Twin Peaks Opening Credits

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Opening Credits

Post by dugpa »

Quick trivia question. Does anyone remember if any of the Episodes of Twin Peaks have Sheryl Lee listed in the main credits?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks Opening Credits

Post by Audrey Horne »

in the opening title credits? No, none. They stay the same except for adding Kimmy in the second season, taking out Piper during the Catherine is dead fakeout, and finally taking out Ray Wise. Chen and Marshall always stayed, I believe.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Thanks Audrey. Did they remove Joan Chen after she left ? Sheryl is in a subsequent set of credits in Episode 8 over the water but I would have thought that she would have made it in the opening credits at some point.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

They all stayed on the opening credits except for Ray Wise starting with 2.10. (Marshall and Chen remained).

Kimmi was added with the second season -there was a blurb in the papers about her being upgraded because she was a fan favorite prior to the premiere.

Sheryl Lee was never in the opening and only shown after the commercial break when all the also starring and guest stars would appear at the beginning of the '"story."

Also the beginning opening credits became abridged starting with 2.13 (Jean Renault's death episode). The bird, the smoke stakes, sawmill were all cut. After the "previously on Twin Peaks" segment it would start with the music swelling and cut right to the sign post and the show title.

After the hiatus and the last six episodes came back on, I believe the kickoff episode had it back again (I might be wrong) -but then the next three were back to the abridged version. And of course, the last two episodes were pulled. When they ran them in June as one episode -they put the full credits back on -including Ray Wise! I believe the David Lynch episode credits of guest stars ran in the Miss Twin Peaks portion -with it being divided as "Part One directed by..." and "Part Two directed by..." and the Lucy/Andy moment not having any credits play over them. (I might be wrong though, I know I still have the video tape and have to dig it up -nerdville, here I come!)
The DVDs and video tapes have the full credits on all episodes.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

For the record: I've noticed that Catherine Coulson appears with the "K" (Katherine Coulson) but don't remember what episode...
Roomservice...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Are you sure you don't mean Katherine Martell? In the pilot, Piper Laurie ends the credits as this.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Full text for all credits appear on TwinPeaks.org... they've been there for almost 20 years now. :)

There is a weird bug though, and you have to save the file to your computer, then add the .txt extension.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Jared,

I had seen that but I should have been more specific. I was trying to see if Sheryl was featured in what I consider the main credits rather than when the Episode actually starts and what the background image was.

For instance, in Episode 8, it starts

- Buzzsaw -
Twin Peaks - Title
Starring
Kyle Maclachlan
Michael Ontkean

- Log -

- Twin Peaks Sign -
Madchen Amick
etc.

- Great Northern Falls -
Ray Wise
Joan Chen
etc.

- Water/River -
Sheryl Lee
etc.

- River with Tree Shadow -
Angelo Badalamenti

- Episode Credits overlay -
- Great Northern Night -
Directed by David Lynch

Audrey,

Here is the screen cap of the Sheryl Credit over the Water/River background that I was referring to:
Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 8.08.02 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-05-11 at 8.08.02 AM.png (492.91 KiB) Viewed 10600 times
I'm mainly interested in where Sheryl Lee appears in terms of the variations (i.e. Water/River, Episode Credits) but mainly if she appears before the water portion in any of the Episode credits.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

No. That's the only time she's in the opening credits, and that's because there isn't a commercial break. She's still grouped with the guest stars or reoccurring players.

The opening credits is based on a contract signed by the performers.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Audrey Horne wrote:Are you sure you don't mean Katherine Martell? In the pilot, Piper Laurie ends the credits as this.
Audrey maybe you're right. I have not time to watch it to tell you for sure. Anyway Sheryl Lee appears many times in the opening credits!
Roomservice...
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

When?

Unless it was changed in other markets, during the U.S run the opening credits stay the same (with the exception of Kimmy being added to the second season, and Ray Wise leaving after 2.09.)

Sheryl Lee always appears in the second round of players which was always after the commercial break except for -as was pointed out- during the expanded second season premiere opening in which there was no break. (even then it was still kept divided as the main cast and after "and Joan Chen as Jocelyn Packard" it went to the next tier of "also starring" and "guest stars.") It never went "Warren Frost ... Sheryl Lee... Peggy Lipton..."
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Here in Finland the first commercial break comes in about 15 minutes after the show has started, so we had all the titles in one row. I always thought that all titles that had this golden reddish tint and the flowing water of the river belonged to opening credits. And Sheryl Lee is mentioned on those. Quest stars, producers, writers and director came on screen when the episode itself had started. But as I said, all this was shown without any breaks.

It is probably like that for many europeans.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I'm going to post some pictures of the opening credit with "sheryl lee"! I think something changed from US to Italy! :roll:
Roomservice...
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

I just re-watched every opening credit of TP. And i was wrong. Sheryl Lee appears but not in the opening credits. Just when the episode starts... Cheers! :mrgreen:
Roomservice...
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Audrey Horne: Kimmi was added with the second season -there was a blurb in the papers about her being upgraded because she was a fan favorite prior to the premiere.

I think she's credited (as Lucy Morgan) in the end credits in the pilot episode, which would make her the only cast member to move from end credits (pilot) to 'also starring' list (season one) to the main credits (season two)

Does anyone know why some actors alternate between being listed in the 'also starring' roll call and the end credits? (eg Sylvia Horne, Major Briggs, Eileen Hayward - it's possible that a lot of these are only on the end credits in the pilot, come to think of it).

Or why some remain on the end credits even when their role becomes substantial? (eg Dwayne Milford, Andrew Packard, pretty much all the Lodge inhabitants)