What was supposed to happen in Season 3? Anyone know?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

What was supposed to happen in Season 3? Anyone know?

Post by rocketsan22 »

Anyone? :)
Juan Franela

Post by Juan Franela »

I don't remember where I read this, so I'll have to track it down for you. But I remember something about an Easter pageant and a football game. I'm not sure if this was just wishful thinking on one person's part or not. I'm recalling this from way back when the Internet was in its infancy, and I'm almost certain I read this in an interview (maybe "Lynch on Lynch", "Full of Secrets", or an old issue of WIP). Regardless, it was a basic outline. I don't think the entire story arc was ever fleshed out. I'll try to track down that info for you.

I also recall that some folks started work on scripts. I know that there is a group of folks who began work on the cancelled "fifth year" on the original voyage of the Starship Enterprise. A few episodes were made and are available on the web. I wonder if a group of Peak Phreaks will ever do something similar--though I can't imagine anyone but Kyle as Cooper (and Norma and Shelley...there is no substitute!).
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."
oldmandentures

Post by oldmandentures »

i remember my brother telling me that they were going to send someone with an innocent soul or something into the lodge as anyone like that could survive (ANDY is who i heard) So yeah, they were going to send andy into the lodge to get cooper. Dont know if theres any truth to that though......
Juan Franela

Post by Juan Franela »

Okay. I'm definitely pulling the Passion Play stuff from the "Twin Peaks: Access Guide to the Town" (p.68), but I swear I read something somewhere about this being a part of the third season in another source.

Maybe it's just me, but I can almost imagine some sort of Cooper as Christ analogy. But, yes, Andy as unblemished lamb works, too (though he is the father of Lucy's child, which means, gasp!, fornication out of wedlock).

Of course, this is all conjecture. But if anyone remembers anything else, please chime in.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Cool, I'd like to know more. Were there any WIP articles about this? Seems like I read that Season 3 would focus on Cooper spliting into 2 people or something like that. Of course the arch of the season was Coop reintergrating himself.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Not much was planned though. I remember reading an interview with one of the writers i think, who did say that Major Briggs would play a bigger role and maybe try and rescue Cooper from the BL.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Not much was planned though. I remember reading an interview with one of the writers i think, who did say that Major Briggs would play a bigger role and maybe try and rescue Cooper from the BL.
This I do remember hearing...
wall

Post by wall »

I recall reading a quote from Engels that at some point in the series they planned to shift to "25 years later" (recalling Laura saying "I'll see you again in 25 years" in the waiting room/lodge), and that Coop would be working in a hardware store.
tj o'pootertoot

Post by tj o'pootertoot »

A hardware store? Yikes.

so many years later it's hard to forget what a weird choice it was for Lynch to do the "Twin Peaks Movie" as a prequel.

I find FWWM to be a misunderstood movie in some respects but it still has many things that are great. On the other hand, it's dense and occasionally impetrenable I can't help that think there are some things Lynch couldn't explain even if he wanted to (ie all the David Bowie stuff, the monkey...).

That said - I think the best scenario for all concerned would have been to do a movie (either instead of or in addition to FWWM) to tie everything up. A Briggs-centred S3 doesn't interest me and as much as I admire the ballsy S2 cliffhanger (perhaps the single best TP episode, IMHO) I think Lynch/Frost could and should have done a movie to tie it all up.

That doesn't mean it had to be a nice little bow - it could still have been a Lynchie movie just as dark as FWWM. I just get the impression that had their been an S3, even with Lynch/Frost having more creative control, it would not have been as strong as TP should and could be.
It's too late now but a couple of years after FWWM an HBO-type movie would have been perfect. Oh, well...
How's that for a rambling?
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I posted this over at the Twin Peaks Gazette boards, but didn't get much of a response. I think the only way to ever see a "Season 3" is in comic book form. Aside from being a huge movie geek, I'm also a huge comic book geek as well. This week I picked up Wizard magazine which had a one page article on Cult TV Shows that have found new life in comics, most notably with Joss Whedon continuing both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly in comic book form. The article suggested new "seasons" of shows like Lost, The Twilight Zone, and of course Twin Peaks. They also suggested the writer/artist teams for each book. Here's what they said about Peaks;

TWIN PEAKS:

Written by David Lynch Art by Steve Dillon

"Might as well get the man himself to continue the adventures of the characters he created in the quirky, early 90's mystery. The unusual world of Twin Peaks would only be enhanced by Dillon's clean and clear style, noted for his spot-on facial expressions. Picking up where the series left off, Lynch could finish off the storyline he originally intended before Peaks got the axe in 1991."

