Entering Twin Peaks for the first time

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fire
Roadhouse Member

Entering Twin Peaks for the first time

Post by Fire »

Hello fellow Peaks freaks. I am a 22 year old Californian who discovered Twin Peaks about a month ago. In that time span I have fallen in love and experienced something quite unlike any other. I'll put it this way, I'm not a TV person. Never have been. I do not own any DVD collections of TV series outside of Granada's Sherlock Holmes.

Rewind to a month ago.

I beat Deadly Premonition. A video game that has been sitting on my desk, untouched, for quite some time. Ends up it's a ridiculously awesome game that had me googling fan sites so I could delve deeper into the mythos and symbolism. This led to a handful of people saying "You must try out Twin Peaks!"

I was reluctant at first, but when I noticed Twin Peaks was on Netflix I had no excuse. It is 2PM on my first of two days off from work. I start the pilot.

I did not stop watching until 6AM.

I laughed, I cried, I drowned myself in the symbolism, I could feel the omnipresent darkness breath on my shoulder, and I fell in love with this world.

Woke up at 11AM and did it all over again.

You ever feel like a show was made for you?

Anyways, before i turn this into a ramble I'll get to the point. I'll never be able to experience what it was like to be around for Twin Peaks in 1990-1991, as I could barely even talk back then. Ask any of my friends, and right now 90% of the time all I want to do is talk about Twin Peaks. Unfortunately none of my friends share the interest nor desire to try out the show. So I'll fuel all the discussion here hehe.

Do you remember your first memory of Twin Peaks? What was it like? What did you feel?
perno
Roadhouse Member

Re: Entering Twin Peaks for the first time

Post by perno »

Fire wrote:Do you remember your first memory of Twin Peaks? What was it like? What did you feel?
I've discovered TP (and Lynch) in a rather strange way.

I'm French. Remember this.

At highschool, a very unconventionnal English teacher used to show us movies. In English of course and with no subtitles (hard for us to understand everything). We could only see about 30 minutes of a movie at once. Watching a full movie was a 4 weeks job.

I've discovered Blue Velvet and, shortly after, Twin Peaks this way.
Awfull isn't it ?

Impossible for me to understand anything from these movies (foreign language + splitted in four + lynch = what the fuck is this ?) but I've just loved these movies. I then had a very hard time to see the tv show. DVD weren't available at this time, there was no tape for the european market and I was unable to read video tapes from the states...
When the pilot's tape became available, I've watched this one many many times...
So I perfectly understand what you feel. :)

Welcome to the TP world, fellow. :)
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Welcome to TP! Glad to have you joining us.

I'm older than you, but I was still pretty young (around 10 or 11) when TP premiered in 1990, but I remember being really intrigued and a little scared by all of the TV ads at the time for it. I was really curious to see it, but my parents were pretty protective at the time and kept an eye on what I was watching, and wouldn't let me. I kept hearing about it all the time on the news, hearing the teachers talking about it among themselves (i.e., "did you see the dream with the dwarf? what was that about??" "who or what is this BOB character?" "what do the owls and the stoplights mean?", etc.), and it just made me really eager to see it.

About a year later, the int'l version of the pilot was released on VHS, and a friend of mine had gotten ahold of it. So I watched it with some friends, and I was completely bewitched by it. By the end of the opening title sequence, I'd say I was pretty much head over heels in love with it, and this just increased as I watched the mystery unfold over the next 2 hours. I loved the music, I loved the misty Pacific Northwest locations, I loved Agent Cooper, and I just loved the whole tone and mood of it, and how every 5 minutes, it felt like we were peeling back another layer of the onion. I couldn't get it out of my head and I was desperate to watch more, but in "real time" on ABC, the show was in its later episodes of Season 2 (when it was actually on the air, which was getting increasingly rare) and was pretty clearly on the way out.

A couple years passed, but I never forgot it, so when Bravo started airing reruns of it in 1993 or so, I made sure to tune in. I remember TP was on at 8 and a brand new show called The X-Files was on Fox at 9, and it was like 2 hours each week of pure bliss. At any rate, from there I became pretty much full-on obsessed. I taped each episode of TP off of Bravo and would circulate to my friends so we could all discuss, and succeeded in getting a bunch of people at my high school into it, and listened to the soundtrack on repeat ad nauseum. Over the next couple years, I subscribed to Wrapped in Plastic, became a frequent poster on alt.tv.twin-peaks, and got my hands on anything and everything I could TP-related, and I've pretty much been a dyed-in-the-wool fan ever since!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I was nine years old when Twin Peaks started. I was in my bedroom, playing Nintendo on a little TV that I used primarily for video games. My mother came up to my room because she wanted to use the TV. Apparently my father was watching a movie downstairs. I was annoyed, but I turned off the Nintendo and let her watch her show. And it was the pilot of Twin Peaks.

Even at nine, I was already a horror-movie buff, and loved mystery films and thrillers, so I was immediately drawn in. I watched the full pilot with her, and was transfixed. Episode 1 aired a few days later but I forgot it would be on (or at that age, maybe I wasn't fully aware that the amazing thing I watched was actually a series pilot). Anyway, I distinctly remember being at my cousin's house (he was my age). We were playing upstairs and I ran by the living room at one point where my grandparents were watching TV, and heard that familiar Angelo music. It was the scene when Leo knocks the pie out of Shelly's hands and then beats her with the soap in the sock. I sat down and watched the rest of the episode, and never got to see the first half-hour of Episode 1 until I caught a re-run.

