Alternate scenes original broadcast vs. DVD

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

I while back, probably when the gold box came out in 2007, there was a discussion about how they had altered a few scenes on the DVD. I don't remember if that discussion was on the now defunct Twin Peaks Gazette or here, but I was wondering if anyone else remembers this discussion.

Specifically, I remember a alternate angle of Maddy laying on the floor all blooding from episode 14 (counting pilot as episode 0) also known as season 2, ep 7. It's at the 43minutes and 47 second mark.

Does anyone remember this thread I'm talking about, or maybe we should start it again? What other alternate takes have shown up over the years on official releases?
Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Alternate scenes original broadcast vs. DVD

Post by Ross »

jlyon1515 wrote:I while back, probably when the gold box came out in 2007, there was a discussion about how they had altered a few scenes on the DVD. I don't remember if that discussion was on the now defunct Twin Peaks Gazette or here, but I was wondering if anyone else remembers this discussion.

Specifically, I remember a alternate angle of Maddy laying on the floor all blooding from episode 14 (counting pilot as episode 0) also known as season 2, ep 7. It's at the 43minutes and 47 second mark.

Does anyone remember this thread I'm talking about, or maybe we should start it again? What other alternate takes have shown up over the years on official releases?
There was a discussion on here about the differences. We should try to find it. There is definitely a couple of changes in the Maddy scene. One is the alternate angle you mention. And one is a missing section when Maddy first sees Leland.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

There was this thread:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... =the+glove

and this one

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lterations

But can't seem to find the one where there was someone that posted the side by side comparisons. The search isn't returning it for some reason.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

Yes Jared. I remember...The scene where Maddy is on the floor and the other is Bob/Leland running to Maddy after smiling at her...Differences were in both.
1) From dvd
2) Original broadcasting

:!:
Attachments
nuovo-1.jpg
nuovo-1.jpg (16.51 KiB) Viewed 14623 times
Roomservice...
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

There was a thread on the Gazette for sure as I had it linked from the main site. Would be good to compile all the changes.

I recall that Josh Eisenstadt told me of one where they changed an entire line from the first season I believe from Truman. Don't recall the episode but he said it was an entire line that differed between the VHS and the DVD.

With a possible Blu-ray coming, if we had a compiled list, it could be something that could be given to CBS to research to find the materials.

Let's try and compile a new list with screenshots here.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

piero wrote:...and the other is Bob/Leland running to Maddy after smiling at her
The TV version was better...
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

Does anyone have a complete VHS transfer of the series, that is the original vhs digitized ? Maybe you need a video converter of some kind ..
Starting to wonder what else I've missed, since the dvd's have been released
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

thegreatnorthern wrote:Does anyone have a complete VHS transfer of the series, that is the original vhs digitized ? Maybe you need a video converter of some kind ..
Whole killing Maddy scene was redone from scratch for DVD edition, and don't exactly match to TV version (1 second longer/shorter takes, differences in blending during 'dance', and of course Maddy's shot).

Another differences:
- video change: one Josie shot from episode 5 was removed (beginning of the GN party - it was used twice in TV version by mistake) - but it is present on the ARISTA release.[edit: it was already corrected on ARISTA edition]
- audio change: episode 5 after Hank shows at RR, Shelly watches ITL on the TV in the diner - dvd version has dialogs, TV version was silent
- audio change: 'Windom Earle' at the end of the episode 28 is VERY silent in DVD
- audio change (ARISTA edition): end of the episode 2, DofTM are not faded out after last scene but continues on end credits (I like this version better).
- audio change: sheriff's line chang I think was during the double mill's books scene.

BTW, the first Spanish DVD release (long before GoldBox) as I remember was transfered from VHS source. I think I have rips from season 2 somewhere...

I have to find some tome some day and comapre it all shot 2 shot...
Last edited by qbin2001 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Wow, seems like there are alot more differences than I thought! From the original vhs to the dvds
I think dugpa is right, maybe it's time to compile a complete list of differences with screenshots
I love the high resolution of the new dvd releases, however I am one to preserve the integrity of
the original airing broadcast, in terms of quality and composition. I had no idea there was editing
occuring when the transfers took place, time to dust off those vhs box sets
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

qbin2001 wrote:
thegreatnorthern wrote:Does anyone have a complete VHS transfer of the series, that is the original vhs digitized ? Maybe you need a video converter of some kind ..

- audio change: 'Windom Earle' at the end of the episode 28 is VERY silent in DVD
You can hear the line on the 2.1 audio track. It's buried in the 5.1
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Also, from episode 7, the dvd version drops the 'To Be Continued...' card from the ending.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Great lists. Hope we can get some screenshots and video and audio caps as well.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

My biggest gripe was the alteration of the "Leland/Bob runs at Maddy" scene. In the original broadcast version... It made you laugh- in a good creepy Lynchian way. The way it is on the DVD sort of removes that aspect of it.
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

I agree, apparently they may be more alterations and edits previously undiscovered in all the original episodes,
Just assumed that the quality controls during the transfer process would have been strict not to modify, alter,
edit out or add in any material that was not of the original airing broadcast's integrity. I think I read that David
Lynch himself oversaw part or most of the gold box transfers. Now that I know there are differences
it begs the question, what else is different from the original vhs versions, and what else was left out ?
New doesn't always mean improved.
I am going to begin a complete original material conversion transfer, Pilot, ep.1-29, even fwwm,
From the original 1991/1993 Vhs box sets episodes 1-29,
and the complete series Worldvision release box sets on Laserdisc episodes 1-29

Basically I am going to dust off and digitize the Vhs versions and the Laserdisc versions finally,
after all these years, and see what I've been missing, I know the fine grain quality
of pixelation, tracking, low resolution, etc. may be there but more than aspect ratios and color filters,
I am looking for edits, differences and changes to the originals !
Edited scenes, camera angle cuts, and deleted original material !
This may take some time but will update with more soon ..

For those who haven't yet read it,
Dugpa has a must-read comprehensive look into the ups and downs of twin peaks home video :
http://dugpa.com/features/a-history-of- ... ome-video/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I know there are some issues with the framing that reveal some info that shouldn't be seen as well.