know it won't be as good as the show itself). Plus, I know it's going to become a series that I will rewatch a lot, it's just superb viewing and hands down is now my favourite television series of all time. It pretty much set the standard for TV shows and that was nearly twenty years ago, compare it to what else we have had over the years and it's still ten times, maybe a hundred times better and was ahead of it's time.

Overall, superb.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

If you have seven episodes to go, you'd better not judge season two too quickly. :lol:

I like all the episodes, but I'm just weird.
d3moliti0n

Post by d3moliti0n »

Ok, just finished the show, the last episode was mind blowing, yet very confusing. But the end scenes, whoa! :o :shock:
Crazy stuff, superb stuff, just completely awesome. Definitely my favourite show of all time, it cannot be beaten. That ending though, just wow.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

GREAT! And I've noticed that even if the end is hyped around the net (I've done that to my friends too) it still surprises. It is just something completely unique. I have to say that to this day I haven't seen any single TV episode that could rival this one. There are some really great TV series around the world (Dennis Potter's The Singing Detective, Lars von Trier's The Kingdom (Riget) and Kieslowski's Dekalog comes to mind) but as a single episode, no competition here. When I saw it for the first time (after I just heard that the show wasn't continuing) it simply blew my mind! Somehow it made it even ok that TP ended. And of course when FWWM came it was like a dream. I really loved it and even though it is darker than series, it is definitely TP. Some new characters, some old, all great. I especially love Chris Isaak as agent Chester Desmond (he fits to Lynchian world like a glove).
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

d3moliti0n wrote:Ok, just finished the show, the last episode was mind blowing, yet very confusing. But the end scenes, whoa! :o :shock:
Crazy stuff, superb stuff, just completely awesome. Definitely my favourite show of all time, it cannot be beaten. That ending though, just wow.
Just like you I've also seen the whole show only once. That was nearly two years ago but I still can remember how much I was impressed with the last episode. And like gavriloP said I was also really surprised of how it ended. I'm curious to read how you'll like the movie Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me after you watched it ?
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

I saw TP for the first time on 2007-2008. I watched the show from our finnish TV channel, they showed one episode on every sunday, from fall of 2007 to spring of 2008, as you can think, this was very interesting and great time for me, i enjoyed every sunday night and i was simply in love with Twin Peaks. They showed last 6 or 4 episodes in pairs, so those last two sundays were even more exciting. Of course, i had to wake up early on every monday, but i stayed faithful 8)

It was the last sunday and i had waited those last 2 episodes with great excitement, and it was after midnight when the last episode was over. And i still can't explain my feelings i had on that night, it was so amazing, sad, surrealistic, weird, new and warm at the same time. I had never felt something like that before, that last episode was pure gold. And yep, it was very hard to sleep after episodes like these 2, and on the next morning i was still amazed. 8) Of course there was many great, great moments before on the previous episodes, but the ending was something above all this. It was like this combined and opened all great things that Twin Peaks holds inside.

After i watched TP from the fall to the spring, i thought that i cant watch this again on summer, it doesn't have that same feeling for me. It has to be darker on outside when i watch series like Twin Peaks. Finland has same kind of climate with Seattle, where series were first shot, so maybe that adds something to my experience, and i live close to woods and trees etc. :wink:

Damn.. i guess i have to watch the series again from The Gold Box. And its fall again so... 8)
d3moliti0n

Post by d3moliti0n »

Just watched the film, I have mixed opinions though. While it was a decent film, it just didn't really feel much like the TV show (I know that it's a feature film, but it just didn't retain some of the things that made the show great), and it wasn't helped by the absence of characters and the fact that Laura Palmer seems to live in a completely different house?

I would say it's about a 7/10 to be honest as it's a decent addition to go along with the show but nowhere near as good as the series.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

d3moliti0n wrote:Just watched the film, I have mixed opinions though. While it was a decent film, it just didn't really feel much like the TV show (I know that it's a feature film, but it just didn't retain some of the things that made the show great), and it wasn't helped by the absence of characters and the fact that Laura Palmer seems to live in a completely different house?

I would say it's about a 7/10 to be honest as it's a decent addition to go along with the show but nowhere near as good as the series.
Well, it would have taken two more hours to include more characters and their connections to Laura Palmer.