Twin Peaks Fan Edit on Season 2

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mysterioso

Twin Peaks Fan Edit on Season 2

Post by Mysterioso »

Hello. I am consideration a Twin Peaks Fan Edit and look for those with edit skills in Adobe After effects to collaborate. Must have passion for Twin Peaks. Please send me PM mail if interested.

Fiero
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Fan Edit

Post by garethw »

Not sure if you're aware that someone's already done something like that. Check out this thread:

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1701

As you can see, it was uniformly adored. :)
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

I have seen and it is nice but not like what I and others who collaborate intend. I plan on taking in FWWM and gain much inspiration on changes thread for this board.

Thank you for link.
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

I am asking forum members, for use of the materials that are available, what are ideas you would try to fan edit the series or film feature?

What changes would members like to see?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

just steamline it -leland dies, three days later, Cooper tells Audrey about Windom. Earle arrives, cut Annie and Wheeler, Little Nicky and Evelyn. Keep Audrey's speech, superimpose her image on Annie's face in the Black Lodge, dub Cooper's voice at the end to "How's Audrey?" problems solved.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

Could that really work? I mean, how many Episodes could there be if you cut all of that?

Thinking about it, did the romance between Audrey and Cooper started to fizzle before Episode 16. Wouldn't you have to also have to have Audrey in place of Annie in all of the romantic build-ups?

If it would still be believable and if it were possible to somehow superimpose Audrey in place of Annie, that would be ideal. I would think that the romance would have to be built up a bit more.

But realistically, you can only do so much superimposing and if you are serious about doing a fan edit that would please the majority of the fans, I would suggest the following cuts:

Annie comes to town
Wheeler Comes to town
Evelyn - James just rides off into the sunset and is not heard again until the post card
Little Nicky - agree
Ben Horne Civil War - have him go from depressed to wanting to be good
Pine Weasel
Nadine and her super strength/romance with Mike

Things that may consider leaving:
Eckhardt and Josie - I'd probably leave this in.

Things that I'm on the fence about if you were really trying to streamline:

Cooper and Renault Showdown???
MT Wentz???
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I was just joking and being glib.

To me, the second half of the second season is too much of a mess to fix.

But the above is the basic prinicple of the succinct rest of the season outline.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

I was able to do it. And if I can, you can.

I made "season 3" comprised of episodes 15-29. I even printed them to DVD and made a 5 disc set complete with artwork. It was a fun learning exercise. If you search through the archives here, you'll find a post when I first came up with the idea...

I wanted to leave the final episode completely untouched, and I left episodes 15 and 16 alone, but episodes 17-28 were combined and whittled down to six episodes. Each "new" episode has a running time between 30 and 45 minutes.

Cuts include:

- The entire James/Evelyn saga. Once he rides off in episode 16, you never see him again.
- Every scene involving Little Nicky
- All the Pine Weasel scenes except where Ben introduces his plan to Jerry, Audrey, and John Justice Wheeler and then later when he suggests it be the theme of Miss Twin Peaks.
- Nadine's wrestling career is hinted at, but all of her scenes are gone.
- The entire wine-tasting subplot
- Every scene John Justice Wheeler, except for the scene where Ben unveils his Pine Weasel campaign.
- Harry's drunken hangover
- The entire Lana/Milford brothers love triangle subplot. There's a scene at her wedding, and I still have her trying to fix Miss Twin Peaks, but she has a lot less screen-time now.
- Ben re-fighting the civil war
- And most importantly, I eliminated nearly all of Windom Earle's scenes. Gone are his silly costumes and the scenes with him and Leo at the cabin. By leaving him unseen and in the background, he's MUCH more menacing.
- I re-did the appearance of BOB after Josie died too, combining footage from Cooper's dreams from episodes 2 and 8. Gone is "Coop, what happened to Josie!" Big improvement.

