A thread of many questions

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ImALog

A thread of many questions

Post by ImALog »

1) Why did MIKE cut off Philip Gerard's arm?

2) Who is "the devilish one" and why did he touch MIKE?

3) Why/how did MIKE turn Philip's arm into a sentient dwarf?

4) Why were they all trying to stop BOB (or help Cooper stop him) if they were his pals?

5) If they weren't his pals, why did they all meet up casual as can be at the end of the film?

6) Why was there a monkey in the film and why was it only shown in close-up a few times?

7) Why did BOB bring Leland into the Lodge with him? And why did he throw his blood everywhere?

8) Why is BOB the only murdering rapist in the Lodge if they all apparently want this "garmonbozia"?

9) If MIKE can possess people and know where BOB is, why didn't he stop him himself instead of having his arm-dwarf string Cooper along in dreams?

10) Why did Josie get stuck in a wooden dresser knob in the series? No one else BOB killed did that.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Re: A thread of many questions

Post by Fire »

All of this is from what I gather and is subject to being not so accurate.
ImALog wrote:1) Why did MIKE cut off Philip Gerard's arm?
Getting rid of the tatoo on his arm.[/quote]
ImALog wrote:2) Who is "the devilish one" and why did he touch MIKE?
I don't think anyone knows this one haha.
ImALog wrote:4) Why were they all trying to stop BOB (or help Cooper stop him) if they were his pals?
They are "pals" in the loosest sense of the term. As I see it, they are playing a competitive and deadly game against each other. So they are pals in the fact that they are involved in this game, but I don't think there is much chumminess between the two. MIKE clearly disproves of BOB and vice versa.
ImALog wrote:6) Why was there a monkey in the film and why was it only shown in close-up a few times?
This actually involves off screen information. As I can tell there were plans for a Judy characters either involving another Blue Rose case, Teresa Banks, or Josie's sister. You can find a much more detailed explanation of this by checking out any TP related fan site.

ImALog wrote:7) Why did BOB bring Leland into the Lodge with him? And why did he throw his blood everywhere?
Garmonbozia!

Didn't answer questions I felt were a little too helpless, but you can easily answer these questions by visiting Twin Peaks Mythos or anyother website along those lines.
ImALog

Post by ImALog »

Fire wrote:[snip]

Garmonbozia!

[snip]

Seems to me if he didn't want the tattoo, he could have gotten a new host...And I don't see how a monkey connects to Judy (aside from saying the name once). Why a monkey? A talking monkey? I've seen older drafts of the script. Of all the Judy-related bits removed from the final product, he leaves in a monkey? Oh Lynch, you will be the death of me...

And I thought BOB got his garmonbozia from killing. Never brought his victims into the Lodge for that. Though in retrospect, I guess it makes more sense to get it from his possession victims (after all, what could cause more "pain and sorrow" than being forced to rape and murder your daughter...And niece...)

...But that begs the question of why he gives it up to MIKE...

And I can't for the life of me find a fansite that's still active. I only found this one sifting through a bunch that were dead. Recent activity on most seems to be four years old. Three at best.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

ImALog wrote: And I can't for the life of me find a fansite that's still active. I only found this one sifting through a bunch that were dead. Recent activity on most seems to be four years old. Three at best.
fansites? a few to mention are twin peaks archive, in twin peaks, (the two best IMO), as well as welcome to twin peaks and my site has quite a bit of tp content as well. a
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

ImALog wrote: ...But that begs the question of why he gives it up to MIKE...
MIKE was the proper owner of said garmonbozia, BOB cheated.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

It seems to me that BOB has a look of disgust on his face when he is forced to give it to the Little Man. More evidence of the Little Man being the controller of the Lodge is seen when he touches Mike and the two recite the infamous line. It is obvious that Little Man and BOB do not agree and this is probably because Mike's hatred of BOB was transplanted into his "arm" (Little Man).

When Leland kills himself and BOB is forced to flee he remains hostless until he enters Cooper, a desperate attempt by BOB in my opinion to one up Mike by appearing inside his friend. Possibly even a way to get to Mikes Host by hiding in plain sight. He may also have not been allowed to even enter Leland. There are bits and pieces that back up that possibility in Mikes search for BOB and the fact that even after BOB has "separated" from Leland in FWWM he re-enters him sometime before the second season premiere (when his hair turned white). Also look at the line in the camper when Mike yells out "he stole the ring".

I LOVE discussing all these possibilities. What a legacy Lynch and Frost have left us.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

Imho...
ImALog wrote:1) Why did MIKE cut off Philip Gerard's arm?
Wrong question. Philip Gerard cut off his arm to get rid off MIKE.
3) Why/how did MIKE turn Philip's arm into a sentient dwarf?
The Dwarf IS MIKE.
4) Why were they all trying to stop BOB (or help Cooper stop him) if they were his pals?
Laura is the prize of a game between BOB and MIKE. MIKE tries to stop BOB to earn the prize.
6) Why was there a monkey in the film and why was it only shown in close-up a few times?
The monkey is Laura. We see it with a mask at the begining of the movie (convenience store scene) when she is threatened by BOB. Once she's dead, she's free of BOB, that's why we see it (blue, like Laura's face in the water) without the mask.
7) Why did BOB bring Leland into the Lodge with him? And why did he throw his blood everywhere?
BOB has cheated by killing Laura, stealing the corn of MIKE. Both MIKE and BOB confront each other with the guy they possess.
Throwing blood seems like giving back some Garmonbozia...
8) Why is BOB the only murdering rapist in the Lodge if they all apparently want this "garmonbozia"?
Inhabitants of the Lodge (at least BOB and MIKE) want to possess humans. MIKE and BOB use different ways achieve this.
9) If MIKE can possess people and know where BOB is, why didn't he stop him himself instead of having his arm-dwarf string Cooper along in dreams?
Once again, the Dwarf is MIKE. I think MIKE and BOB play a game in wich they can't fight each other directly. They have to play by the rules (even if BOB cheats in the end).
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.