First time you saw Fire Walk With Me

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

How did you first experience Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Theater
49%
TV or Cable
10%
VHS
29%
Laserdisc US Transfer
2%
Laserdisc Japan Transfer
No votes
New Line DVD or other using New Line Transfer
10%
Second Sight UK DVD
No votes
MK2 DVD or other using MK2 Transfer
No votes
MK2 Blu-ray or other using MK2 Transfer
No votes

Total votes: 41
dugpa
Site Admin

First time you saw Fire Walk With Me

Post by dugpa »

Share your experience on where you were and how you experienced the film for the first time.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Re: First time you saw Fire Walk With Me

Post by jmichael »

My parents saw it in the theater and then forbade me from seeing it. As soon as it came out on VHS, I conned my grandmother into renting it for me and my best friend and I watched it in secret at his house. Forbidden Peaks is the best kind of Peaks! :wink:
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I saw it for the first time many, many years ago on TV... A catalonian TV channel, and obviously it was dubbed in catalan... I'm not sure FWWM was released in theaters here in Spain, at least it wasn't in my city...
mavenickster
Roadhouse Member

Post by mavenickster »

I think I saw it in 1994 or 1995, when it was first broadcast on TV here in Italy. Actually, I recorded it on VHS as it was broadcast late at night and I watched it the following day.
By the way, here it Italy it originally had some scenes cut out as it was too long to be shown in cinemas!!
I remember that I found it terribly boring as I was expecting something like the TV series.
(The second time I saw it was last December on DVD.)
The Double R
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Double R »

I will probably be shunned for saying this, but the very first time I saw FWWM was on the Internet. Since then I have been somewhat fanatical and own multiple versions :)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

saw it on VHS in '98 after a marathon of the series, with no 'sense of urgency' due to having read that it didnt really resolve any of the cliffhangers. i was very underwhelmed and the overall feeling was 'meh', and i dont think i watched it entirely again till it was on dvd in '02 or so. it's grown on me considerably since, but it did not leave much of an initial impact. still many petty gripes, which i'll spare you.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I was there opening night on the U.S. first run.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I saw it on opening weekend in 1992. I was hooked on the series during its original run, and there was no way I was going to miss this movie!

I was only 11 years old, so I bribed an older cousin to take me to see it.

Also if my memory is correct, I didn't even hear about a "Twin Peaks movie" being in the works beforehand so it was a great surprise to me that I started seeing TV spots for the upcoming release in theaters and only had to wait a few days/weeks to see it. :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:I was there opening night on the U.S. first run.
Me too. And I managed to see it two more times in theaters before it (very quickly) disappeared.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Jerry Horne wrote:I was there opening night on the U.S. first run.
Me too. But in Poland. It was the only chance to see it in the theater. It went off the screen next week. And never came back :(
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I wasn't allowed to watch it (I was 13 at the time), so I taped it off of Showtime very late one night in secret (early '94), and then watched it in secret another night, very late. I had to watch it with the volume practically down to 0 so that my parents wouldn't hear! And to be perfectly honest, I was so freaked out and disturbed by it that I had to turn it off halfway through and leave the 2nd half to watch a week or 2 later.
Last edited by TheArm on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Leo K
Roadhouse Member

Post by Leo K »

I saw it at the Apache Mall theater in Rochester, Minnesota, when it first opened in 1992.

I haven't yet seen the series, but I was a fan of Wild at Heart, so I didn't want to miss Lynch's latest film. The experience changed my artistic life, and I went on to animation school to get my bachelors.

What impressed me was the different changes in mood, especially the different tone between the first thirty minutes and the rest of the film. The coda (The angel and Laura dissolving into white) is the clincher and made me revist the movie four times while it ran. I've been obsessed with the movie and series ever since.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

The Double R wrote:I will probably be shunned for saying this, but the very first time I saw FWWM was on the Internet.
Shun you!!! Shun you a hundred times!!!

:wink:

qbin2001 wrote:in Poland. It was the only chance to see it in the theater. It went off the screen next week.
Now c'mon! it wasn't that bad. It can't have been that bad because myself I went TWO times to see it in cinema in Warsaw. First time, with a friend who was the best co-Peaker ever (we celebrated New Year's Eve once together, too, watching Ep.29 so that it ended three minutes to midnight) and some days later with a girl I was in love with... perhaps it wasn't the best dating movie but she knew I was a Peaks maniac anyway :)

Now I can even check the dates! Here we go - 1993 April 25th for the first time and May 12th for the second.
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
B..

Post by B.. »

I saw it that opening Friday night in late August. I had promised my girlfriend at the time (who was out of town for the weekend) that I would wait for her to see it, but I just couldn't . We went to see it together the next weekend. I never told her that I already saw it, but I think she knew.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

FWWM had a very limited release in theaters here in Brazil, back in 1992. Only a few art cinemas in a few major cities.
I was too young at the time, 6 years old, didn't even knew what Twin Peaks was.
I watched years later, in 1997, I was 11.

I had just finished watching the show entirely and of course, I was dying to watch FWWM, but my parents wouldn't let me. "The show is ok for you, not the movie", lol. I had to wait until one weekend, when they went out. I rented the movie without their knowledge and watched while they were out.
A lot of scenes didn't made sense to me, and some of them were a little bit brutal (like Leland killing Teresa Banks and Leland/BOB raping Laura).
It was after I became more mature that I started to enjoy and comprehend the movie as it should be.