And there's other cuts too which were needed for narrative flow or continuity. Overall, I'm happy with the result. Two of the episodes don't have opening credits since those scenes were cut, and Audrey unfortunately disappears until the final two episodes, but it's the best I could do with what I had to work with.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Very interesting. What other cuts were done for narrative?

I never thought about it but less is more when dealing with Windom Earle. He is much scarier in Episode 29 than in previous episodes.
The Autarch

Post by The Autarch »

uncle_fugly wrote:I was able to do it. And if I can, you can.

I made "season 3" comprised of episodes 15-29. I even printed them to DVD and made a 5 disc set complete with artwork. It was a fun learning exercise. If you search through the archives here, you'll find a post when I first came up with the idea...

I wanted to leave the final episode completely untouched, and I left episodes 15 and 16 alone, but episodes 17-28 were combined and whittled down to six episodes. Each "new" episode has a running time between 30 and 45 minutes.

Cuts include:

- The entire James/Evelyn saga. Once he rides off in episode 16, you never see him again.
- Every scene involving Little Nicky
- All the Pine Weasel scenes except where Ben introduces his plan to Jerry, Audrey, and John Justice Wheeler and then later when he suggests it be the theme of Miss Twin Peaks.
- Nadine's wrestling career is hinted at, but all of her scenes are gone.
- The entire wine-tasting subplot
- Every scene John Justice Wheeler, except for the scene where Ben unveils his Pine Weasel campaign.
- Harry's drunken hangover
- The entire Lana/Milford brothers love triangle subplot. There's a scene at her wedding, and I still have her trying to fix Miss Twin Peaks, but she has a lot less screen-time now.
- Ben re-fighting the civil war
- And most importantly, I eliminated nearly all of Windom Earle's scenes. Gone are his silly costumes and the scenes with him and Leo at the cabin. By leaving him unseen and in the background, he's MUCH more menacing.
- I re-did the appearance of BOB after Josie died too, combining footage from Cooper's dreams from episodes 2 and 8. Gone is "Coop, what happened to Josie!" Big improvement.

And there's other cuts too which were needed for narrative flow or continuity. Overall, I'm happy with the result. Two of the episodes don't have opening credits since those scenes were cut, and Audrey unfortunately disappears until the final two episodes, but it's the best I could do with what I had to work with.
There's a very easy way to get around the whole credits problem; you could always add them in. The credits font definitely exists (I'm pretty sure it's Arial Narrow), and I've used that in a fan video of my own. From then it's a matter of getting the correct color, silhouettes and shadows.

Either way, sounds like a very interesting idea and if it's edited well enough I'm sure it would be a great service to the fans.
"To be in power, you didn't need guns, money or even numbers; you just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't."
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

dugpa wrote:Very interesting. What other cuts were done for narrative?

I never thought about it but less is more when dealing with Windom Earle. He is much scarier in Episode 29 than in previous episodes.
Glad you asked! (You're going to get a much more thorough answer than you bargained for. Ha!)

When I first began this, I quickly learned I'd need to outline everything in advance or else I'd end up with continuity errors. (I learned that the hard way -- I had to start over after a few weeks of work). Luckily, I still have this outline. So here's the full list of cuts:

Deep breath...

Episode 17
- Post-funeral reception at the Palmer household.
- Dr Jacoby and Big Ed admitting Nadine into high school (I moved this scene to the next episode)
- Nadine's cheerleader tryout

Episode 18
- Opening credit sequence with James on his motorcycle (I subbed in the opening of ep. 19 instead and then moved Ben's 'shadow puppet' scene one episode back so this made sense)
- Any other scene involving Little Nicky or James/Evelyn
- Nadine doing leg squats in the weight-room to impress Mike
- Lana and Dougie's wedding
- Dwayne Milford griping at the wedding reception (I was able to cut around this -- the rest of the scene remains)

Episode 19
- Any scene involving Lana, Little Nicky, or James/Evelyn
- Cooper flipping a coin when deciding between two real estate properties
- The discovery of Dougie Milford's body
- Nadine wrestling Mike
- Mike pleading with Donna to help him block Nadine's advances
- Colonel Riley discussing Major Briggs with Cooper and saying his disappearance makes 'the cold war seems like a case of the sniffles.' (I always hated this line.)
- Catherine and Pete having a champagne dinner while Josie serves them in a maid outfit (Pete's sudden, heartless transformation never made any sense.)

