Personal observations on TP

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Personal observations on TP

Post by missoulamt »

I watched TP in its entirety earlier this summer after not having seen it for 10 years maybe. I basically found all the episodes up until no 17 to be classic and pretty much perfect. I realised that it was around episode 17 that the show for the first time started to introduce elements that could just as well have been left out; the Tremayne/Andy/Lucy drama, Nadine's gymnastics trials, James going out of town etc.

Feeling this way I thought it might make sense to watch the show again starting with the second season episodes, to see if they hold up better without being mixed up with the first season brilliance. I started with episode 17 yesterday. I picked up on two scenes that stood out as being very TP in their vibe. Not surprisingly both also had strong connections to the "woods":

1. The very atmospheric scene where Catherine explains to Truman how she somehow made it to Pearl Lakes after the fire. This place always sparked my imagination as a viewer, particularly because Wise's acting was so strong when recalling the events that happened there: Leland meeting Bob for the first time, that they were neighbours etc. The fact that all of this was left up to one's own imagination made it even more powerful.

Could it be that Pearl Lakes is a metaphor for the White Lodge? Some kind of good higher power made sure Catherine got there after the fire, where she was safe?

2. The scene where Cooper goes fishing with Major Briggs. Just before Cooper goes to take a leak, Briggs does the same hand gesture (raised thumb, blinking eye) that the old waiter at the Great Northern made a point of doing. I hadn't paid attention to this before.

Could it be that there was a connection between Briggs and the waiter in that they both came from the white lodge, even though they existed in reality as well? Both were responsible for good things. The waiter appeared as a distraction when Cooper had been shot and was starting to drift off, and Briggs generally having this good aura about him.

The way the two arrived together for Cooper's Roadhouse meeting etc. Also, Briggs talking about this "great palazzo" in the powerful scene with Bobby, also seems to suggest a White Lodge connection?

---

Has anyone else made a similar interpretation? :) It would be really interesting to read other people's observations of various things that have occured throughout the series, and the possible significance of these.
piero
RR Diner Member

Re: Personal observations on TP

Post by piero »

I think this is a good interpretation for the White Lodge. I really like it!
Roomservice...
Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

Instead of starting a new topic I thought I'd put my thought here. Just watched the series for the 10th time.

When Little Nicky spins Andy's stool in the Double R diner he spins it clockwise. But when Andy sits back down he flys off of the stool the complete opposite way. For him to fall that way the stool would have to have been spun counter clockwise. Anyone else catch this?
The word linkage reminds me of sausages, didn't care much for the links... prefered the patties.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

:lol: Yes I've noticed. I just thought about it as the same "clownish" Andy! :wink:
Roomservice...
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Dr. Jacoby wrote:When Little Nicky spins Andy's stool in the Double R diner he spins it clockwise. But when Andy sits back down he flys off of the stool the complete opposite way. For him to fall that way the stool would have to have been spun counter clockwise. Anyone else catch this?
No. Andy flys to his right - that means he flys clockwise.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

qbin2001 wrote:
Dr. Jacoby wrote:When Little Nicky spins Andy's stool in the Double R diner he spins it clockwise. But when Andy sits back down he flys off of the stool the complete opposite way. For him to fall that way the stool would have to have been spun counter clockwise. Anyone else catch this?
No. Andy flys to his right - that means he flys clockwise.
Have to agree with qbin2001. The continuity is correct here.
Dr. Jacoby
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dr. Jacoby »

Yeah I agree with the community now after going back and watching it again. Thanks for the confirmation! :D
The word linkage reminds me of sausages, didn't care much for the links... prefered the patties.