Twin Peaks Turns 20

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Turns 20

Post by dugpa »

Feel free to share your thoughts on the 20th Anniversary of Twin Peaks
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Turns 20

Post by Jerry Horne »

I really can't believe it's been 20 years! Wow. I think part of the reason I love the series so much is that I remember some of the great times I had at that time in my life. Very often when I watch the series, I find that my mind starts drifting off to people I used to know and the fun times that seem only reserved for the young. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's a 'Damn Fine' show!

- I really hope we see a complete soundtrack box set (here I go again)

- Blu-Ray should happen, but when?

- FWWM deleted scenes?

I'd love to see at least one official product come out this year. Is that too much to ask?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

Man... I can remember seeing the pilot for the first time 8 years ago when the series was released on DVD. I was watching it off the back of seeing 'Mulholland Drive' which was my first exposure to Lynch. Like most people here I was captivated. Utter, completely, love-at-first-sight, bewitchingly captivated. I can't even begin to explain it. As I write this I'm listening to 'Moving Through Time' from the FWWM soundtrack and it captures the feeling perfectly.

'Twin Peaks' has informed everything I've done since, like a lot of Lynch's work. It's indelible to my life - it started off my interest in surrealism which down various paths to becoming an atheist, informed my readings/obsession with postmodernism which lead to a massive interest in art, got me started on meditation and a million and one other things. It's the touchpaper that lead down so many routes for me.

So I'm raising my cup of tea to say happy birthday ('Twin Peaks' never got me started on coffee however, can't stand the stuff) and to the memory of Laura, we miss you, but goddamn it's a good thing you died.
Last edited by skawitch on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

At the risk of sounding corny, I'm just glad we're all sitting here still talking about it, excited about it and loving it as much as we ever were. I've had to make a Sophie's Choice because I have to decide tomorrow night between seeing FWWM at the New Beverly Cinema or going to the UCB Twin Peaks Talent Show - TWO conflicting Twin Peaks events on the same night. I think it's fantastic! I never would have dreamt that would happen. But still, nothing makes me happier than when I refer to the show casually in conversation with someone and you see that little flicker in their eyes and they pause to say, "Oh my God, I LOVE that show."

So here's to all of us still loving it and talking about it in 20 years. I know I still will!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
wayhip

Post by wayhip »

Seems like yesterday...

I was already a huge David Lynch fan prior to the premiere of "Twin Peaks" and so it was with much anticipation (and worry - if you were a fan of David Lynch you had to be thinking "This is network television - surely it can't be ANYTHING like his films") that I waited for and finally saw the premiere. And taped it. And watched it again and again.

Watching "Twin Peaks" became an event, just as much as I know of people today that have "Lost" parties each week. I would gather with friends, we'd sit in rapt silence, and then spend hours discussing and analyzing each episode. From Pete's iconic statement "She's dead - wrapped in plastic" to the death of Dale we lived that first short season on the edge.

Unfortunately after Leland's death the series started to run out of gas a bit, but we stood by faithfully to the end, and end which still came much too soon. Other programs came and went which seemed to try and capture a taste of "Twin Peaks" - "Wild Palms" and "Picket Fences" come immediately to mind - but nothing has ever quite compared. "Twin Peaks" was definitely one-of-a-kind.

My greatest joy is that my 20-year old son is now also a "Twin Peaks" fanatic. Every Halloween we marathon our way through the first season on DVD and then plow through season two in the subsequent days. Finally getting a nice DVD copy of the pilot in the recent "Gold" set has been a great joy (I recently picked up a VHS copy of the European theatrical release of the pilot for $1 at a yard sale - includes an interesting bed scene between Andy and Lucy). Hmmm... I feel a viewing marathon coming on...
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I fell in love with Twin Peaks for the very first time when I was 9-10 years old. I'm in love with again. Every year is a growing love. Hope they will give us that "presents" Jerry told! Happy 20th anniversary!
Roomservice...
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

DAVID LYNCH MUST RELEASE THE DELETED SCENES!!! It is the only thing I'm eager to watch. The date seems to be very suitable!
I hope, that the full FBI Office/Buenos Aires/Convenience Store sequence and the end really exist in their complete form.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

It being 20 years since "Twin Peaks" debuted doesn't freak me out nearly as much as hearing it's been 8 years since "Mulholland Dr."...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Happy Birthday, Twin Peaks!

I love you more than ever. You haven't aged a day. xoxo

God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Great montage, Audrey!! And who could forget this???
Attachments
Davidandfwwmgirls.jpg
Davidandfwwmgirls.jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 18289 times
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Beginning to study film five years ago got me into the worlds of Lynch and Twin Peaks. Just glad to still be here talking about it. :) I've had a great time with this show.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Wow! The big 2-0 for Twin Peaks. I can't believe it!

And guess what? I got home from Uni to find that my brand new Gold Box Set had arrived! What a way to celebrate. I'm sat here watching the pilot and grinning from ear to ear. The quality of the picture is quite a bit better and I'm seeing things I hadn't noticed before.

I'm proud to say that my little 15 yr old sister is now an addict and I heard my mum just say.. "Maybe I'll give it a go..." Brilliant!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i wrote a very special blog celebrating this very special anniversary of the show, check it out!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Nice job, Brad! So that's what you really look like! I keep envisioning people as their avatars...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Fantastic pics Audrey!

Great blog post Brad! Thanks for the mention!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM