Twin Peaks evening w/Robert Engels in LA on April 9

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks evening w/Robert Engels in LA on April 9

Post by Annie »

Thanks for the details, TheArm. Did you take any pictures?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Fantastic!!!

Yep, I heard that Lynch just hated the Invitation To Love bits. I loved them myself.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Annie wrote:Thanks for the details, TheArm. Did you take any pictures?
Unfortunately I did not. :( Sorry!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
G42
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42 »

I was there too, and whoo, yeah, it was packed, with people, and info!

It did sound to me like the whole garmonbozia planet was not too be taken entirely seriously, but Engel's whole attitude was laid back and goofy, so I am not too sure!

(Oh and On the Air was awesomely bizarre...I really want to see the rest of it now)

Also of possible BIG note: He mentioned having seen deleted scenes from BLUE VELVET that Lynch has said DON'T EXIST anymore...The stripper with the tassles on fire...People, maybe woman, pushing chairs around(?), and everyone lined up in a straight line as Jack Nance goes super crazy to freak out Kyle...More so than what is in the film...

So apparently deleted Blue Velvet footage does exist! But then he said that all the FWWM cut stuff was probably gone too...But if footage Lynch has said doesn't exist...still does exist...Then I am betting the FWWM stuff does still exist somewhere...One can hope...

As for the doppelgangers, he said 2 minutes, but again, I don't think that was meant fully literally...But that yes, the alternate black lodge time line is slower and different and were more to have continued after FWWM it may have involved the good Cooper stuck in the lodge still trying to communicate to the earlier time period of season 1...Maybe. Again, I am just extrapolating from what was said!
You must follow the Walrus
to the sea, for the sea
to follow the Walrus to you
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Garmonbozia/creamed corn planet stuff is really where they were thinking of taking the story. Tonight isn't the first time I've heard this, I'm pretty sure it did actually pop up in Wrapped in Plastic, too. I mean....I know it's absolutely absurd, but I do think that's where they were taking the whole mythology. (And honestly, maybe it's better we didn't get to that point!)
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
G42
Roadhouse Member

Post by G42 »

TheArm wrote:I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Garmonbozia/creamed corn planet stuff is really where they were thinking of taking the story. Tonight isn't the first time I've heard this, I'm pretty sure it did actually pop up in Wrapped in Plastic, too. I mean....I know it's absolutely absurd, but I do think that's where they were taking the whole mythology. (And honestly, maybe it's better we didn't get to that point!)
Hahah, yeah, I know it's been mentioned before, but still, it's just so over the top it's hard to consider! So yeah, perhaps it's certainly for the best it didn't reach that point...And who knows, maybe if more had been allowed, a more reasonable 'solution' would have evolved....Ah well, thoughts!
You must follow the Walrus
to the sea, for the sea
to follow the Walrus to you
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

The whole ,,Garmonbozia planet" story sounds like a joke for me...Did Robert Engels really mean it seriously? I hope, it was a joke actually.
It would be reasonable to ask David Lynch about it to find out the truth.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

The lodge dwellers being aliens is nothing new. I haven't heard before that the planet was called Garmonbozia, but there was talk of the planet being made out of creamed corn. The writers were building to it in season 2 most notably Windom Earles involvement in project blue book along with Briggs, having to do with aliens on earth. I can understand that at first listen it sounds kinda ridiculous but i think it could have been executed well, at least nobody would have seen it coming. And if the red room scenes with the backwards talking dwarf etc. was something you hadn't seen but only heard explained that might have seemed ridiculous as well when executed by Lynch/Frost it was brilliant and chilling to the bone.
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I really wanted to go to this last night, but couldn't....glad someone was there to report back!

I am glad we never got into the whole Garmonbozia/Planet of Cream Corn business...I for one, think the origin of the BOB and the Lodge spirits should be kept vague and open to interpetation (which seems more Lynch's style anyway) Ghosts, demons, aliens, extra-dimensional beings? They could be any or all of them, we should never be given a straight answer. And I'm glad we weren't. Of all the "unresolved questions" left at the end of the series, I'm glad this was never resolved. I like the idea of the dopplegangers being two minutes out of step with the normal world though...kind of a cool concept.

