Cooper and Philly.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BOBscaresme

Cooper and Philly.

Post by BOBscaresme »

As I'm born and raised not far from the city of Brotherly Love, there's something I've wondered about the character of Dale Cooper. Was it ever mentioned that he was a native Philadelphian? Coop doesn't come across to me as very 'Philly'. Not that I'd expect him to be like 'Dis churry pie ain't got nuttin' on some Tastykakes or some strawburry wooder ice. Put da Eagles game on!", but I'd expect a slight bit of urban edge.

It's clear he isn't native to a region like TP's Washington, of course- as he finds the culture a little alien and eventually seems to fall in some love with it.

I've read of Lynch's time in Philadelphia, and I suppose it would be a good guess to view Cooper in the same way, as someone who was not born there but was there for some years (In Dale's case, working with the FBI).

A strange topic to make, I guess- but the discussions here have covered so much! I did love that they mentioned my local city on the show when I was watching as a kid.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Re: Cooper and Philly.

Post by Henrys Hair »

Cooper's story pre-Twin Peaks is in the 'My Life, My Tapes' book, which unfortunately I don't have to hand right now. From memory, Coop isn't native to Philadelphia, but was posted there for an FBI investigation. And welcome to the board!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

pretty sure Cooper grew up in Philly according to the book...and the book is gospel IMO 8)
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

You could well be right - I'm probably thinking of Pittsburgh
BOBscaresme

Post by BOBscaresme »

Henrys Hair wrote:And welcome to the board!
Thank you! This is a good place, pretty much the center of all TP-related stuff on the internet from what I can tell. It's great to see the show still generating discussion after all these years.
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

According to his biography, Cooper was born and raised in Philadelphia. Local boy myself, so I am always stoked that this is Coop's hometown.
B..

Post by B.. »

I guess I could picture Cooper walking around the Gallery with his Flyers jersey on. :P