American Horror Story

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

American Horror Story

Post by TheArm »

Just curious, is anyone watching? I gave it a try last night since a large number of my friends and colleagues have been urging me to watch it, most of them telling me "it's just like Twin Peaks!" I had also seen a number of reviews and online commentary which had compared the 2 shows, so I figured I'd give it a try. Besides, I absolutely adored the Friday Night Lights TV series, so I figured if Connie Britton was in it, how bad could it be?

I've now seen the first 4 episodes, and I have to say that I find it pretty dreadful, even with the wonderful Connie Britton. It's scary to me that people think that this is what Twin Peaks was like. By comparison, AHS feels like an artless, absurdly over-the-top, campy mess; I don't think it's even remotely in the same league as TP. Have others on here watched? What are your guys' thoughts on the show? I have to admit I found it so terrible that I'm struggling to understand why it's such a big hit right now, even ignoring the TP comparisons...
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Re: American Horror Story

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I'm watching it and have to admit that i'm totally addicted....having said that, it is nothing like Twin Peaks except on a very superficial level. Where Peaks was all about the slow burn and subtlety, this show is...well, very not. They hit you over the head with a hammer. While Lynch was influenced by many things that showed up in Twin Peaks (50's nostalgia, the Pacific Northwest of his childhood, etc) there aren't so much influences on AHS, more like they just lift freely from every horror movie ever made; the twins from The Shining, Nancy's hair going gray from Nightmare on Elm. Street, Adelade being shoved into the tiny closet by her mother like in Carrie. The list goes on and on. Hell, they even lift iconic pieces of music from Psycho and Bram Stoker's Dracula. I guess all this theft doesn't bother me too much simply because none of these horror movie tropes have ever been used in an ongoing narrative like this. I guess that makes this kind of original in an odd way.

Having said all that, the show is highly watchable trash. It's like Melrose Place with ghosts. And MP was a guilty pleasure back in the day, I never missed it. And then there's the awesome Jessica Lange, who is way too good for this show, but steals every scene she's in. So this show is the true definition of guilty pleasure for me, even more so than the equally trashy and addictive True Blood, because at least on True Blood they seem to be aware of what they are and don't take themselves half as serious as the producers behind American Horror Story seem to do. You can tell they think they're making something arty (uh, no) But it is just so trashy and campy and fun I can't resist it. But it's not Twin Peaks. No sir.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yeah, I'm with you. It's my new guilty pleasure -and to watch with others. I think it's just a lot of fun. No, it's no Peaks (well, maybe mid to late season Peaks) but it's the most addictive serial on TV right now- not that there's really anything else. And Jessica Lange is devouring the scenery.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Yeah, I think I watched it with the wrong frame of mind. I think I had expected it to be a legitimately good/quality/serious/smart horror drama, not a silly camp-fest, which it clearly is. In a way, the fact that it takes itself so seriously makes it feel even sillier than True Blood!
Last edited by TheArm on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

Well, yes... with Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk behind it, it's going to take itself way too seriously and inevitably end up ruining itself within the first series.

Shame. But they have a track record.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

totally.

This one looks like it will just a thirteen episode run and then is renewed for another season -with maybe a new family. So perhaps it will be self contained.

But until we get those very special episodes, enjoy the camp ride. Enjoy Lange and Conroy expert play opposite one another -one shamelessly mugging and the other underplaying. And take a drink everytime Dylan SHOUTS. EVERY. LINE.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Interesting to find this topic here! Was looking through some of the older TP posts and came across this. Seems to be from when Season 1 ("Murder House") was airing. Are people still watching (or did you ever watch anymore) and what do you think? Or did you give up?

I find it very thrashy and nothing like "Twin Peaks", but I enjoyed Season 1 and Season 2 ("Asylum"), which I think is the best and most complex/least thrashy). Season 3 ("Coven") was woeful, too teenagey/comedic - but I loved the New Orleans settings and Kathy Bates so stuck with it for that. As for the latest Season 4 ("Freak Show"), I gave up after Episode 10 and really struggled with up until that point. It was less outright awful than Season 3 but quite dull/boring.

I think the show is way past it's prime now and getting worse year by year. First season was good fun, second season it "PEAKED" (lol, pun not intended!!) - and it's been downhill every since. They seem to start with great concepts and manage a decent first few episodes of each season, but then it seems they can't hold it together anymore and the plots become redundant and all over the place. Great ideas but very bad writing. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Curious to see what others think!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Ygdrasel
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ygdrasel »

Watched a few of the first episodes. It was alright. Haven't felt any strong urge to return.

I think I'll check out Carnivale.
Twin Peaks has layers, man. Twin Peaks is an onion. 8)
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

I watched the first season of AHS and the first few of the second before losing interest. The style and pacing of the first season didn't jive with me, and I started the 2nd thinking, as an anthology series, there's a chance it could be different, but it was more of the same.

The NBC series "Hannibal" may be the show currently on the air that has the best claim to carrying on the torch of pop surrealism. Bryan Fuller has cited Lynch as an influence, and the show has a really appealing, weird aesthetic. And I say this as someone who is really tired of serial killers in fiction, and this show takes place in a universe teeming with serial killers who make elaborate artwork with their victims. It's honestly completely absurd and it's a testimony to the show's style and visuals that I'd even consider wanting to spend time in such a universe.
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

I love American Horror Story, I really see the same vibe that for Twin Peaks, I understand the comparaison between these two amazing show (the same mystery, the "teenage" angle, the weird city and characters, the horror and the paranormal etc...).

Probably my favorite modern show and my favorite after Twin Peaks.
j9
Roadhouse Member

Post by j9 »

I enjoyed the first two seasons, probably the second more so. Didn't care much for the third. It started out well but just got more ridiculous as it went along. I slogged through it hoping it would get better. It didn't. I started watching Freak Show hoping things would turn around but it was even worse with some of the most annoying characters ever. I was hoping for something like a darker Carnivale but it was neither dark, scary or creepy. I gave up after the 5th of 6th episode. At this point I doubt I'll give much consideration to the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I gave up midway through Season 1 because I thought it was just awful, but I've heard enough positive things about "Asylum" that I may give that a try when I have some spare time. And I watched the bits of "Coven" that had Stevie Nicks in them because I adore her, but I still found the show that was happening around her to be utterly ridiculous. My husband is a devoted viewer of it, so he usually shows me the "OMG, you have to see this, they are insane" bits every so often.
Alwaro23

Post by Alwaro23 »

Oh! I love to watch horror movies. Now days, I have added shows by Andy Yeatman to my watch list and that’s the reason I don’t feel like watching anything else. I am glad that I came across this post on time. I have to share this information with my friends.