As for Robert Engels' comments about the deleted footage from FWWM being destroyed, I highly doubt that. If it was gonna go in the trash, it would have happened soon after the movie was released, and we all know that we came this close to getting those scenes a few years ago. And why would they have been destroyed since then? Doesn't make sense. I'd bet real money they still exist. Wasn't the final count for scenes that were going to be restored something like 17?
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Yes, it fits somehow into the Windom Earle/Blue Book story line. But Earle doesn't talk about ,,aliens". From my point of view, there was only one really hint in the series: the flying owl cave symbol in space. But I'm inclined to believe, it's only one demention of interpretation, which shouldn't be concretized. I also believe, that BOB has an earthy nature of human dark desire, passion and fetishism(,,I want to taste through your mouth") Anyway I would like to hear it from Lynch himself to be sure, that the planet story corresponded to his ideas too.
The idea with the planet could be not bad, on the other hand. We know, that Lynch introduced this image once in Eraserhead. But that planet wasn't a quite ,,real" objekt, it was something like mystical abstraction and belonged, like The Black Lodge, to the mystical reality beyond our world. If we could see something like that, it would be fine, maybe. But anyway without any sci-fi. But the planet covered by cream corn doesn't already match with sci-fi in fact. But I'm not sure, what should be as a result, maybe a grotesque absurd fairy tale.

I HOPE, SOMEONE WILL ASK DAVID LYNCH TO FIND OUT, IF ROBERT ENGELS STANDPOINT IS BEING SHARED BY HIM OR NOT. DO IT PLEASE AT ANY POSSIBLE OPPORTUNITY!!!

Is it possible to contact David Lynch via Twitter :?:

I must confess, the whole planet story disturbed me strongly, for I completely support the point of view expressed above.
Last edited by nemo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

[quote="nemo"]Yes, it fits somehow into the Windom Earle/Blue Book story line. But Earle doesn't talk about ,,aliens".

Yes he does, someone has borrowed my TP box so i can't qoute Windom directly, but we see a video clip of Earle raving on about project blue book, and Major Briggs also comments on it having to do with extra terrestial life.

The blue book wiki page also reminded me that the weird "Cooper" print out Major Briggs shows up with early in season 2 is also "from space".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Blue_Book

I really enjoy the idea, even though i'll admit i had the same uncertain gut reaction when i heard about the planet storyline in the late 90's, but i really love the idea of "Twin Peaks" being a storyline that keeps twisting and redefining itself on it's own terms. (For example there was the huge FWWM backlash from angry audience members who were upset that the more comedic elements from the show were so drastically toned down. For my it was still without a doubt "Twin Peaks" just a different piece of the puzzle. And yeah i think had this particular storyline progressed it would have played out more like "Eraserhead" than "Lost in space".)
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Windom talks about dugpas:
These, uh, these evil sorcerers, uh,...dugpas, they're called...they, uh, cultivate evil for the sake of evil, nothing else, they, uh, express themselves in darkness, for darkness without leavening motive, uh--Now this, this ardent purity allows them to access a secret place where the cultivation of evil proceeds in exponential fashion, and with it, the furtherance of evil's resulting power! Th-this place of power is tangible and as such it can be found, entered, and perhaps utilized in, in some fashion. Th-the dugpas have, have, many names for it, but chief among them is the, uh, is the Black Lodge. You don't believe me, do you? You think I'm mad. Overworked. Go away.

The Blue Book Project might be devoted to UFO at first, but Earle focused his attention on the Ghostwood forest. The paranormal phenomena could be taken as UFO, but they weren't actually (It seems to me so at least).
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Wow. Great reports from event! Gotta love Bob Engels. The best is about the Blue Velvet Deleted Scenes. I have heard rumors that Lynch had found them but never from an official source.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Does anybody know, where the first rumor about the planet came from and who was the first teller of this idea :?:
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

it was still referred to under the project blue book banner and having to do with aliens having arrived on earth. The show doesn't get into whether this happened near the beginning of time or in the 1960's but it's quite clear that they were building towards this as the writers have also specified several times. Having said that I'd assume that they would have kept the nature of things somewhat ambigious like they always did when something big was revelaed i.e. Rosenfeld's little monolouge about whether it's easier to believe in inhabiting spirits or that an evil so deep can be found in a "normal" human being like Leland Palmer.

A very simular related storyline that i thought didn't turn out so well was in Mark Frost's novel "The List of Seven"(spoilers if you haven't read it). Here the masterplan of the dark brotherhood(a bunch of dugpas if you ask me) have made a deal with some leprechauns that the leprechauns will teach the brotherhood how to grow extremely large crops, vegetables and lifestock if the brotherhood will in turn help them with their endgame of returning the dweller on the threshold (aka the devil)to earth. Now that i had a hard time buying. The Window Earle storyline is also closely paraleled here with the Jack Sparks/Alexander Sparks backstory. The novel is not perfect but it seemed to me that Frost used it as an outlet for some of his Twin Peaks ideas that suddenly found themselves without a home. (he had also previously described Cooper as Holmes-ian)