Alternate scenes original broadcast vs. DVD

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: Alternate scenes original broadcast vs. DVD

Post by qbin2001 »

thegreatnorthern wrote:Also, just a note the room numbers change as hawk looks at the sign in front of him and to his right, while pursuing the one armed man
the morgue, room 205, becomes, 241
and the oxygen storage, room 203, becomes 231
these are from the itunes 1080p
I think the 720 and gold box edition are consistent
I think that for the broadcast version the shot was altered - they saw that numbers are different and changed it.
It looks like the original shot (probably still photo??) of the wall was taller (with 'exit' sign) and the middle part (with sign and numbers) was cut out.
Still from broadcast version looks like edited in the middle. The DD/720p/1080p version has the light from the "exit" sign at the top of the frame.
Probably the original (taller) photo or altered shot wasn't available, and they used what was available (maybe from workprint edit?).

Oh, and I'm 100% sure that the original broadcast version has "Exit" sign. I don't know why, but I remember that one detail clearly for last 20 years.
AKI

Post by AKI »

I do not know if this had been mentioned in the past, but at the beginning of Part 15 of the Leland / Bob leaves to take Maddy's body golf bag in the car, so he stopped in front of the mirror at home. Gold version of the box, as well as other DVDs in the picture we see in the mirror only to Bob's face, but when I bought and watched the old box for video ("wooden box", a French version, that is, a series dubbed in French) so Leland and Bob's face at the same time as it shifts with time in the mirror.

That is to say that the box is talking about.
Attachments
vhs boxset.jpg
vhs boxset.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 7925 times
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

This is just strange that I haven't yet noticed this but when comparing the laserdisc transfers to the now available 1080p version, I watched the HD 1080p version of Ep.1, About half way in .. as Donna arrives to console Mrs. Palmer, Donna turns and leans to sit on the sofa next to Sarah, and you can clearly see Donna's reflection pass through Laura Palmer's framed prom picture on the sofa table behind them, which is kinda weird - but wait there's more, this happens just before we see Sarah's vision of Laura's face overlayed on Donna's, as seen by psychic Sarah,
only noticed this because of the improved video quality.
Attachments
ep1.jpg
ep1.jpg (202.31 KiB) Viewed 7810 times
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

Neat find greatnorthern! i didn't catch that when i was doing comparisons! Thank you!
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Audio difference in the Pilot:

Audrey tells Norwegians about Laura - "The Norwegians" track (heavily edited) on DVDs has last note in 5.1 version, doesn't have it on the original broadcast 2.0 soundtrack.

When James arrive at the Gas Farm on his bike and we hear bell twice "The Bookhouse Boys" track in the background has repeated twice 1 second part of the track. But there are different part of the track repeated in the 5.1 version and the broadcast 2.0 version.

And another bad quality take:

Jacoby's face with zoom to his eye after attack in ep. 7
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

qbin2001 wrote:

Leo at the Windome's cabin: wood shots are blurred, as is owl flying f/x shot.
I didn't notice this last time I watched. Which episode was this from?
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

dugpa wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:

Leo at the Windome's cabin: wood shots are blurred, as is owl flying f/x shot.
I didn't notice this last time I watched. Which episode was this from?
Episode 21 [S02E14]

42:58 woods (little blurred but ok it's a night shot)
43:04 Leo in the Woods (ok)

Bad shots starts here (43:11-43:28)

43:11 Woods and owl (many lines across the screen)
43:13 Leo (blured, but maybe it was shot that way)
43:18 clouds over top of the woods (very, very bad shot)
43:22 (dissolve to) another clouds over the woods (very, very bad shot)

Bad shots ends here.

43:28 Leo (ok)
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

If you're talking about the iTunes HD versions there's a few of those bad shots, the one that sticks out for me is the giant appearing to Cooper and telling him the 3 things. It's because these are effects shots done on a digital intermediate, so there isn't HD versions of them. Unless they re-do those shots from scratch they'll most likely appear like that on any BluRay too.