Episode 20
- Dick scheming with Andy about breaking into the orphanage
- Lucy reminding Cooper that she's checked the papers and found nothing on Windom Earle
- James phoning Big Ed to ask him for money followed by more Evelyn nonsense
- Audrey finding Ben reenacting the Civil War and then phoning Dr. Jacoby for help
- Andy and Dick breaking into the orphanage
- Malcolm spying on James and Evelyn
- Malcolm and Evelyn discussing James and then embracing

(I had to leave the scene between Ben and Catherine to pad my running time or else this would have been a 25 minute episode.)

Episode 21
- Audrey explaining to Bobby that 'she's the one he needs to suck up to.'
- The scene where Andy pulls off his rubber glove
- Anything involving James/Evelyn, Ben/Civil War, Little Nicky, Lana, or Donna arriving at Wallies
- The Major arriving at the sheriff's station and collapsing
- Leo arriving at Windom's cabin (I moved this scene to a later episode to delay Windom's reveal)

Episode 22
- The 'chess piece' opening credit scene is relocated to a later episode.
- Anything with James/Evelyn/Donna, and Ben's Civil War
- Anything with Windom & Leo at the cabin. (This includes him supervising Leo writing the poem to be sent to Donna, Audrey, and Shelly.
- Cooper still finds the mask of Caroline on his pillow, but the scene begins with him entering his hotel room. Windom in his wig/mustache disguise is cut.

Episode 23
- John Justice Wheeler arriving at the Great Northern/ Audrey receiving her third of Windom's poem
- I cut around around Windom leaving the poem for Shelly, but the rest of the diner scene remains
- Anything with Windom and Leo at the cabin
- James and Donna's picnic
- Ben Horne, Audrey, and John Justice Wheeler dining together
- Donna, Audrey, and Shelly meeting at the Roadhouse with Windom spying on them
- Cooper's vision of BOB is altered, and BOB's dialogue is removed. (The Josie/door knob still remains)

Episode 24
- Harry reminiscing about Josie while a saxophone wails
- Anything with Leo and Windom at the cabin
- Audrey teaching models how to strut/ Dick and Mr. Pinkel talking about the pine weasel.
- Cooper revealing the truth about Josie to Harry
- Windom showing up in disguise at Donna's house
- Audrey's and Wheeler's picnic
- Dr. Hayward discovering from Donna that Windom was at their house
- Windom, dressed as a biker, urging Shelly to enter Miss Twin Peaks
- Harry's drunken nonsense
- Mike and Nadine checking into the Great Northern
- The entire Pine Weasel scene
- Jones undressing and getting to bed with Harry

Episode 25
- Harry beating up Jones
- Any scene with Audrey and Billy Zane's tucked-in sweater
- The beginning of the scene with Cooper telling Harry his hangover cure is altered-- the part referring to Jones and 'sexual jealously' are gone
- The scene with Windom listening in on Harry, Cooper and Gordon Cole is altered. I replaced Windom's reaction shots with shots of the radio transmitter, giving the impression that someone is listening, but not revealing who.
- All scenes involving Leo and Windom at the cabin. This includes him selecting his 'queens.'
- Windom accosting Audrey at the library
- Billy Zane revealing his love for Audrey to Ben Horne
- Windom entering Owl Cave and turning the exposed cylinder (I replaced this with Leo finding Windom at the cabin)

