Twin Peaks Gazette Message Board

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks Gazette Message Board

Post by Jerry Horne »

qbin2001 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Of course, what he was mainly known for was posting wildly off-topic crap in every section.
Oh! That's why I never had a chance to stick to that Board. Every time i tried i found lots of garbage in the topics, that I hadn't enough strength to go through it. Finding something interesting was hard. Too bad, some conversation was really interesting.
Well, what's past is past. Hopefully they can find some of the more interesting threads (thank you Gordon and SourDust etc!)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

all I have to say, yet again, it had no way to do with members from the Gazette. any member at all. I was mod for years at that place.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Jerry Horne wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Of course, what he was mainly known for was posting wildly off-topic crap in every section.
Oh! That's why I never had a chance to stick to that Board. Every time i tried i found lots of garbage in the topics, that I hadn't enough strength to go through it. Finding something interesting was hard. Too bad, some conversation was really interesting.
Well, what's past is past. Hopefully they can find some of the more interesting threads (thank you Gordon and SourDust etc!)
It did start to dry up in terms of a lot of the old members visiting, or at least posting, and then Sourdust and Gordon re-kindled some of the old magic by fanning the flames and they brought up some really awesome in-depth threads concerning certain episodes, characters, etc. Hopefully they'll be resurrected because i spent HOURS reading some of those. Great stuff.

I miss the board, i used to lurk there as a teenager before signing up and remember loads of awesome threads/people, but it really was just dying on it's feet so i can totally understand why it was put to rest.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Miss it or not, obviously I can understand the decision, too. However, I am very much looking forward to what Amanda posted a while ago:
KahlanMnel wrote: we're working on culling the best discussion threads from the Gazette which Jordan will then have available somewhere on his website (not sure exactly where yet, still sifting through well over a thousand threads of just TP/FWWM discussions...oy).

:!: :!: :!:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Jeepers! I'll be able to reread BOB1's old nonsense theories... :D

Golly! I haven't been this excited since evil Cooper punctured his future wife Annie's aorta... :D
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

Rebel wrote:all I have to say, yet again, it had no way to do with members from the Gazette. any member at all. I was mod for years at that place.
Fine, say it again. Regular members visited and posted less and fewer new members joined. Technically the closure was nothing to do with member behaviour but - as a mod - you must have seen that old members were posting less. That plus the general nuttiness of a few cranks made TPG a place many of us didn't want to be in the last year. Posts by Amanda, Gordon, Sourdust and you weren't worth the crazy garbage that silted up the forums.
Rebel, tell me I'm wrong and that TPG was flourishing and retaining members and gaining new ones when Jordan closed it.
I think the break down of this thread is roughly 9:1 of people who feel that TPG was in trouble for a long while before it closed.
We know it was Jordan who pulled the plug - and we are all grateful for his hard work over the years - and that he quite rightly was thinking about his family. Technically, you are right. But the crazies killed the board for a lot of us the year before.
So, aren't we both right?
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Astronomical reparations should be made by those responsible.
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

You have a point Montana, but there were other posters who left long before the psychos and weirdos' presence was more notorious... Guys like Nefud, Geoff or Jordan himself wrote excellent theories and stuff a long time ago, but they stopped visiting or writing about TP... I guess that after many years they simply had already written EVERYTHING they had to say about TP and felt they were repeating themselves and lost interest (not about TP, but posting about it)... Well, actually I don't know their reasons, but myself I stopped writing as much because of that...

The truth is that the Gazette's best moment happened many, many years ago (2002-2004? Something like that...), with so many excellent posters, mind blowing theories, the Create-A-Caption genius,... Since then until its disappearance it's been slowly downhill... TP was unfortunately a short series and while complex there's a moment where there isn't anything new to say about it, well, about its story... About the show itself, its making, etc. there are so many things that I still discover, thanks to Jerry's blogs and now Dugpa (amazing stuff you guys do about the music for example!)...
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

I agree, Gordon. There's only a limited number of things to talk about re TP after you get past a certain point. Also the fact that the long-anticipated film IE turned out to be...well, not universally popular with DL fans, did have an effect. Because TPG was also a DL forum and I like DL in general more than TP. The lost scenes from FWWM could have revived TPG but who knows when we'll see them...
itsbeen20yrs

Post by itsbeen20yrs »

Hi again all - yes it's really good to see TPG members over here. I was "pineweasel" on TPG...not that I posted a whole lot or gave meaningful insight, but it's nice to know who's over here now. 8)

Even though the forum has closed, some may not know that TPG is still up and running - like "Project Red Room" with its analyses that are great to go back and read...

http://twinpeaksgazette.com/tp/section.cfm?sectionid=5
jordan

Post by jordan »

Hey guys,

As some have said, Jordan and I made the decision to close the board, not because of members attitudes or anything of the like, but because it was just time to move on to other phases of our lives.

Jordan is insanely busy at work, we've started up a consulting business that we do on the side that has gotten quite busy, I've started a non-profit business for our community, and with two children (one in preschool, and the other a very free-spirited <ahem dramatic, high maintenance> toddler), we just didn't have time to really devote the time needed to continue the board.

Over the past year, we've noticed the decline. It wasn't missed, as some of you might think. We've spent a year figuring out what we wanted to do. Our whole goal for the board was for it to be member-run, and we made that very public a few years ago when there was in-fighting between members. We took the attitude that we weren't going to be babysitters and we were not going to fight battles. Everyone on the board agreed to that, and we did well with that for a few years.

Our message board went through seasons. We had a huge number of people join us (new or the old ones would come back), there'd be a surge of new stuff posted, then that season would end, and there would be a lull. It was constant, and this past year we never got out of that lull, so the decision was made to just pull it.

Amanda was right in that we downloaded all the files. And as you might imagine, there are TONS to go through, and frankly, we have NO IDEA where to start with it all. :D But, we'll do what we can.

As itsbeen20yrs said, the gazette wasn't just the board. There was more to the site. :) PRR is still up, there is fiction that was written by Jordan and a few others that you can read to bring back some memories.

So, yeah, that's why we pulled the plug. :)
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

It's good to see you, Kelly... :D
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

jordan wrote:Amanda was right in that we downloaded all the files.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

:D
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

@Jordan

I would like to say thank you very much for the Twin Peaks message board about all your works, I have already written that during the last days of the forum, but for me TP Gazette Message Board was simply the last real and fantastic forum about Twin Peaks ...dugpa board is imo lot more a TP collection items and a Fenn "Audrey and Cooper" romantic (and in some way second season haters) fans board than a Twin Peaks forum...for me, Twin Peak Gazette board was so great because there were a real passion about my favorite tv show, some great theory about the Black Lodge, the characters, the inspiration and the symbolism..the members has a great passion and it was great to see their discussion about all the aspect of this TV show (the two seasons) and the movie...I don't remember to have seen so much tension in TPG board, not specially more than in others places (including dugpa).

To be honest, I'm surprised to see all the negative comments about this board, it was imo really great and way better than dugpa (no direspect, just my honest opinion)...Twin Peaks Gazette board has a wonderful design who remind directly the tv show (sorry for my english) and I really missed this forum...it's true that there were less discussion during the last year, but it's the same thing for dugpa and for this lack of discussion, it's sadly true for all the forums about an old tv show (there are still some great discussion in imdb page of TP).

So thank you very much Jordan for this board. :wink:
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

Boo!!! :lol:
The Angels will return...