Garmonbozia, the Ring, Leland's blood and the corn...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

perno
Roadhouse Member

Garmonbozia, the Ring, Leland's blood and the corn...

Post by perno »

Sorry if those seem dumb questions by I have to ask them as I don't find the key by myself and that I can't find satisfying answers from the web.

So...

What is this all about ?

Let's take a look at what I *think* is the truth.

1) We know that MIKE tries to help Laura to fight BOB by giving her the Ring. He first tries to give it in her dream and eventually managed to do so in the train just before Leland killed her.

2) The ring prevent Laura from being possessed by BOB but if forces him to kill her.

3) Garmonbozia (suffering and pain) is food (ambrosia ?) for the inhabitants of the Lodge.

4) BOB's stolen Garmonbozia from MIKE, certainly by killing Laura as the traffic jam scene in the movie seems to suggest it.

5) BOB then give back the Garmonbozia to MIKE by healing Leland's wound.

So... MIKE doesn't want BOB to possess Laura, that's why he tries to give her the ring.
But we also know that he is angry when BOB kills her. Anyway, he seems to prefer this option to possession.

I've read theory saying that BOB was providing Garmonbozia to the Lodge (feeding MIKE and the others). But this seems strange to me...
In this case, why would MIKE disagree with Laura's possession ? BOB could do great things with Laura's body and could certainly gather even more food than with Leland.
I really don't see BOB as a servant. In the finale episode of season two, MIKE congragulates BOB for the possession of Coop. To me, it seems that BOB and MIKE are still friends but that they're also opponents on some kind of (strange) game. Like two old friends playing chess together to 'fight' each other without coming to hands... (reminds me of Professor X and Magneto fighting each other but always indirectly as they're still friend despite their very different points of view)

In my vision, MIKE feeds on Laura's emotions but doesn't need BOB to do so. He doesn't want her to be possessed as he would loose control over her and would not be able to feed on her anymore. Thus, he prefers to get her killed rather than stolen by BOB.
Is there something wrong with this ?

At this point, I wonder what would have happened if Laura had accepted the ring from the dream ???
(And of course I wonder why Coop give her the wrong advice but that's another issue...)

So... Let's say I'm right. MIKE is angry and asks BOB to give back the garmonbozia. Seems to me that BOB has cheated. He shouldn't have killed Laura by the game's rules... MIKE is angry because his friend has gone "too far".
Anyway, BOB does give the corn back by healing Leland's wound. What is the connection between this blood and the corn ?
Does the blood represent Leland's (true ?) pain for having killed his daughter ? BOB, feeding on Leland's emotions, would then give some of his food to compensate for the loss of Laura ? Seems to be a very small compensation, doesn't it ? Maybe there's just nothing more to do to apologize ?

Last point : what does the ring represent ?
I'd say it represents Laura's will to fight his father. When MIKE gives her the ring during her dream, she refuses it as she is not ready to accept that her father is the one who rapes her at night. When she realises who he truly is, she has to choose beetwin fighting him (and dying doing so) and obeying him (accepting BOB's possession).
But what is the connection with Theresa Banks ? I don't think BOB tried to possess her but I might be wrong...
We also know that Chester Desmond disappears when he finds the ring. What does happen to him ?

Well... That's all for the moment.
I hope you can help me and I hope I haven't said too much stupid things.
For my defence, I don't have access to WIP issues nor to any other TP material except for the DVD.

Thanx for reading.
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Re: Garmonbozia, the Ring, Leland's blood and the corn...

Post by Fire »

perno wrote:Sorry if those seem dumb questions by I have to ask them as I don't find the key by myself and that I can't find satisfying answers from the web.
None of these are dumb questions, I have asked myself all of these very same questions all the time. I think their is a beauty to their mystery and less then clear nature. While we can come up with very accurate facts and answers, I don't think they will ever be 100% resolved.

perno wrote:Let's take a look at what I *think* is the truth.

1) We know that MIKE tries to help Laura to fight BOB by giving her the Ring. He first tries to give it in her dream and eventually managed to do so in the train just before Leland killed her.

2) The ring prevent Laura from being possessed by BOB but if forces him to kill her.

3) Garmonbozia (suffering and pain) is food (ambrosia ?) for the inhabitants of the Lodge.

4) BOB's stolen Garmonbozia from MIKE, certainly by killing Laura as the traffic jam scene in the movie seems to suggest it.

5) BOB then give back the Garmonbozia to MIKE by healing Leland's wound.
Everything looks correct here as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if BOB actually "heals" Leland, but that's just semantic.
perno wrote:So... MIKE doesn't want BOB to possess Laura, that's why he tries to give her the ring.
But we also know that he is angry when BOB kills her. Anyway, he seems to prefer this option to possession.

