Podcast with Matt Haley

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Podcast with Matt Haley

Post by Jerry Horne »

Check out this Podcast with Matt Haley over at Nerdy Show. Matt goes into a little more detail about where the writers wanted Season 3 to go. Just a few tidbits like Audrey would be in the hospital for a long time, maybe end up in a wheelchair. Also, Annie would be in a coma etc. Check it out:

http://nerdyshow.com/?p=1717
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Re: Podcast with Matt Haley

Post by Audrey Horne »

well, that was a fun way to spend the morning.

great fine, Jerry. Matt was very insightful and had a lot of good tidbits. He was also just a good interviewee.

I don't think there is really anything we didn't already know, but it's more about the details. I got a chuckle hearing that they couldn't remember anything about what was supposed to happen to James- maybe newer viewers don't realize Marshall left the show (or maybe he would come back since he signed on to FWWM).

Wonder how they would have dealt with Annie- is she just carted off somewhere staying in a coma, especially since Graham was a guest star and beginning her film career? I imagine she'd come out of the coma if the show ever had an official series finale (seasons later) and make a final guest appearance.

I like the image of Audrey and Ben in hospital beds (comas?) holding hands. And the twinning of Audrey in a wheelchair like Donna's mother. But I really wanted to hear anything about what happened to Pete. I sincerely doubt they'd get rid of Nance -but would have liked to hear a tidbit of what spin they'd put on it.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Thanks for that link, Jerry. It's a very interesting interview. The thing I found really interesting is how much work it sounds like they did on the book before Lynch eventually nixed it. A lot more was plotted out and sketched than I had originally thought. I just wished that he'd checked with Lynch in the first place so he could have saved himself the work and the heartache! I really wish this project had been allowed to proceed, it sounds like it could have been really cool.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yep, just a very few more little details goes a long way for me. Sometimes when I'm in Twin Peaks mode, thinking about season three provides a lot of fun all these years later. Annie in a coma would be fun. Maybe we would see flashbacks ala Ronette?
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

*sigh* just listened to the podcast. Heartbreaking. I will always be annoyed at Lynch for nixing this project; for people who wanted a conclusion, it would have been one, and for those who are happy with the series as is, they could have just ignored it. I loved the notion of getting Angelo Badalementi to do a score for the graphic novel, that would have been sooo cool. I love Lynch, but he was being kind of selfish on this one. On occasion, it is ok to think of the fans. if Lynch has plans one day for Peaks, that is one thing, but if not, then this just sucks. Just my opinion of course. Maybe they can try again when the Blu Ray set comes out....maybe DL was just in a bad mood that week? Ok, probably not.....
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

whoever is saying that wild at heart was shot after twin peaks wrapped is full of it! taking everything he said with a grain of salt...

edit-apparently it is matt
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

There has been so much confusion over the years about when exactly did Lynch shoot WAH. Mostly people like to say he was absent in season two because he was off filming WAH. Well, I just asked Paula Shimatsu and she told me he starting filming in the middle of season one (most likely right after he directed episode 2) Now, like most people, she was really busy and was not exactly keeping a timesheet of when things were shot, however, this is what she remembers. She should know as she shot some photos on the set to WAH as well as TP.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I don't remember Matt saying that in the interview. It could just be a game of telephone though -folklore through the years. All I remember is him saying Lynch was there, and was disputing the rumors -just that he checked out when the network forced the decision. I'll have to relisten.

I'm going to say Lynch shot Wild after he shot the pilot, and before he shot the third episode. The shooting script for the first season is all happening in the fall/winter of 1989, and Wild at Heart premiered at Cannes in May 1990. There's no way that film was completed in a few months and with Lynch working on a series. Also, you can tell by Fenn's hair length.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

There has been so much confusion over the years about when exactly did Lynch shoot WAH.
Some rumours are more stupid than others. WaH debuted at the Cannes festival and won the Palme d'or in May 1990. At this point, the second season of Twin Peaks wasn't even, or had just been, greenlit (IIRC, Frost is on record saying on the Donahue show saying it was just greenlit) - much less written or filmed. In between WaH's debut and its US premiere, Lynch found time to film the equivalent of three episodes. And then AFTER the US premiere date, he's busy with Wild at Heart? It makes no sense.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Stupid perhaps, but the confusion is very understandable. From 'Lynch on Lynch' (p 182) by Chris Rodley:

Rodley: "Is it true that you were less involved in the second series, because you were off making Wild at Heart?"

Lynch: "Right. That started...in the second season I was, you know, removed from it."
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Yeah, I knew about that quote. My guess is that Lynch only answered half the question, as is common when journalists ask two questions at once. (I've been guilty of that myself, and the answers often sound weird upon playback.)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

I still question this whole thing with Lynch nixing the graphic novel. From what I recall, and I know I've been half corrected on this before, Haley wanted the novel included in the gold box set. Lynch nixed that idea as he wanted the box set to only be stuff related to the show. So Haley could actually do the graphic novel, he just wanted monetary support and didn't get that, so Haley himself decided not to continue the project. And that's understandable, as he wouldn't get paid to do it.

Can anyone point me to the thread where we talked about this before?