Episode 26
- Any scene with Windom and Leo at the cabin. This includes him shooting the stoner with a bow & arrow
- Dick telling Ben Horne he needs money for his pine weasel-bitten nose
- Both scenes involving Andy & Dick's wine-tasting
- Billy Zane and Cooper discussing love by the fireplace
- Donna asking her parents about Ben Horne at the dinner table
- The half moon/hooded figure
- Cooper finding the giant chess piece at the gazebo

Episode 27
- The opening scene with the giant chess piece
- All Audrey/ Billy Zane scenes. This includes the race to the airport with Pete. This unfortunately meant I had to cut Pete seeing Josie's face/ Ben being startled.
- Cooper meeting with Donna, Audrey, and Shelly at the sheriff's station
- All scenes with Windom and Leo at the cabin
- The scene where The Major is shot with a poisoned dart is altered -- I cut around Windom's horse costume. All you see now is his hand shooting the gun
- Windom interrogating The Major

Episode 28
- Audrey lamenting to Ben that she'll never see Billy Zane again
- Lucy's dance (I tried to cut out Windom's Log Lady costume but couldn't do it entirely, but getting rid of Lucy's dance eliminated a lot of it.)

And that's it! So my new season 3 looks like this:

#1: Episode 15 unedited
#2: Episode 16 unedited
#3: Episode 17 with two scenes of Episode 18
#4: Episodes 18+19 with a few scenes of episode 17
#5: Episode 20
#6: Episodes 21+22
#7: Episode 23
#8: Episodes 24+25 with the ending of episode 21
#9: The beginning of episode 22 followed by episodes 26+27
#10: Episode 28
#11: Episode 29 unedited

The only real problem I have, beside Audrey completely disappearing, is Leo wandering around in the woods for a few episodes before finding Windom's cabin. That, and sometimes the credits don't match who's in the episodes since scenes were moved/cut.

I'll try and figure out how to upload it to Rapidshare so I can get some constructive criticism...
Last edited by uncle_fugly on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

The Autarch wrote: There's a very easy way to get around the whole credits problem; you could always add them in. The credits font definitely exists (I'm pretty sure it's Arial Narrow), and I've used that in a fan video of my own. From then it's a matter of getting the correct color, silhouettes and shadows.

Either way, sounds like a very interesting idea and if it's edited well enough I'm sure it would be a great service to the fans.
I could never figure out how to overlay them onto a scene though. I could do it over a black screen, but that's not what I wanted.
The Autarch

Post by The Autarch »

uncle_fugly wrote:
The Autarch wrote: There's a very easy way to get around the whole credits problem; you could always add them in. The credits font definitely exists (I'm pretty sure it's Arial Narrow), and I've used that in a fan video of my own. From then it's a matter of getting the correct color, silhouettes and shadows.

I could never figure out how to overlay them onto a scene though. I could do it over a black screen, but that's not what I wanted.
I'm not sure what editing software you use, but in my editor (Sony Vegas) I create a seperate track directly above the video stem, where the credits text is overlaid. From then it's a matter of having the text be overlaid on a transparent background (so that the video in the lower video track can be seen beneath the text) instead of a solid color.
"To be in power, you didn't need guns, money or even numbers; you just needed the will to do what the other guy wouldn't."
uncle_fugly
Roadhouse Member

Post by uncle_fugly »

The Autarch wrote: I'm not sure what editing software you use, but in my editor (Sony Vegas) I create a seperate track directly above the video stem, where the credits text is overlaid. From then it's a matter of having the text be overlaid on a transparent background (so that the video in the lower video track can be seen beneath the text) instead of a solid color.
Womble. You can use their pre-loaded fonts but nothing else.... I may look into Sony Vegas. Thanks!
lindseylee

Post by lindseylee »

Wow. Sounds like a lot of work but also a great way to trim some of the eye roll moments of the second season.

I often felt that no one cared towards the end about keeping the quality of the writing in sync with the Pilot and first Season.

I would love to watch these edits if they were made available.

I also like the idea of changing the narratives more than with just basic trims.