I've read theory saying that BOB was providing Garmonbozia to the Lodge (feeding MIKE and the others). But this seems strange to me...
In this case, why would MIKE disagree with Laura's possession ? BOB could do great things with Laura's body and could certainly gather even more food than with Leland.
I really don't see BOB as a servant. In the finale episode of season two, MIKE congragulates BOB for the possession of Coop. To me, it seems that BOB and MIKE are still friends but that they're also opponents on some kind of (strange) game. Like two old friends playing chess together to 'fight' each other without coming to hands... (reminds me of Professor X and Magneto fighting each other but always indirectly as they're still friend despite their very different points of view)
This is where things get unclear and diluted for me, MIKE's intentions. As far as I'm concerned, MIKE has the most obscure agenda in the entire universe of Twin Peaks. If anyone has a strong fact based idea on MIKE and his intentions, PLEASE don't hesitate to clear some things up! For me, MIKE seems to either be manipulating a whole lot at once or he himself isn't quite sure of what he wants. Seeing the face of god, touched by the devilish one, "use" to kill with each other, wants to help Laura AND obtain the garmonbozia.. I'll admit I'm fresh faced in the Twin Peaks universe but MIKE remains a huge mystery for me.
perno wrote:In my vision, MIKE feeds on Laura's emotions but doesn't need BOB to do so. He doesn't want her to be possessed as he would loose control over her and would not be able to feed on her anymore. Thus, he prefers to get her killed rather than stolen by BOB.
Is there something wrong with this ?
Is there anything in the series of FWWM that would point to Mike feeding on Laura? It would make sense, I just never made this connection.

perno wrote:So... Let's say I'm right. MIKE is angry and asks BOB to give back the garmonbozia. Seems to me that BOB has cheated. He shouldn't have killed Laura by the game's rules... MIKE is angry because his friend has gone "too far".
Anyway, BOB does give the corn back by healing Leland's wound. What is the connection between this blood and the corn ?
Does the blood represent Leland's (true ?) pain for having killed his daughter ? BOB, feeding on Leland's emotions, would then give some of his food to compensate for the loss of Laura ? Seems to be a very small compensation, doesn't it ? Maybe there's just nothing more to do to apologize ?
It is quite clear that BOB has cheated and MIKE then demands the compensation. And I would 100% agree that the blood does represent Leland's profound and unfathomable pain for having killed his daughter. That must've been some damn fine tasty garmonbozia.
perno wrote:Last point : what does the ring represent ?
And this is where my knowledge becomes irrelevent. Next to MIKE's intentions, the Owl Cave ring mystery is something i only have my own theory and those from the internet to run off of. From what I gather and see when watching FWWM, the Ring weds you to MIKE, essentially making you belong to him.

But this only seems true for Laura.

What the hell happened to Chet?
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

Fire wrote:Is there anything in the series of FWWM that would point to Mike feeding on Laura? It would make sense, I just never made this connection.
The ring of course !

I've been thinking about it since I've made this topic (I assume writting all this has helped me to clear my mind...)

Let's say BOB and MIKE are playing a game. The goal is to control Laura. One of them (BOB) tries to achieve it by all means, the other wants to win by fair means (MIKE). In fact, MIKE wants Laura to accept his possession. He wants her to marry him i.e. to accept the Ring.
If this is true, the sentence "you stole the corn" might refer to the dream when Coop told Laura not to take the Ring. In this case, we can only accept that it is not the good coop, but the bad one, controlled by BOB (Lodge and the time...)

At the end, MIKE wins but BOB cheats, killing Laura when he realises he lose the game.
that's why MIKE is so angry.

If this is correct, we can say that all of this has already happened with Theresa. Theresa beeing married to MIKE and BOB killing her in the end...
In the fraffic jam scene, I've always assumed that the "miss the look on her face when it was opened" refered to Laura and it's plastic. It might in fact refer to Theresa.

Of course, this will happen again. With Coop ? (wow, BOB, wow)

What do you think of it ?

Edit : of course, if two once parteners now fighting each others using pawns to control a woman reminds you Windom Earl/Dale Cooper's story, it's just a coincidence.
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

perno wrote:
Fire wrote:Is there anything in the series of FWWM that would point to Mike feeding on Laura? It would make sense, I just never made this connection.
If this is true, the sentence "you stole the corn" might refer to the dream when Coop told Laura not to take the Ring. In this case, we can only accept that it is not the good coop, but the bad one, controlled by BOB (Lodge and the time...)
I see a lot of people who feel this way, but the delivery just seemed very sincere and nothing about it pointed to it being the bad coop. I guess it's a possibility, but it didn't cross my mind before I read people mentioning it on the internet.

Outside of that, I do agree with you on your other points about MIKE and BOB's game of garmonbozia.