Now, I highly doubt David Lynch has much interest in writing a comic book based on Twin Peaks ( or really anything else ) but based on interviews given around the time Fantastic Four came out, Mark Frost IS a comic book fan. I'd love to see him tackle "Season 3" of Twin Peaks, maybe along with other series writers, or maybe even certain comic books writers who were fans of the show. Even if they don't do sequels to the show, there are tons of stories about Dale Cooper before arriving in Twin Peaks, or stories about the town outside of the framework of the show, that could be told really well in the graphic novel format. Actually, i'm kind of shocked this has not happened already. I wonder if Lynch and Frost are just really possesive about Twin Peaks in any other media. Since It seems that there will never be any new Twin Peaks film, I think this would be the next best thing, even better than prose novels, as Twin Peaks was such a visual experience. It seems to be working for a lot of other "cult" properties, why not Twin Peaks? What do you all think?
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I'm pretty sure that Robert Engles gave an interview in WIP where he said they had not planned much for Season Three as the writing was pretty much on the wall that the show was going to get canceled.

He did say that they might jump ahead in time some, at least so that the "kids" were out of high school, and that they probably would have moved away from the "one episode equals one day" way the show had been working.

Other than "saving" Cooper, I don't think I've heard, Lynch, Frost, Engles or Harley Peyton ever mention plot lines for Season Three.

It would have been interesting to see who came back. What would have been the fate of Pete, Audrey, and Leo? Would James have come back to town? (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that James Marshall was expected to return).
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Geekericboy74;

I think a comic is an excellent idea. I haven't read comics in a long time but I have Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 on reserve at my local comics shop. I love it. I think Mark Frost would be an awesome choice for writer for a limited edition TP comic. I don't know artists enough now to recommend one but it looks like there are plenty of talents artists out there to do pencils, inks and color.

For TP comics I would like a season 3 limited run then the 25 years later limited.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Pierre Tremond

Season 3 and Beyond

Post by Pierre Tremond »

One could very much debate whether Lynch had intended for anything in the finale to be resolved, at least on television. As I remember it, the initial plan for the film was not a prequel, but Kyle MacLachlan was burnt out and didn't want to committ to starring in the film, and that's when they changed it to a prequel focusing on Laura Palmer.

The shame of it, is that the only real direct reference to the Series Finale made in the film is made by the worst actress in the history of the show, Heather Graham.

Since there is no way that David Lynch will ever go back to Twin Peaks, my hope is that someday, a talented show creator/producer does a remake series, that takes the basis for the show, murder mystery in a small town, and changes it up a bit, changes who the killer is, etc. Not that I necessarily want to get rid of the whole human parasite/Black Lodge thing, but if the human host was different, that would fix things. And they could get rid of the things that didn't work (I'm looking right at you, Hurley/Marsh subplot) and add new ideas, and without pressure from a network, they could take their time with it.

That was the thing that killed Peaks, that the network forced them to resolve things way too quickly. It sucked that the Windom Earle thing was being set up so great, and then you have that shot of him just haphazardly wiping the chess board clean, because they HAD to spring the Black Lodge plot way ahead of schedule.
tj o'pootertoot

Post by tj o'pootertoot »

This may be more of a question/comment for the movie thread but...it's interesting, given that Lynch/Frost were "pressured" to reveal the killer, to consider how things turned out.

I mean, firstly, did they know it was going to be Leland or was it a decision they had to make at some point?
I'm rewatching S1 now, leading into my new S2 discs and it's funny trying to remember the mindset of watching it live, thinking, "Yeah...that Leo guy must have done it!"

Given that they were so adverse to revealing the killer it's interesting that when Lynch made a movie he positively wallowed in the events leading up to the killing including all sorts of explanation about Leland/BOB. (Of course he also introduced all sorts of tangential stuff and all sorts of new questions...)

TJ
Pierre Tremond

The Neverending Story

Post by Pierre Tremond »

As I have read it, Lynch and Frost will swear up and down on a stack of bibles that they had the specific killer combo in mind, but they certainly didn't want to reveal it right away, and not in 14 episodes like it ended up being. ABC succumbed to the pressure of what fans were left as the audience dwindled on Saturdays at 10pm....Lynch mentioned that if it had been up to him, the mystery wouldn't get solved until the series finale, seasons later.

But all of these mystery-based shows can only maintain for so long before people get tired with it and just want it resolved. (See: X-Files, Lost)