I became obsessed with this series instantly, and got several of my other 9- and 10-year-old friends into the series. (Looking back, I can't imagine how peculiar this must have seemed to parents of my childhood friends -- or maybe lots of other people who were that young were also interested in the show?) I had nightmares about BOB for years, into my teens. When I walked into my bedroom, I would always open my closet... to make sure BOB wasn't there. No joke. And I remember, after the final Episode 29 aired, I used to freak myself out a bit at night (as a teenager, I was usually up late at night, watching TV when my parents and sisters had to gone to bed)... if I had to use the bathroom, I would avoid looking at the mirror late at night because I think some part of me really was afraid I'd see BOB's reflection staring back at me. It's funny... I haven't thought about this much lately, but it's all true. Heh.

When Fire Walk With Me came out, my cousin (who was about 17 years old at the time) brought me to the movies to see it. I guess I was 11 years old at that time.

Another random thing I remember -- when I was in college in 2001, I got some of my friends into the series. I bought the series VHS set on Ebay, and it was the first time I'd seen the second-season episodes in many years. And I remember when Episode 25 began (with Jones attacking Truman), I quickly realized, I'd never seen this episode before. I'm not sure how it happened, but I must have missed that one in its original broadcast.

In 2006, I visited a good friend who moved to Seattle. A friend of his heard of my love for Twin Peaks and asked if I might like to see Snoqualmie. I hadn't even thought about asking somebody to drive me there, but we all went for the afternoon and I got to go to the Falls and walked around a bit inside the Salish (?) Lodge. It was unreal. Hopefully one day I'll get my butt to one of the Twin Peaks festivals.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Hi all,

I'm a relatively new Peaker, so I thought this would be a good place to introduce myself and my TP experience. I was about 9 years old during the original US airing, so I unfortunately missed out on the original. My parents were big Cheers fans, so even if I had known about TP I don't think I could have commandeered the TV from them. I ended up getting into Lynch in high school through a good friend; I saw Lost Highway first since it was new, then Blue Velvet. He had Twin Peaks on VHS, but for some reason I never followed through on my desire to borrow them and watch it. Fast forward to this past summer, I finally tried out NetFlix since I was starting a new job in a new town and had plenty of free time. For some reason, Twin Peaks popped into my head immediately and I found it on the streaming library. The obsession had begun. Much like the others here who recently got into TP, I hit the ground running and just binged on Season 1. I made it through season 1 in about two nights and to Maddy's death by the end of the week. I have to admit I slowed down a little bit after that getting up to episode 25, but made it through the final episodes in one marathon session. I went straight through the series a second time recently, trying to really pick up on some of the details, but also just enjoying some of my favorite moments. Of course, I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer to watch season 1 and the first part of season 2, but I can sit down and enjoy pretty much any episode (with the caveat that I skip over every JJ Wheeler scene - sorry partner, she's not your lady). To paraphrase a lame joke: Twin Peaks is like pizza - when it's good it's amazing, and when it's bad it's still pretty good.

Fire, I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. I really want to talk about Twin Peaks with people, but my friends simply haven't seen it or are just getting started and taking their sweet time. So I usually end up reading old threads to get my fix. It reminds me of my X-Files obsession during my middle school years. But I don't think I ever loved X-Files as much I love TP. It's just such a brilliant work with the perfect cast of characters that all came together at the right time. I really found myself enchanted by a lot of the characters in a way I'd never experienced with any TV show or movie, so I guess that's why I find the show to be so awesome. I also find myself making TP references at work even though I'm the only person who gets them. And my friend/co-worker Ann often wonders why I'm always asking how she is, and why I call her Annie. :wink:

Speaking of TP Fest, when do they start having an idea of what cast members will be there? I was considering making a trip out next year, especially with it being the 20th anniversary of FWWM.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

entropy wrote: (with the caveat that I skip over every JJ Wheeler scene - sorry partner, she's not your lady).
Ahhhh I'm the same exact way! I'm entirely offended by the mere existence of Wheeler!

Me and you have a lot in common when it comes to TP Entropy, we followed very much a similar path in discovering the show and I share a lot of the opinions you mentioned.

And speaking of sharing TP, even when I have a friend or two who will sit down and watch it, I feel like they aren't giving it the attention or analysis it deserves. They just kinda see it without really watching it. So then I'm disappointed when they are talking 90% of the time then ask me "Wait who's that!?" or "What just happened?" when their gold fish attention span momentarily tunes in. But alas, I guess it is still nice watching with company.

Since discovering TP I've noticed the urge to drink coffee at night has increased. I've always been a coffee man, but nothing makes coffee more appealing then Twin Peaks.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Fire wrote:Since discovering TP I've noticed the urge to drink coffee at night has increased. I've always been a coffee man, but nothing makes coffee more appealing then Twin Peaks.
Hah, it's funny that you mention that. I've never been a coffee drinker; tried it a few times and just never acquired a taste for it. But in my desire to be more Coop-like, I brought in a mug from home a few weeks ago and braved the coffee maker at work. Sadly, it was not a damn fine cup of coffee. It was the JJ Wheeler of coffee: bland, slimy, and brewed up in about 90 seconds. On the bright side, I feel like I can make up for this due to my fondness for pie.

It's definitely frustrating when you introduce the show to someone that you think will really "get" it, and you just end up being their Cliff's Notes. I do envy that you actually have someone to watch the show with, since you can just hang out and actually share the show in real time. The two people I've managed to get watching are both far away, so it loses some of the magic when you're not there in person.

Slightly-off topic: Ever since someone posted the enhanced "Dual Spires" episode of Psych on YouTube, I've been enamored with that, too. I had streamed it on NetFlix originally and was disappointed when I realized that they'd cut a ton of good stuff out to make it fit the time slot. Come on USA, you can't trim down any of Sherilyn's scenes; she steals the show! It just feels like a natural extension of the TP universe, and it's always fun trying to find new references/nods to the show.