Alternate scenes original broadcast vs. DVD

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Alternate scenes original broadcast vs. DVD

Post by Jerry Horne »

In the Double RR? I'll check now.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Yes. That's the one. I have a feeling that Gold Box and VHS are going to be in synch and the Artisan version is off.

Real interested in the alternate mountains shot.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Artisan: "Now Ed's been doing some undercover. In fact the night you got into town, he was staking out Jacques Renault. We think Renault slipped him a mickey. It felt like somebody hit me with a log splitter.

Original transmission/Gold Box: "Now Ed's been doing some undercover. In fact the night you got into town, he was staking Renault out. We think Renault slipped him a mickey. It felt like somebody hit me with a log splitter.

How odd. The dialog is basically the same. The Artisan adds two words. For the underlined portion above, an alternate take of the dialog line is used. It's dubbed in a bit rough and is at a lower sound level than the dialog around it.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Very odd. I assume the line is in a place where they cut away to another character.

Did you also check the Gold Box?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

OK, yep, slightly different dialog and an alternate dialog take was looped in.

Yes, Gold box is the same as the original transmission.

Does anyone have a copy of the first run version from late April or so 1990? I assume the Summer 1990 repeat is the same as the original transmission.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'll check out the changes in episode 5 tomorrow.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Awesome. Thanks Jerry. Very cool finding these little changes.

Am now also interested in figuring out all of the scenes in the gold box where the quality drops such as Audrey in the Library or BOB running in slow motion.

For some reason I find it very exciting finding out "new" details of our favorite TV show.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:Am now also interested in figuring out all of the scenes in the gold box where the quality drops such as Audrey in the Library or BOB running in slow motion
One more is the scene with Cooper & Annie in the RR in episode 27 where the plates fall/break. The pan out shot seems noticeably rougher. Though not as bad as the Audrey/Earle scene.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I have two televisions in my bedroom and many dvd players. So, it's easy to just sync up the episodes and as soon as a change is made, you are quite aware! Maybe I'll check all the Artisan episodes that way. Although I'm sure if there were more, Josh would have said :)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Are the stand-alone season 2 DVD set & the Gold Box the same? Does the season 2 set have the same alterations to the Maddy murder as the Gold Box?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross are you referring to the slow motion drip or the actual pan? Would love a screenshot.

I'm guessing that the effects shots could be subject to the same. Pretty much any shot with slow motion or special effects.

Did the Josie in doorknob, owl flying, Nicky bubble, storm clouds after Briggs appears, Briggs account of journey, or other fx shots seem to be of lesser quality ?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Ross wrote:Are the stand-alone season 2 DVD set & the Gold Box the same? Does the season 2 set have the same alterations to the Maddy murder as the Gold Box?
I believe they are since Paramount and CBS are owned by the same parent company.

But then again, I don't recall checking. Might as well check if someone is up for it.

All my DVDs are in a box in my office and Maddy murder scene would have to wait till the little one is asleep.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:Ross are you referring to the slow motion drip or the actual pan?
Its the whole panning out shot, from the beginning of the scene to when the camera switches. Once it cuts to their kiss, its fine (including the slow-mo drip).
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sam Howzit »

Fascinating thread! I missed the original ABC broadcast but picked up around the time Bravo started showing the series for a few years. I have them recorded on VHS and watched them many times in college. I wonder if I should bother reviewing those recordings? I'm somehow doubtful there will be much to find (other than grainy memories - ha!)
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

dugpa wrote: Did the Josie in doorknob, owl flying, Nicky bubble, storm clouds after Briggs appears, Briggs account of journey, or other fx shots seem to be of lesser quality ?
I always feel the opening of Episode 20 (Briggs in the chair, talking about his disappearance) looks pretty rough.

And also, the scene (end of episode 8, or maybe episode 9?) when the Giant returns to Cooper at the Great Northern and that bright ball of light streaks up from the floor to Cooper's face... to me, that's the worst-looking of them all in terms of a change in the quality of the film.