Best Way to watch fwwm and Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Re: Best Way to watch fwwm and Twin Peaks?

Post by Leo K »

Very interesting thread!

I'm looking forward to watching the Second Sight DVD to see the theatrical print again, after all these years. I have forgotten that the original color was cooler in tone.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Audrey Horne wrote:oh boy, charles. You just opened a whole big can of shit, huh?
Dear Audrey Horne,
Once again, you're amazing.
Love, Charles
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Interesting discussion!

The first time I saw FWWM was from the MK2 DVD release and I guess it was only a few years ago. (Being the young 'un that I am :wink: ) I got to the end and was literally sat there... jaw dropped wide open wondering "What in the hell was THAT!" Admittedly, that's not the only time I've had such a reaction after a Lynch film. It's generally my standard reaction... but this one was, I must say, based on feelings of... betrayal....

Which is ridiculous! I'm not used who was betraying me, or what was being betrayed... but that's how I felt. For me, it wasn't the tone of the film. I had been repeatedly warned by this forum and the Twin Peaks Gazette that it was dark, much darker than the series. And I like dark-Lynch.
My problem was with the details. Missing characters, summertime, different locations (to the extent that it was glaringly obvious), a new Donna....
I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I am in love with continuity. FWWM has too many problems to retain continuity (or maybe it's backwards continuity with a prequel?!! ) I've never been able to get over it enough to appreciate that there's a damn good film underneath all those flaws! I'm due another 'watch' and this time I'll try to be less critical since it's perfectly possible that the deleted scenes would make up much ground for me. And I suppose, many of the flaws that irritate me were logistical problems facing the production team... Would I rather Lynch didn't make FWWM because Lara Flynn Boyle refused to reprise her role? Nope. Not at all. I'm glad FWWM exists despite its problems and I hope that one day I'll get over my issues with it and appreciate it as a stand alone film.

Huh. That was longer than I had intended! And I have no technological expertise to offer, unlike some of you!
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

iar wrote:My problem was with the details. Missing characters, summertime...
...it's perfectly possible that the deleted scenes would make up much ground for me.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I am absolutely convinced that with the Deleted Scenes, FWWM would be a compltely different movie and that many of them would have pushed the film over to feeling much more like the Series.

Jack Nance, for instance I believe was featured in every single Episode of the Series as well as almost every single Lynch film up till his untimely death. His presence alone would have gone a great way to making the film feel more like it is living in the same world as the Pilot. Same goes for Big Ed's Gas Farm, the Saw Mill, the Sheriff Station, and even the Great Northern (which sadly was scripted but one of the few scenes that was not actually fimed for the movie)

Still, for all its worth, aside from what I feel now is botched color timing on the recent transfers by MK2 and New Line, I still love this film and will always feel that it enriches the Series and the Twin Peaks world for me.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I'm glad you agree dugpa. I feel as though you could draw up a list of FWWM "errors", some of which can never be corrected (ie no Lara Flynn Boyle) but others which could be scribbled off the list with the release of deleted scenes. I'm convinced you'd end up with a much shorter list. Add the missing characters and revert to muted colours and you suddenly have less problems. I'd love (like all of us) to watch FWWM as a longer film in different colour and see how I felt... I honestly think I'd feel very differently.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

As a huge fan of FWWM, I felt the need to come out in its defense. I would ask those who are bothered by inconsistencies between the pilot and FWWM: how come you are not bothered by the many inconsistencies between the pilot and rest of the series? To name a few examples: the fact that California and Washington look absolutely nothing alike (where have all those trees gone??), that the interiors look like obvious sets rather than real places from the pilot, Audrey's hair, etc. etc. The point is I feel that the general distaste/hatred of FWWM by many series fans has more to do with the fact that the film is simply nothing like the series and thus can never fulfill the expectations to be a two-hour series finale that the show never had (which it doesn't seem like Lynch cared for anyway).

Personally, I don't mind the inconsistencies in FWWM (or the series, for that matter) because I find Laura Palmer's story to be that compelling and fascinating. Yes, the weather is nothing like in the pilot but at least it looks like WA. The wig is bad, but it doesn't distract me from Sheryl Lee's brilliant performance. I miss the other TP characters, but I think they would detract from Laura's story. I know I'm in tiny minority when I say that I think Moira Kelly fits Donna's character better and is also a better actress than Lara Flynn Boyle (if Kelly were originally cast in the series, no one would ever question it). And yes, I do like the FWWM Palmer house better because even though it goes against the description in the diary, I am fascinated by this idea that this horror is going on in a middle of a busy suburban neighborhood, surrounded by other people and houses, and yet no one realizes or cares enough to do anything about it. To me, that is much more frightening and disturbing than anything going on in a desolate wood with no soul around.

I don't mean to start an argument (Charles, Audrey, you know I love you guys!) but I had to play the devil's advocate. My point is this: any real TP fan should watch the movie and make up their own mind.
evdama

Post by evdama »

I agree with Donna being played by Moira Kelly-she scrubs up well for One Tree Hill while LFB sucked in one of those stupid MIB flicks.
The FWWM Pink Room scene is best with headphones at loud volume,with no subtitles (and even slightly drunk in a smoky room-just like being there!)